Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-17, 08:58 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

No

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 09:06 AM  
bonbon

Yes!!!!! My husband and I started getting flu shots when we started our family 22 years ago and my kids started getting theirs when they became school aged. Not one of us has had the flu in all of those years. My adult offspring continue to get theirs on their own out of habit.
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 09:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I never used to until about 10 years ago when I had a horrible flu. The virus somehow kept coming back and on the third come-back I developed pneumonia to the point I cracked my own ribs from coughing. Ever since I partake of the annual free flu shot where I work. I still get one or two winter viruses but have not had a flu of that degree again.

My fingers are crossed that I can get the shot this week, because I had a throat virus over the weekend.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 11:15 AM  
Arielle96

I get one every year. They are free with my insurance.
Arielle96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:12 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsyancy View Post
I've never had the flu, but I'm a nurse and with what I do, I wasn't required to get it until a facility that I started working for recently, required it. So I got it last year for the first time in about 5 or 6 years. If it wasn't for the requirement, I probably wouldn't get it.
I have a friend who works in the mental health facility of a hospital. After seeing this thread I asked her if she gets the flu shot. She said she is required to but if she wasn't she would not get it. I asked why and she said she believes it affects your body to naturally fight virus's. I told her that is exactly what I told my physician last year and that I got dreadfully sick with the flu when I got a flu shot. My friend said for some people it will have this adverse effect.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:29 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Never get the shots never got the flu.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:31 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I have a friend who works in the mental health facility of a hospital. After seeing this thread I asked her if she gets the flu shot. She said she is required to but if she wasn't she would not get it. I asked why and she said she believes it affects your body to naturally fight virus's. I told her that is exactly what I told my physician last year and that I got dreadfully sick with the flu when I got a flu shot. My friend said for some people it will have this adverse effect.
I have a nurse friend and she must take it or wear a mask. She chooses the mask.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:36 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

The last time I got the flu (4 years ago), I ended up in the hospital for a week with pneumonia and now have an ICD (defibrillator) in my chest. I got the shot that year, but it was a bad match, and I got it way early -- it had probably worn off.

In those days we were spending summers in Argentina (where it's winter), so I had to get through 2 flu seasons.

Believe me I get the shot. I carry purell. I wash my hands every chance I get. I sanitize the tray table on airplanes and trains...
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:37 PM  
wlorrie

I don't think I've ever had the flu and rarely get colds, but I started getting the flu shot every year about 20 years ago. For people who are on the fence about the shot, I'd just remind you that the shot is not just about protecting yourself, it's also about protecting those around you. For me, that's worth the extra pinch. Just my 2 cents!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 12:45 PM  
cindyw75

I'm for it!

I started getting it a couple of years ago, and I noticed that I don't get sick as often. So, I'm all for it.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flu shot, guillain-barre, mercury, shingles vaccination, thimerisol