Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-15, 11:04 AM  
BunnyHop

My dear old cat did fine health-wise til he was 17. We had to evacuate for a hurricane and wound up stuck in traffic for about 6 hours. He stayed in a vet clinic where conditions were crowded for 3-4 days.
After that ordeal his kidney function was never quite normal again, and his playfulness/energy diminished. His grooming habits had never been all that fussy, but I do think being stiffer did affect his ability to take care of himself.

In his case, a prescription kidney care diet (Purina, a dry kibble) and subcutaneous fluids once in a while helped him feel better/stay alive for another few years. He had trouble getting up on my bed, so I encouraged him to relocate with his heating pad to the front room where he stayed most of the time anyhow sunbathing. He died at 20+ at which point he just seemed to run out of steam. His immune system seemed not to be as strong as it was when he was younger, and he just had one small problem after the other, til he just quit eating.
Old 01-10-15, 12:47 PM  
katmom

As Phyllis stated, if a senior blood panel has not been performed, one should be. This can give insight with issues regarding thyroid, kidney, liver, bladder, and even anxiety. Thyroid, kidney and liver issues can cause a cat to be skinny, have a poor appetite, and be neglectful with their normal grooming. Annual blood panels are something performed on all of my cats to have a benchmark in the event they have health issues.
Old 01-10-15, 01:26 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I agree with the senior profile/blood panel. 4 of my guys are considered to be "seniors" but none are 16 yet, at least as far as we know. One just had a senior profile that revealed the beginning of kidney disease (very common in older cats) and we've altered his diet accordingly.

What you describe sounds perfectly normal, based on other cats that I've had that lived to be 17-18. As long as she is behaving as she usually does and is still eating (even if it's less--after all, if her activity level is decreasing she doesn't need as much food---just like humans!) it seems to be "normal." It sounds like you are taking great care of her, keep up the good work.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 01:35 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Bfit, hope you enjoy many more years with your feline friend.

My last cat lived until almost 20 and yes as everyone says - his behaviour and appearance changed in last 4-5 years of his life.

My cat was blind from age 12-20 and also kidney issues from age 8 onwards and towards end of his life was also on blood pressure medication!

My only regret and something I hope I recall with my current cat is that when they start looking like a bag of bones, are not grooming themselves and smell like urine etc. - they are in an incredible amount of pain. I somehow thought my cat would stop purring and being happy when "it was time to say goodbye". My dog developed cancer, went under the couch and that was it -we knew. The dog looked sick. Cats are better at hiding illness and pain, I think.

I think a good vet can help you manage the cat's senior years. Enjoy your friend.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 01:56 PM  
shawnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
I appreciate this thread as I have two 14 year old cats.

One of them has taken to yowling at night for seemingly no reason...its affecting my sleep! Any ideas/suggestions?
That sounds like it could be hyperthyroidism. I'd suggest getting him/her checked out by your vet. If it's that, it's easily treatable (for the most part).

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandela

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-15, 11:24 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

it sounds perfectly normal

now if the cats starts drinking all the tequila and using the internet.....that wouldn't be so normal :P
Old 01-11-15, 09:36 AM  
samantha-kitty

caterwauling!!!!!

My cat is 20, almost 21 now. Or is it 21, almost 22? I can't remember without looking at her adoption paperwork.

We have been together longer than most marriages (including mine) last and through huge changes in my life (mid-twenties to mid-forties), so I almost can't imagine life without her even though I know that will come.

Definitely skinnier, not eating as well but just as stubborn about food pickiness as always, has lost some teeth so this is probably part of the eating issue, coat scruffier and not as well self groomed, have to clip claws in front as well as in back now, moves like she might be somewhat arthritic, sleeps more, and almost certainly has lost significant hearing as she doesn't wake up the moment I come through the door. Otherwise still has her daily routine and actively seeks out attention and purrs when she gets it.

Basically she reminds me of my 78 year old mother and the elderly that live in my apartment building. My family had another cat that lasted to 18, so I have seen much of this before.

But this: "Oh and if your cat hasn't started with LOUD caterwauling yet - be prepared!"

Between a high stress job, my mother's health issues, my own peri-menopausal changes, and her yowling, I seriously need some sleep!!!
samantha-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 09:44 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane View Post
My Firm Fanny Lifter has a new life as his step for getting on and off the bed.
My 22lb. Maine Coon uses my old Firm Fanny Lifter to get her big fat fanny onto the bed. She has a thing for exercise equipment because sometimes I find her napping on my treadmill. Now if I could just get her to use it .

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 12:34 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Your cat sounds normal to me.

I had a cat who lived to be 18 years old. Looking back, his decline didn't really start until his 17th year. He still had a lot of spark & vitality until the last year or two and always groomed himself well until the end. We didn't have to do anything special for Bob, aside from steps leading to our bed because he could no longer handle jumping that high .... He became skinnier and more lethargic toward the end .... Bob loved to be outside -- he was a stray when he adopted us in 1990 --and used to visit our next-door-neighbors each day throughout much of his life (and torment their two dogs). However, near the end, our neighbors came to our house to visit him because he was too frail to be outdoors, unless it was supervised outdoor visitation ..... He did some loud caterwauling the last 6 months of his life but, oddly enough, it was always during telephone conversations, so I wasn't sure what that was about.... We took him to the vet every 6 months or so during the last two years of his life just to get checked but cancer still got him in the end. It moved incredibly fast throughout his body. We had no idea he had cancer until I came home from work and found him on the floor, crying and half paralyzed. We had to put him down that night.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 01:57 PM  
Orlita

Our cat was a rescue & was 16+ and showing the same changes. He seemed generally fine, but one day we noticed that when he was sleeping, his exhales looked exaggerated in his ribs. So we took him immediately to the vet, and she said that this was the first stage of heart failure -- he was using his ribs/belly to pump his lungs, because they weren't strong enough to pump on their own. The next sign would have been that he would breathe with his mouth open. She said the cat had about 2 weeks left, but it would obviously be an increasingly uncomfortable 2 weeks. So we let him go that day. It felt sudden, but we're glad we noticed this change as soon as it happened.

During his last couple of years, we bought heated cat beds. Well, I got 1 for the old cat but then the younger cat insisted on one, too. So those were a nice treat to make our skinny old cat warmer.

Anyway...keep an eye on her. Watch the breathing. Of course watch if she spends a lot of time sitting staring into a corner or something that indicates that she is seeking a space away from things to go to die. They will look for places when they know their end is approaching. I had a cat years ago who appeared healthy as a horse one day just sit facing a corner, and I recognized it and brought her to the vet. She had kidney failure and I had to (for kindness) let her go that day. She was big and strong, so this was a surprise, too. But I had adopted her as a 10+year-old cat, and she was probably 16+ when we let her go.

Best of luck making the best decisions for your cat's comfort. It's hard but so important.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote