Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-20, 02:21 AM  
Helen

Every Day in JULY - first half over, BRING on the REST!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
My choice of images this month are all about long term goals.

We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU (but don't kid yourself about it either)

The solstice has passed and we're OFFICIALLY into the 2nd half of the year,
and I'm SURE we're ALL ready for this annus horribilus to be OVER

so let's see it out with an OOMPF!!!
NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:

EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 03:51 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Thank you

Helen!!!! for getting us started.

I can hardly believe it's July and yes --- I think we are all ready for the "annus Horribilus" to be over.

Long term goals? Reflection time? and moving forward. Yep ... 6 months down and 6 to go. We're summer into autumn and you're winter into spring. That whole concept still makes me grin. And I am grateful you pointed this out (the over the halfway mark) so I can do some reflection! ONWARD!!!

I will be back to post. Just wanted to get my Arrow! (you all know how I am).

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 04:23 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - wonderful graphics! I love that the woman in the first picture is not only performing an amazing feat for any age, but she's wearing pearl earrings while she's doing it! Brilliant!

Strength training is never my favorite, so I am committing to doing an episode of Unplugged at least 5 days a week. They are around 25 minutes, no dread factor, and Margaret kills me with such a smile on her face!

7/1 - AM dog walk. PM Unplugged S20:E7 followed by Peloton's 30 min. Disco Fun Walk with Matty. The Peloton walks are such a great use of the treadmill, but they kick my butt every time! Next time I won't try to keep up with the instructor.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 05:52 PM  
Helen

Oh dear, .... mustn've had hit 'submit' last night

Tues., 1st Jul.
48min, Christi - Still Steppin' - Section 1 Mix, 8", with buddy
got too complex in the 2nd section for buddy, started but she floudered.
Intending on finishing tonight, then do the whole thing on Friday to celebrate the end of the week and start of 2 week's holiday.

Glad you liked my pics and notions for July
I really need the 2nd half to be better than the first.
Exercise-wise, not too bad, but weight ? So yes, indeed ! reflection time.
Derby starts back on the 12th as well, limited numbers & no contact.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 07:03 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Thank you for the lovely start, Helen! I certainly hope the second half of the year is better than the first. Enjoy the derby when it starts! I would have loved doing that in my younger years.

Nice goal, Lili! Remember the song "Killing me Softly"? That's Margaret.

I report gardening, dog walks & quilting. I got one quilt all quilted in one sitting. The dogs kept me company.

My goals for the second half of the year are:
1) Work on muscle building to defeat growing older sarcopenia.

2) Get my weight down to what it says on my driver's license.

3) Keep hiking.

Hi, Cleda!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 04:08 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayB View Post

2) Get my weight down to what it says on my driver's license.

[/B]
Oh did this make me smile Kay!!!!!

Will be back later for check in. Reading, but have to go hit some workout!!!!

Cleda
Old 07-03-20, 12:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone, I’m back, lol.
I’m still into my Essentrics studies, plan to submit my exam by next week. Then I’ll have 2 live Skype sessions with the powers that be at head office.

July 1:
~Essentrics class on zoom
~neighbourhood walk
~20 min cardio & toning intervals on the maxi glider
~20 min freestyle rebounding

July 2:
~Essentrics class on zoom
~Neighbourhood walk
~WOW: 30 min walk
~Practiced Essentrics stretch sequences
~Yin hip stretches, my right hip is bugging me

I hope all is well with all of you! It’s late here, time to turn in so I’ll chat more later.
Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 08:22 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Kay - Killing me softly, for sure! Margaret definitely sneaks up on you. I like your driver's license goal!
Pam - good luck with the Essentrics exam.
Helen - the pounds go on so much easier than they come off.
Waves to Cleda!

7/2 - dog walk in the morning, then Unplugged S20:E7 and 1 mile with Leslie. I did some serious housecleaning today, move the furniture and wipe down the baseboards cleaning, so I only had energy for a shorter add on today.
7/3 - do walk in the morning, Unplugged S20:E8 and 30 min Latin Pop Dance w/o with Up To The Beat Fitness.

