Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-20, 02:11 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I’m done with Ebay!

I have bought and sold on Ebay for many years, but it seems like Ebay has become full of dishonest scammers to the point where it’s too risky.

I recently bought a hair product, and the listing said new in box. It said boxes may have shelf wear or imperfections. I bought 4 boxes. There was a photo that showed the front of the boxes close together, and they looked like they were in good condition.

When the boxes arrived, they were crushed, dirty, ripped and taped. That’s how they were sent. The seller had deliberately hidden the damage in his photo. I could tell that the products were old. They were probably retrieved from the garbage.

I contacted the seller, who argued with me, and said the listing said there could be shelf wear. The listing said the seller accepted returns and seller pays return shipping. I was sent a return label. I mailed the boxes back the next day.

Today, I received a partial refund. The seller said he was deducting shipping and a 20% restocking fee, which was not mentioned anywhere.

I opened a Paypal case, in addition to contacting the seller. I took photos of the boxes before mailing them back, because I had a bad feeling that the seller would try to pull a fast one.

The seller has a lot of positive feedback, with several negatives that say the same thing about him sending old, dirty, crushed, torn products. I should have paid more attention to those negatives.

So, I am officially done with Ebay. It’s too bad that the bad apples spoil it for everyone.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 03:08 AM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I’m sorry that happened to you. That is beyond maddening. I recently bought a dvd that arrived in the worst plastic case I have ever seen. It literally looked like it had been driven over. The DVDs were fine though and the outside packing envelope was pristine so I knew the case was damaged prior to shipment. I contacted eBay and worked out a partial refund since the dvds were ok. On top of PayPal you might want to try your hand with eBay too. I have found them very helpful in dealing with garbage sellers. They do seem interested in getting rid of the bad apples. I hope you’re able to work things out.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 03:16 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I’m sorry that happened to you. That is beyond maddening. I recently bought a dvd that arrived in the worst plastic case I have ever seen. It literally looked like it had been driven over. The DVDs were fine though and the outside packing envelope was pristine so I knew the case was damaged prior to shipment. I contacted eBay and worked out a partial refund since the dvds were ok. On top of PayPal you might want to try your hand with eBay too. I have found them very helpful in dealing with garbage sellers. They do seem interested in getting rid of the bad apples. I hope you’re able to work things out.
Thanks. I’m glad you were able to work it out. What kind of feedback did you leave?

I started an Ebay case, but they closed it because I opened a Paypal case. I had to open the Paypal case in order to dispute the credit card charge. I didn’t realize that Ebay would close the case.

I also want to report the seller for selling old hair products, because Ebay has a policy against that.
Old 01-17-20, 08:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

What a mess and how aggravating. I'm so afraid to buy anything on Ebay anymore.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 08:41 AM  
marki64

My husband has commented about his disgust recently for Ebay. I don't think he uses EBay anymore. He seems to prefer Craigs List, especially when selling Packer tickets.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 10:03 AM  
tiletha444

I'm sorry you had to experience that aggravating situation.

I've had a few bad transactions over the years with Ebay -- one as recent as last month. I try to give the seller one chance to rectify the issue. If s/he does not, then I open an Ebay case. I find that Ebay is very quick with resolving my problem.

I've never opened a PayPal case. I'll have to keep that in mind as a backup option.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 10:36 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Sorry that others have also had bad experiences with Ebay. It was great when it first started, before the scammers figured out ways to take advantage of everyone. I sold all my exercise videos on there. I also bought some great stuff on Ebay, including Les Mills Bodypump.

I sent a polite message to the seller last night, hoping he would reconsider, but he wouldn’t give me the refund. He relisted the items after I returned them. I reported the listing because they are old hair products, which Ebay doesn’t allow.

I called Paypal, and they will get back to me. I disputed the charge with my credit card company, too. I always used a credit card on Ebay for Paypal payments because it gives you another way to dispute the charges, if there is a problem.

I left negative feedback for the seller.
Old 01-17-20, 11:03 AM  
Messe

I had a crazy shopping experience on eBay last month — UPS returned a badly damaged item to the seller prior to delivery, and then the seller sent me the wrong item. I asked eBay to intervene when the seller wanted to keep trying to send me the right item, sent photos to document my request for a refund, and eventually received a full refund.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 11:26 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

That is bizarre and I'm sorry it happened to you.

I just bought a pair of Athleta tights on Ebay....they are new with tags, and perfect. I've always had good luck with Ebay.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-20, 12:23 PM  
Fitstick

I couldn’t agree with you more on the dishonesty on EBay! Several years ago I purchased a DVD set on EBay which was supposed to be in excellent condition. Turns out it was scratched up to the point that some of the DVDs did not work. When I contacted the seller she was very rude and did not want to refund me. I had to threaten to report her and then she reluctantly gave me a refund after sending me a scathing email. Too much drama for me, I would rather pay full price! I haven’t used EBay since then.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay