Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-14, 09:18 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

DH goes to a Planet Fitness for 10$ a month and has often asked me to join him.. I'd only use it for the cardio machines and not nearly as long as he works out so I've always turned him down so far.. though I am tempted for that price as I miss running on the TM!..

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:29 PM  
violingal3

DH pays about $27/mo for a one club (vs. being able to go to all clubs) membership at 24 Hour Fitness.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:37 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I pay $75 a month for my gym and that factors in a $10 discount. My previous gym was around $83 a month. However, I live in Chicago and the cost of living is high. Also, both gyms have between 80 to 100 classes a week so that is why the cost is higher, too. I am more into classes than equipment.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:48 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I pay $20/month for a membership at Retro Fitness. I use it for lifting as they have a great selection of free weights. They also have the usual cardio machines and weight machines that I won't use.

Back in the summer they started to offer classes like boot camp and they just started recruiting people to get certified to teach body pump and other Les Mills classes. The classes are extra but I am not very interested.

I used to do Crossfit which was $125-175/month. Meanwhile the Retro near me has an excellent trainer.

ETA: I just went to the gym to buy some PT sessions now that my injury is almost healed. They are offering Les Mills Body Pump and CX Works classes in addition to their kickboxing and bootcamp classes. They will be adding Body Flow soon. They are offering a promotion. For a $40 fee I can get unlimited classes for the year if I renew my membership. I am going to try a free CX works class next week but I don't think I will end up taking classes there. I am not interested in Body Pump or Body Flow but it is a great deal for those who want to take classes.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 09:50 PM  
SherBear

I go to the local Y and paid a joiners fee (300 bucks) and then 63 bucks a month. I think it is crazy expensive but it's the closest gym nearby. It's all little kids running around in the winter, not what I want when I workout.

And then they charge more for les mills grit workouts. I pass on those.
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 10:50 PM  
kmissa

I belong to Crunch in NYC $69.99 all clubs and that's considered cheap one if the cheaper options.
kmissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 01:37 AM  
Getfit

I purchased my24 hr fitness membership about 10 yrs ago for $700 for 3 years and after that my yearly fee would be $20 a yr. I am now charged $ 10 a month to use the Super Sport clubs along with my $20 yr lifetime rate . If I joined a club now it would be planet fitness. They are sprouting up all over the place and you can't beat the price.
Old 03-04-14, 07:03 AM  
bearcatfan

I don't know how old you are, but you might want to look into your local senior center - really! I was surprised at how cheap the memberships are. If you are over 55, which my husband is, you can get a couple's membership for $100 a year here.

I also know some of the rehab/orthopedic places around here have attached gyms to which they sell public memberships.

You might want to investigate overlooked places like those. The two I mentioned above have the usual weights and cardio equipment, but no classes.
Old 03-04-14, 08:58 AM  
killoffsonny

I pay 40. I go mostly for the classes. In the summer I will use the machines. Every three or four months I look around for a better deal but I can't find any that are the same price as mine that have better classes. I can find cheaper and I can find better classes but not both
Old 03-04-14, 09:07 AM  
pattyd0319

I am lucky enough to have a gym in my building that has a decent amount of cardio and weight equipment along with step, Les Mills and other classes. It's about 300 a year or about $11 a paycheck. I wish it had Barre classes but I have plenty of DVDS at home. I mainly the gym to squeeze in some running or BodyBump classes during lunch.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym cost, gym membership cost