momofcha

Thank you for sharing - so inspiring!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 06:36 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I am coming up on an anniversary with Essentrics.

I love it. It helps me feel better. I use to treat myself with 2 hour massages to try to alleviate pain and muscle aches, muscle cramps, etc. Massages were a treat and few and far between.

Daily Essentrics has eliminated my back pain so much that I may have a twinge twice a year. I can't imagine not doing Essentrics. I exercise to feel better. I mark episodes to match my day. This one for feet. This one after raking. Another one after boot camp. I can continue to do what I want with Essentrics.
Yes DCW, I know what you mean and why! It's great movement for sure!
Old 12-11-18, 09:41 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Great results, congrats!

The one that hit home with me is "I have less bodily pain". For the past few months I've been plagued by aches and pains all over my body and in my joints. I have tons of Essentrics/CS sets and individual DVDs - some of which I've never done. In the past I've made it a point of picking a Season and doing episodes 1-30 every night for 30 days and I felt better. I have Season 9 and 10 that I haven't done yet and I'll start with one of these. You've inspired me to do it again starting tonight. My goal is to have less general body ache. Thank you for sharing.
Usia I will stress that I'm sure part of that great result is not doing other stuff that stressed my body. Please think of that, it's not just what you do but also what you do not do.
Old 12-11-18, 10:00 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Could you please share the Army's method for measuring body fat/measurements the way you did? Thanks!
Scorpio,
The calculations that I use are from a 1995 ANG field manual. The Army apparently uses different methods now. I tried the "calculation" that is on the internet, that I could find, and it placed me 3% fatter than the method that uses the forearm in addition to the neck and hips. When I was working as a personal trainer I compared an electrical impedance body fat calculator to the ANG way and they were very close. So I trust this method. However I'm not comfortable putting 23 year old calculations that are not used anymore onto this website.

I measure monthly chest, forearm at largest point, waist at smallest point, below bellybutton at largest point, hips at largest point, upper thighs, above knees and calves. Actually all the measurements are at the largest point. Except the Neck which I forgot to mention, that is done right below your larynx. I also do the measurement at least twice to be sure I am getting the same number. If not do it again until you get the same number. I do it on a sheet I've made and then I can compare side by side the months and the changes. I also record my weight at that time. I think this is actually a better way to see your changes for the tighter of looser. I will try to attach that to this post. I think it's really neat to watch the changes. Better than weight measurement only any day.
Okay, I tried to upload the file and it didn't work. It's Libre and apparently that type file doesn't work here.
You can make a sheet easily. Actually, let me try to copy and paste here. Well another post.

Last edited by anjabear; 12-12-18 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added forearm
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 10:03 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Could you please share the Army's method for measuring body fat/measurements the way you did? Thanks!
Here it is:

Date Date Date

Weight Weight Weight

Height Height Height

Forearm Forearm Forearm

Neck Neck Neck

Bust Bust Bust

Waist Waist Waist

Below navel Below Navel Below Navel

Hips Hips Hips

R. Thigh L. Thigh R. Thigh L. Thigh R. Thigh L. Thigh

Above knee L. R. Above knee L. R. Above knee L. R.

R. Calf L. Calf R. Calf L. Calf R. Calf L. Calf

Wrist Wrist Wrist

Body fat% Body fat% Body fat%

Notes:

So this squished it all together. If you copied and pasted to a word doc then spread it out into three columns you've got it.
I hope this helps.
Old 12-11-18, 11:30 AM  
Scorpio6

Thanks so much Julia. I just don't understand how to calculate body fat percentage. Thanks.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 01:00 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

This thread may be the nudge I need -- thank you! I am still suffering with piriformis pain and haven't been doing much of anything. Maybe this will get me going and even help.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 05:41 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
This thread may be the nudge I need -- thank you! I am still suffering with piriformis pain and haven't been doing much of anything. Maybe this will get me going and even help.
I suffer from periodic bouts of piriformis pain and it really hurts! Essentrics hip stretches (foot on the chair, lift your hip up and down, tuck and untuck the hips) plus the floor stretches when you lift your tush off the floor and move back and forth are really the only thing that makes it go away. Sahra has a video on YouTube that is fabulous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipcis1qlQhc

I also find that CS is great for short workouts that keep everything loose and stretched, especially after running. I also love Meg's new evening stretch on Essentrics TV.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 07:22 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks for sharing. I dabble in CS but your post has inspired me to think about trying a similar experiment.

Donna
This is me. I have dabbled in CS/Essentrics a few times. I want to get serious about it but I hate to give up my beloved Pilates.
Old 12-12-18, 07:46 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
This is me. I have dabbled in CS/Essentrics a few times. I want to get serious about it but I hate to give up my beloved Pilates.
Me too, I enjoy doing yoga, Pilates, CS, etc. along with "traditional" workouts so it is hard for me to fit it all in.

I am thinking about trying to focus on one thing for a month at a time....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, classical stretch, essentrics