Old 07-04-20, 05:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

tsk. tsk

How did we drop to the second page? That will never do.
I don't think I finished June. It's the same old same old (I think) just more Peloton, Power Zone Challenge, etc, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat!!!

Pam: Welcome back! we're happy to have you rejoin us and add your Essentrics and fun yoga stuff in the mix! Love the variety.

Helen: I am so glad you got me thinking about half the year. And half to go. Changes perspective of everything. Made me do some soul searching and evaluating. So thanks!!! How on earth can you do derby without contact? (again, I see Helen tearing down the rink like an 80s movie, elbowing and plowing everyone over. )

Kay: EARWORM .... lol . (Killing me softly!) hahahahahahahaha

Lili: again, you have me thinking. I have many (many still in shrinkwrap) many Margaret Richards dvds. I really should start doing some. Not as lofty a goal as you though. I used to do her all the time when she was on our PBS channel here (in the early 80s?) and she definitely is effective. Hmmm. Something for me to think about. Keep on chatting the workouts up.

Looking back at the first half of the year (I swore in the beginning that 2020 would be my year. Little did I know - or any of us know for that matter - a pandemic would hit, we'd be housebound, shortages of toilet paper, life as we knew it would change, etc, etc.) . . . But I am still determined to make it my year. I had taken a 3 week vacation, although I still was treading water, I just wasn't losing. I think I needed it, as now I'm back at it Working with a nutritional coach has been the best thing for me. I am down 47 lbs. and I will be through another great marker by the end of the year. My workouts are spot on, I've done every day since the January 1st and have every intention of finishing 2020 the same. It's certainly been a different year. But I will continue onward!!!

One of my goals for the last half of the year is to improve my cycling and average 20 mph for an hour long ride. My current average is 19.6 mph and that has gone up signficantly since I started cycling. Improvement. Yep .. Power zone (for me) is where it's at. And that's my next goal. Focus, consistency and persistence is where it's at. (I guess I'm warning you all it's going to be Peloton power zone workouts over and over and over until the end of the year. lol)

So on to me, me and MORE of me:

7/1/2020: Denis Morton's 45 minute Endurance Peloton workout & stretch. Had to squeeze it in quickly before work. I do so much better when it's done and overwith before the day begins.

7/2/2020 Peloton Treadmill workout with Adrian (30 minutes intervals) . I ran the whole thing and it actually was a great little workout. He didn''t push me too hard, but hard enough (it was a beginner run) and I Definitely bookmarked it to do in the future. Running (even slowly) is such different mechanics than walking - it definitely helps me.

7/3/2020: I got to my workout late (because I did chores in the a.m. and all that) so I never hit the bike until 4 p.m. I always feel like I have less energy when I do it that way, but no matter. I still got it done. Matt Wilper's 60 minute power zone ride for the challenge. Mostly zones 3, 4 and a tiny bit of 2. Supposed to help us improve our lactic threshold. Ugggg. then I did Oliva's 30 minute power zone ride (to get the Accelerator ride done) and then a 5 minute cool down ride with Denis Morton (to the song "A touch of Gray" .... how appropriate.) and then 2 stretches.

I can't believe that next week starts week 6 of the current challenge?!? Time marches on whether we do stuff or not. Might as well participate!

Had to buy some new uniform pants. Mine were wayyyy to big on me. I will still wear them. Need to have a uniform per day so I only do laundry one time a week (therefore need 4-5 sets) so this works. Eventually they will go though! I need one more uniform jacket and I"m set. Work's been stressful lately, but I guess it goes with the "new territory" amid all this corona stuff. This is when I'm so grateful for my workouts. I can't imagine going into work without doing one. It's a great stress reliever for me.

Ok, that's it for now. I'm off to see what Margaret Richards I have (maybe do some upper body with her? as an add on -- or lower body or or or or ) ......

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 07-04-20, 02:22 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - 47 pounds!?! That's a LOT. Be proud of yourself and continue what is working for you. We are all so different and there is no magic pill.

Happy 4th of July to the Americans here!

7/4 - gardening, dog walk, UP S20:E9, 30 min. Whitney Houston ride with Ally Love. DH says he could hear me singing along! Finally, a 5 min. post ride stretch with Robin. I have been feeling the effects of Unplugged in muscle soreness.