Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-14, 09:05 PM  
Debbie

Does anyone do step aerobics anymore?

Does anyone do step aerobics anymore? If so, who are your favourite instructors or what are your favourite workouts? Any good youtube suggestions?
Old 12-09-14, 09:26 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I still use my Step but I'm sorry I can't direct you to any recent workouts. I use Cathe DVDs (Terminator and Timesaver are my favourites), Keli Roberts Step It Strong and also her Cher workout (VHS release). I have more titles but they are all about 10 years old! I still find it effective cardio workout. My only issue is I struggle with knee issues and need to watch the height and speed of movements.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 09:38 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

I'm a die-hard stepper and I pretty much step every day. The production of new workouts has really dried up over the past few years. Fortunately for me, I think I have probably 99% of all step workouts ever made!

My favourites are anything Evolution Video (now out of business) Amy Bento, Christi Taylor, Cathe, Patrick, Seasun and of course any number of old CIA (also out of business) Wkouts.

There's nothing new. I think the newest are probably Cathe's Party Rockin' Step and Amy's Advanced Step Challenge 5.

I think that new step workouts have probably gone the way of the Dodo bird, although I hope I'm wrong about that!

Any new ones that anyone knows about???
Old 12-09-14, 09:43 PM  
Cher

Step is my favorite form of cardio! I really wish someone would start making step workouts again. My favorites are probably Christi Taylor's & Cathe's. My recent favorite is Cathe's Party Rockin Step #1.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 09:46 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Fitness-Fx has a whole step series called Stomp. They are UK based, so with conversions and shipping, not necessarily cheap, but they have great music and workouts. They are one of those programs that are intended for instructors, but the public can buy the DVDs.
Here's a link to the Stomp DVD listings on their site:

https://www.fitness-fx.com/shop/stomp-fx

They also have other types of workouts, so you can shop around I have several of their offerings and really enjoy them

ETA: Rebecca Small leads a few of them
Old 12-09-14, 10:01 PM  
Sara1000

I'm doin a lot of step because it gets my HR up even though I modify to do everything low impact.

I love Cathe's Athletic Step, the two step workouts in 4 Day Split, and some segments of her Low Impact Hiit use the step. Also there is Step Max from the Hardcore Series and her Low Impact Circuit. Cardio & Weights from the Intensity Series. I recently re-acquired Cathe's Step Blast & Step Pump & Jump just to have a few more options.

And don't forget FIRM Cardio Step Mix, now on DVD.

I have a lot of CIA etc. on VHS but I know most of the Cathe choreography from doing them over the years so I usually pick them.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 10:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love step and still do it a few times a month. I like moderate paced workouts without overly complex choreo. I also have knee issues and use my step without any risers.

Here are some of my favs:

Cathe's Low Impact Step
Cathe's Basic Step
Jenny Ford's Malibu Step - youtube
KCM 30 MTF Cardio Blast
Kari Anderson's Go
Charline Prickett's With Every Step
Gay Gasper's Cardio Crazy
Crunch The Next Step - youtube
Orginal 1992 Step Reebok: The video - youtube

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 10:11 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

YES! I love step. My favorites these days are all older releases: Firm Cardio Step Mix, the original Step Reebok, Gin Miller's Simply Step, Cathe Low Max and Cathe Low Impact Circuit. I also have a soft spot for the Cathes on the Classics DVD: Step Jam, Step Max and Step Heat.

I've never been able to do really dancey step (Amy Bento, Christie Taylor). I have a bunch of older Patrick Goudeaus from the Collage going-out-of-business sale that I want to tackle next.
Old 12-09-14, 10:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I pull out my step when I get bored with other cardio (or want to use it as a weight bench.)

Cathe is who I tend to reach for also, though I have a number of CIA workouts to choose from too! Christi tends to be a little tricky for me, mainly because I don't have the patience to learn some of the complex choreography.

I wish I could get some of the out of print Rebecca Small workouts.

Unfortunately, I don't do too much anymore. I have to keep my step low and can't do all the plyo stuff on the step. I still have quite a few step workouts in my collection I've never even tried.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 10:55 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I've always loved step and the love hasn't faded... I liked heavily choreographed step and athletic drill type step.

Cathe is my mainstay. Party Rockin Step #2 is my favorite newer Cathe. Other Cathe's I frequently turn to: X10-step, To The Max, All Out Low Impact-step portions, BM2 step premix, LIC step premix, Imax2, SJP-step portion, Step Blast.

My favorite step video (aside from Cathe) is an oldie--Kristin Kagen's Step This Way (yes, I'm a broken record on this one). Haven't learned the sequel yet though I own it (it's also available on Netflix).

Speaking of Netflix, they have some CIAs and older Gay Gasper, Amy Bento, Seasun Zieger and such (not streaming). I liked Amy Bento's ASC3 but it requires learning choreo and I tend to reach for what I already know. I am still just learning Seasun Zieger's Straight Up Step and can tell that I really like her style. I can pick up Christi Taylor's choreo but I just don't click as much with her.

For the past year or so, I've been contemplating trying out some of the Group Rx Power Step series, but the cost has so far deterred me.

I've amassed such a collection of older and newer step videos and pick up choreography slowly, so the current dearth of new step releases hasn't begun to worry me yet.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite step, keli roberts, step, step aerobics