Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-16, 07:23 AM  
desderata

Quote:
In Chicago, if it's above 40, folks are wearing shorts. Especially in the early spring. By then folks want warm weather so bad, they will dress for it just to get in the mood.
This. I live in central Illinois and beginning in early March and through November and early December, my DH and DS are wearing shorts. I'm always cold, so I carry a sweater with me even when it's in the 90s, because I can't stand how cold most public places keep the AC.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 01:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I think the OP said she lives in NYC, which I don't find all that cold since I live near there. I'm from upstate NY originally and I think the winters around here are mild compared to what I grew up with, but I guess it's all relative.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 02:10 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I think the OP said she lives in NYC, which I don't find all that cold since I live near there. I'm from upstate NY originally and I think the winters around here are mild compared to what I grew up with, but I guess it's all relative.
I think that is true - I have lived in MD/DC for 18 years now and I think my cold tolerance has greatly decreased - not sure if it is age related or just not being used to colder weather or maybe both. I whine about it being cold here in the winter, but I know it is worse in other places, including other places I have lived -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 02:25 PM  
desie

Is NYC damp cold? Because that is much worse than dry cold, it makes you feel it in your bones.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 05:43 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
Is NYC damp cold? Because that is much worse than dry cold, it makes you feel it in your bones.
I would say so - as is the area I live in now - it is very humid here - and it makes hot weather feel hotter and cold weather feel colder.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 08:51 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=kalliope999;2649666]Betsy had really great advice! Making peace with the fact of the weather, finding beauty in the snowy landscape, getting enough light and exercise to help your mood, and appreciating how the winter makes the other three seasons that much sweeter, can all help a lot.[QUOTE/=kalliope999;2649666]

I live in southern part of Ontario, Canada and our winters have recently varied from heavy snow, arctic temperatures to milder, snowless, bleh, winters. I bundle up, and spend as much time out doors hiking, showshoeing as possible. Skiing was a favourite sport when I had healthier feet. Skating rinks are usually open and cheap. Another good way to deal with the snow is go to an indoor pool and swim. Nothing like a few laps in a pool and a hot shower afterwards to make you feel able to face the cold weather. Yoga inside. Hot chocolate. Sunshine really does help but if it's a winter with a lot of gray - go for the chocolate.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 08:52 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I love what Kalliope said ... find beauty in your landscape.

I live in southern part of Ontario, Canada and our winters have recently varied from heavy snow, arctic temperatures to milder, snowless, bleh, winters. I bundle up, and spend as much time out doors hiking, showshoeing as possible. Skiing was a favourite sport when I had healthier feet. Skating rinks are usually open and cheap. Another good way to deal with the snow is go to an indoor pool and swim. Nothing like a few laps in a pool and a hot shower afterwards to make you feel able to face the cold weather. Yoga inside. Hot chocolate. Sunshine really does help but if it's a winter with a lot of gray - go for the chocolate.

I have autoimmune arthritis, fibromyalgia ... the cold weather can cause extreme pain. In this case, trips to massage therapist, physio, a hot tub ... all help. Heating pads.

My brother lives in Florida so I see the other side - right now he feels housebound by the heat!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 12:52 PM  
Leonana

I'm in Phoenix. I love this thread, and am reading it to virtually cool off, lol.
Old 07-16-16, 01:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My one rule is that I will not walk or hike outdoors if it is below 28 or if the wind chills are ridiculous. If it is above 30 I will literally force myself to go out and get some fresh air and sun.
I actually don't mind cold weather. I don't have to force myself to go for winter walks but I won't go walking if it is lower than about 18 degrees, higher if it is really windy. I also won't go if there is ice on the ground. It's not worth hurting myself no matter how much I want to go for a walk. However this past winter I used YakTrax on my sneakers when there was a bit of ice and it worked OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Nuggie's Auntie summed up two reasons we left DC--the blisteringly hot and humid summers and the complete ineptitude of the public works dept. at removing snow in the winter. People in the DC area seem to labor under the delusion that because DC is south of the Mason-Dixon line, it should never snow there. Actually DC usually gets some snow every winter. Sometimes a LOT. There were several major blizzards during my DC years, some of which necessitated shutting down the federal government for days at a time.

I also wanted to echo what other people said about dressing for winter. I mentioned boots, gloves and outerwear, but long underwear, scarves, and good head coverings are also key. You can't enjoy the winter outdoors if you aren't dressed properly for it.
My son is going to grad school in DC. He lives in a house just outside the district in MD. He said that in addition to the local government's inability to deal with the snow, people do not know how to drive in snow. He was out shoveling his driveway during the awful storm in January and saw a car slide down the road sideways.

Everyone in my family is very heat intolerant. I HATE hot and humid weather and right now it is both in NJ. I really need to walk today as I have been a slug recently. I will have to settle for some indoor cardio because it is just too hot for me now. I suspect my son is hating DC right now too.

Totally agree about bundling up in the cold. Covering my head and neck is crucial. Even if I am chilly around the house just throwing on a light scarf helps a lot.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 04:28 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post

Agree. Damp cold and wind make a huge difference.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, winter blues, winter workouts