Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-15, 01:38 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Miranda's daughter Sahra doesn't use crunches at all, or at least rarely (relying on memory here) but does a lot of standing ab work in her Essentrics DVD workouts. I did the Total BodyToning from the Barre Essentrics DVD today, lots of standing ab work. I also don't recall the Stretch and Strength DVD having any crunches.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 07:15 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=Jennifer R;2548673 I also don't recall the Stretch and Strength DVD having any crunches.[/QUOTE]

The strength workout "Legs and Core" includes both crunches and lying side leg lifts.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 07:17 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Actually, a plank is an isometric contraction. No shortening or lengthening of the muscles involved---->hence no movement. Crunches are a "great big concentric contraction." At least the coming off the ground/curling up phase certainly is. You can add an eccentric phase, though ideally taking the spine into extension (like on an exercise ball etc) to get full lengthening/range of motion in the abs. So Miranda might have something else in mind, didn't think it through, or is just old school as suggested earlier etc. I'm guessing she thinks planks are too risky for a rehabilitative focus. Shoulders, wrists and backs can go south quickly if they are too weak to keep good plank form. Sustained contraction in the pecs/traps can easily cause nerve impingement and this is more likely in folks who have weak abs or pre-existing neck/shoulder tightness.
Thanks for the clarification!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 03:37 AM  
Elzabee5

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
My hunch is because many people who do essentrics/CS have issues they want to work though (potentially wrist problems for example) to begin with & planks would only exacerbate that.
A little late to the party, here, but this makes sense to me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I love the CS/Essentrics standing work and I get that the basic philosophy of CS is flowing not static. But for me the floor core work is uninspired and old school.
[EDIT] Best solution for me is get my core work elsewhere and enjoy the Essentrics standing work!
I like both the standing and the floor work (personally), but I think cross-training with CS & yoga would be a great way to incorporate planks!

I am in quite the workout funk at the moment, but I've been toying around with the idea of formally alternating the two for body shaping and stress relief. I think they both compliment each other well, and you can definitely get your plank/push-up quota through yoga.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-15, 05:35 PM  
cowfishpro

Thanks for your insight, everyone.

I was trying to find out if Miranda objected to planks for some reason, and it appears that she does. I agree that mixing and matching workout genres is a good way to activate the muscles in a greater variety of ways.
Old 07-19-15, 06:31 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Best solution for me is get my core work elsewhere and enjoy the Essentrics standing work!
That's how I feel and that's what I do.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 08:15 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
My hunch is because many people who do essentrics/CS have issues they want to work though (potentially wrist problems for example) to begin with & planks would only exacerbate that.
I agree. If you, as the home exerciser, wants to do planks - do planks. I have been doing CS for years and find her standing ab work quite effective.

Me - I can't do planks properly because my big toes no longer bend. I have hallux rigidus (osteoarthritis of great toe) and the toes have fused. Unfortunately, a proper plank is just something I can't do.

the reason I do CS is because it gives me standing ab options and when I feel the need to substitute an exercise - I do.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote