Nuggie's Auntie

How to Cheat on your Fitbit

This is funny!

http://www.wsj.com/video/how-to-chea...5C5E5589E.html
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 08:11 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

LOL! I've discovered that I get a spike in activity while I am practicing the piano in the evenings.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 10:52 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

I left mine on top of the clothes dryer once, and the vibration spiked up the number of steps.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 11:06 AM  
Cowgirl32

Haha, airplane turbulance!!!
Old 06-10-16, 11:30 AM  
kalliope999

So funny! I guess if people are forced into it by their workplace, and are trying to get cheaper insurance rates, it's not surprising. People are grumps. Although I hope they realize they are avoiding getting any of the actual physical or health benefits from the activity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
LOL! I've discovered that I get a spike in activity while I am practicing the piano in the evenings.
Ha! See, this is why I think the wrist ones aren't as accurate as the clip styles, like the One! It would be telling you you'd burned many more calories (and therefore you might eat more if you're watching your deficit). And what if you're briskly walking while pushing a shopping cart or stroller? It wouldn't think you were walking at all, right?
Old 06-10-16, 05:10 PM  
MathTeacher

An evil genius thought of attaching it to a drill. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-10-16, 05:58 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
So funny! I guess if people are forced into it by their workplace, and are trying to get cheaper insurance rates, it's not surprising. People are grumps. Although I hope they realize they are avoiding getting any of the actual physical or health benefits from the activity!
The related article ("Want to Cheat Your Fitbit? Try a Puppy or a Power Drill") talks about workplace "step challenges" and cheating for the sake of winning them. (I hope that not too many people are forced into mandatory activity tracking without sufficient reason or a "challenge" that should be optional.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
Ha! See, this is why I think the wrist ones aren't as accurate as the clip styles, like the One! It would be telling you you'd burned many more calories (and therefore you might eat more if you're watching your deficit). And what if you're briskly walking while pushing a shopping cart or stroller? It wouldn't think you were walking at all, right?
I don't know if I'm not doing something wrong with it, but I have a wrist-based tracker on a smart watch, which I didn't buy for the sake of activity tracking. I do keep the step tracker going, but more out of curiosity than out of any desire to track my actual activity with it. It seems to track my actual steps well enough, but some arm-based activities can increase the number suspiciously. I once accumulated over 10,000 "steps" while driving a particular car for some two hours.

Sometime I'll have to see what happens if I'm walking while pushing a shopping cart, though I've found that this thing doesn't seem to depend on any pronounced arm swing.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 11:05 AM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
It seems to track my actual steps well enough, but some arm-based activities can increase the number suspiciously. I once accumulated over 10,000 "steps" while driving a particular car for some two hours.
Funny! I thought they were supposed to be able to tell the difference between car bumps & steps! But we'll forgive your smart watch since it's a smart watch after all, not a dedicated activity tracker, like you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Sometime I'll have to see what happens if I'm walking while pushing a shopping cart, though I've found that this thing doesn't seem to depend on any pronounced arm swing.
I don't think it uses arm swinging to measure walking, but needs to feel the natural rise & fall or shifting weight rhythm of your steps. If your arms are on a shopping cart, they'd be steady instead of moving with the rest of your body, I'd guess.
Old 06-11-16, 12:05 PM  
old lady

There was a FitBit challenge where I work (a zoo). Some of the participants were putting them on the goats in the petting zoo or the elephant dog.
old lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 12:57 PM  
raeven

My hubby found out a few years ago on my fitbit flex that playing guitar is a very quick way to rack up steps.

He also found out that his fitbit one accidentally taking a bath in the washing machine would also rack up a couple thousand steps.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote