Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-19, 12:20 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Someone recommended So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson to me at a party last night. I came home and checked out the ebook from my library. I'm already about a fourth of the way through it. Is it okay if I drop everything and read it all day?
You have my permission! I have heard of this book but do not know anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julier View Post
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Didn't want it to end.
I loved this too! My next book to read is his The Rules of Civility. It is next months book group pick at my suggestion.

I just finished The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead. Very good and fast reading but most definitely a sad read.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 06:41 AM  
Carol K

I started The Second Sleep by Robert Harris. There will be a mini-series based on this book.
Old 12-13-19, 06:04 PM  
sherry7899

I am reading a Christmas book by Brenda Novak that I borrowed from the library. It is very predictable, and I may just skip to the end.

I started a psychological suspense book called "You Have to Believe Me" by Sunday Tomassetti which has sucked me right in. This one is set in Kansas.

I also started another British psychological suspense book called "The Housekeeper" which will take me longer to get into. There is a trend in these books to have most of the story take place in the main character's mind with long passages of description. I prefer more dialogue. I will definitely keep reading it, though.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 06:54 PM  
sherry7899

I finished a library loan called *Lies" by TM Logan. It is British psychological suspense. It was a little drawn out, but worth reading. I did not guess the outcome.

I finished "You Have to Believe Me" which was very well written.At the end of the book I found out this was written by the author Minka Kent (who I also read) written under a pseudonym.

I gave up on the Christmas book but started "Girl in the Rearview Mirror" by Kelsey Dimburg.

I will get back to "The Housekeeper" eventually.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 07:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Thanks as always difit! I guess December is a slow month.

Here are my reading updates:

Finished A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg, somewhat sappy but good for a light read.

Finished Seanne Corn's Revolution of the Soul, which is sort of half-memoir, half-self help. I didn't really click with me but is likely to appeal to others.

Reading The Interpreter of Maladies. Have read about 4 stories.

Reading The Buddha Walks Into a Bar; almost finished. Liked very much in the beginning but the metaphors haven't really worked for me.

Just started Esther Meyers' Yoga and You.

Happy reading, all!
Just finished Interpreter of Maladies today. Still reading Yoga and You. Plan do read Just One Thing every week during the new year.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 05:23 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We were gone for Christmas and I got a lot of reading done at my in-laws. Recently, I have read:

Fire by Kristin Cashore - I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the series, probably even more than the first one (which I )

King of Attolia - Meghan Whalen Turner - I'm still enjoying this series. Each one is different enough to be really interesting.

The Girl From Berlin - The next book by Ron Balson - I really like his books and this one was good, better than the last couple.

A Gathering of Secrets - Linda Castillo - This is the next in her series. It was good and kept me guessing to almost the end.

The Last Year of the War - Susan Meissner - I'm currently reading this one. It's a slow read, but is keeping my attention. It's an interesting story.

The Bittersweet Cafe - I liked this book, but not as much as the first one in the series.

The Great Village Show - Alexandra Brown - I'm currently reading this. I'm having a hard time getting into the characters, but I'm still reading it, so I must be enjoying it some.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 06:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
We were gone for Christmas and I got a lot of reading done at my in-laws. Recently, I have read:

Fire by Kristin Cashore - I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the series, probably even more than the first one (which I )
This is my favorite of the series. It's so well done. (I didn't like the final book at all -- it was very dark and sad and stuck with me in a way I didn't like...)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 06:26 PM  
alisoncooks

I just finished The Starless Sea from Erin Morgenstern, who wrote The Night Circus (which I lovelovelove). This new book just didn't hit the same spot, though the language is so descriptive and lovely.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 06:55 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished Joel Stein's In Defense of Elitism as well as a book my mom sent me with my Christmas gifts, I Was Anastasia (really liked both). My sister gave me Joanne Fluke's Christmas Cake Murder, so I will probably read that next.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-19, 10:06 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I just finished The Starless Sea from Erin Morgenstern, who wrote The Night Circus (which I lovelovelove). This new book just didn't hit the same spot, though the language is so descriptive and lovely.
I loved The Night Circus, too, and wasn't aware she had another book out. I'll have to see if my library has it.

I got Margaret Atwood's The Testaments for Christmas which I'm excited to read!

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading