Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-15, 09:46 AM  
megrod74

What are some CS/Essentrics results? What do you love about them?

I have 15-20 pounds to lose and am counting calories. I am currently doing a BBL rotation, the classic one. Before that I did 6 weeks of Ballet Beautiful and love her workouts (total Body and Cardio Fat Burn). I am looking into the next rotation. Thinking of possibly combining running and BB but am open to something else.. My goals are weight loss and toning up whole body - I am an hourglass but lower body is my hard to tone area.
Anyway, I always see great comments about CS and Essentrics but I am not really clear on whether people have weight loss and toning results. I definitely get the sense that posters love how they feel doing them, which isn't to be discounted. But with more than a few pounds to lose I don't want to plateau.
I am an intermediate and usually do circuit training and running.
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 10:25 AM  
karenl

Gosh..I hope someone chimes in on this as I would like to know also. I have 20-25 pounds to lose and I am struggling to find something I enjoy doing. My problem is I can't seem to stick with anything long enough to see results. It seems the slightest disruption in my life throws me off.

karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 10:36 AM  
Donna D

check out these links:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=133461

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...kinny+Jeans%21

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=pushups
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:00 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've slimmed down, lost weight, and managed my back and hip pain with CS/Ess. I've posted a lot about how great it's been for me and have pretty much abandoned my other dvds except occasionally Ellen or Lee Holden. When I quit doing extreme workouts and went to CS/walking I lost 10 lbs without really trying.

I walk...a lot. In fact, this past week my dh and boys were camping so my daughter and I took over walking the dog duties. I probably did at least three miles a day...one mile at a time. I have lost 2-3 pounds this week.

Someone IRL asked me this week what I do for exercise and I loaned them some CS. I'm not buff but I do have good muscle tone and look fit. I don't think there is a "magic bullet" rotation...you just have to find what you love to do and stay faithful to it. Keep moving every day.

I went to the CS retreat in Colorado in May...it was great. I loved seeing all the CS devotees that only do CS and stay in great shape. Miranda looks awesome and she does about a half hour a day...that is it.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:29 AM  
Elzabee5

I think that this is one of those things you have to experiment with for yourself.

CS/essentrics is my favorite exercise, probably ever. (I think yoga is for calming, CS/essentrics is for stretching.)

Some Benefits: Soooo enjoyable. Increased flexibility. Thinning of arms. Feel good in my body. Body is tighter. Stronger. Greatly improved functional fitness. Fantastically improved coordination. If there's such a thing as a dancer's "body awareness"-- this program delivers it.

My personal experience, however, is absolutely zero weight loss. I have not found this to be particularly calorie burning exercise. As much as I want it to be a panacea, for me, it is not. AND- I AM an emotional eater dealing with a difficult, stressful job. I have trouble passing up on treats during stressful times. So keep that in mind- take my comments with a grain of salt based on that.

This is, clearly, NOT *everyone's* experience.

If you are on the calorie counting bandwagon, that would likely enhance results considerably if you are trying to lose weight. I have not done it myself, but I think it would be a very successful combination if stuck with.

Again, many ladies on this board HAVE experienced weight loss, etc. with this program. And the program is so beneficial and enjoyable overall, why not try? I do think that calorie reduction would be very helpful in combination with this program.

Good luck! and happy stretching
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:37 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I find CS/Essentrics beneficial for general flexibility and especially for upper back/shoulder/neck issues. It has always been a stretchy relaxing add on for me. I do it sporadically and it would be a sub for yoga or general stretching which I do regularly. It's not enough for me on it's own, don't feel like I get worked out. I am a self confessed a cardio junkie and I also love barre and ballet for toning. I think that for weight loss it could be effective if combined with some long moderate cardio like brisk walking. I lost 10 lbs a few years ago doing long brisk walks (12,000 + steps) and yoga.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 12:04 PM  
Demeris

It keeps my spine flexible, especially my lumbar and thoracic spine. It keeps me flexible, mobile, and energetic.

I don't use exercise for weight loss, so I can't speak to that.

I believe it complements T-Tapp beautifully, and I use both of them to stave off the encroachment of physical enfeeblement.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 04:26 PM  
tlchello

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrod74 View Post
I have 15-20 pounds to lose and am counting calories. I am currently doing a BBL rotation, the classic one. Before that I did 6 weeks of Ballet Beautiful and love her workouts (total Body and Cardio Fat Burn). I am looking into the next rotation. Thinking of possibly combining running and BB but am open to something else.. My goals are weight loss and toning up whole body - I am an hourglass but lower body is my hard to tone area.
Anyway, I always see great comments about CS and Essentrics but I am not really clear on whether people have weight loss and toning results. I definitely get the sense that posters love how they feel doing them, which isn't to be discounted. But with more than a few pounds to lose I don't want to plateau.
I am an intermediate and usually do circuit training and running.
I am also curious about this too and am going to try doing only Weight Watchers, walking and CS/Essentrics for the next few weeks. I definitely need to do it for my upper body aches and stiffness but want to see what it does for the rest of my body. I have lost almost 20 pound so far on WW and have another 15 to 20 to go so it will be an interesting "experiment".
tlchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 11:06 PM  
megrod74

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! I definitely intend to try it. Maybe I will combine it with running.
megrod74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 07:14 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I have, like many VFers, chronic pain issues. I find CS gets into those tight areas and releases tension and assists with my pain. I have a battery of physio exercises I'm supposed to do daily but they get a bit dull. Miranda's routines are similar and yet with the beautiful scenery and music - I enjoy her routines much more. I appreciate the flowing gentle nature of her music and movements - not interested in someone like Jilliam Michael ripping "me" to shreds as I pound out burpees, etc. Been there, done that and that's how I ended up with severe arthritis and joint issues.

And that's likely what I like most about Miranda - from her chatter I hear on her dvds - she understands pain. She mentions the issue of athletes in their 30s and 40s having pain-ridden bodies on par with an 80 year old because of lack of emphasis on flexibility. Well, that is me. I'm 47 and always extremely active but now have , I quote my surgeon, "feet of a 90 year old".

So, Miranda helps. I haven't bought her book but am curious.

My one annoyance (besides her tendency to chatter and not explain what she's doing) is that she talks about pain being entirely preventable. That's just not true. People have injuries, chronic illnesses - we can work to control symptoms but saying pain can be eliminated as she does in some of her season 10 episodes is a little frustrating.

I used to do kundalini yoga daily but I was personally getting a bit worried about aggravation of my arthritic spine. I'm more comfortable doing the CS.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, classical stretch results, essentrics, weight loss