Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-15, 11:51 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Lora-sending hugs to you! I agree with Alta's post 100 percent!

Sherry
I also agree with Alta's post 100%.
Old 05-11-15, 12:06 PM  
Lizzo
VF Supporter

Ugh, no one should have to feel bad for posting something like this, especially since it was meant as a complimentary post. I get that the music industry has been tough as nails regarding copyright, but if an instructor is doing this illegally, they need to pay up or not do it. Asking a consumer to remove a comment on a public forum is bad form.

Lora, you did nothing wrong.

http://musingsofafitnessjunkie.blogspot.com
Lizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 12:10 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I don't think I read the original post or at least I don't remember it.
It's quoted in the 2nd post.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 12:20 PM  
TinierTina

"All rights, public and private ... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
Ugh, no one should have to feel bad for posting something like this, especially since it was meant as a complimentary post. I get that the music industry has been tough as nails regarding copyright, but if an instructor is doing this illegally, they need to pay up or not do it. Asking a consumer to remove a comment on a public forum is bad form.

Lora, you did nothing wrong.
Seconding that!

If the workout gets too expensive for the instructor to make a DVD of (or a streaming of) with the circulation they have now; well, there's got to be a reason for these laws ... and, of course, there are those who will pony up for the higher (costs-passed-down-to-the consumer) price and those who will not. You know, there's always Denise Austin ... and others

Be it Muzak or music, it still works ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 12:22 PM  
Demeris

And I'm wondering if the instructor is flying under the radar regarding using music without rights or simply flying under the radar on this site.

The first would make me wonder about ethical business practices, the second prompts me to wonder whether or not the instructor is taking our responses as constructive feedback.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 12:23 PM  
HappyHappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo View Post
if an instructor is doing this illegally, they need to pay up or not do it. Asking a consumer to remove a comment on a public forum is bad form.
Exactly!
HappyHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 01:03 PM  
BunnyHop

I can't help wondering at the real motives of those who've complained.

If your product is good quality, people will buy it.

If people are really enthusiastic, they'll talk about it happily in online forums.

If your product is sub-par, musically or otherwise, people will likely talk about that too.

Not sure how attempting to manipulate the flow of conversation, or shame someone into feeling bad for starting a discussion does anyone's business model any good.

I'm glad I don't know the names of the instructors behaving this way, I'm not impressed.
Old 05-11-15, 01:25 PM  
horsemom2

Main problem with the music in streaming videos is that nobody knows which songs are ok and which are not ok to use. Some are ok as long as the artist and title are given. Some are ok in some countries but not in other countries. I edit just about all of the routines I do because music is my main moving motivator. I got a copyright strike on youtube for a song which was later allowed but after my account had already been deleted.

Instructors like Jessica Smith would love to use better music in her jessicasmithtv routines but after having one soundtrack deleted by youtube, tries to avoid another violation. Nia will not let me share their OOP vhs routines because they fear copyright violations for the music they used.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 02:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

By the way, I was not faulting any instructor for using the site -- I was faulting the site for creating a whole business on stolen music. I thought people knew better by now.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 05:24 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
By the way, I was not faulting any instructor for using the site -- I was faulting the site for creating a whole business on stolen music. I thought people knew better by now.
Some musicians and music producers catering to the yoga world have been lax about copyright protection of their work for use in live for-profit commercial classes in NYC and LA.

I knew that from Facebook. I cannot 100% fault the site(s) for that (these yoga-derived exercise programs). They are used to the laxity; so then, they get creative with ground-breaking mélanges of yoga and another discipline or disciplines, so then they fall in love with other kinds of music than Krishna Das or Derek Beres, etc., so soon they take their playlists and migrate them to hip hop, pop and ... lo and behold ... an eruption of cease and desist orders from intellectual property attorneys ... !!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, terri walsh