Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-11, 02:09 PM  
SpiritSong

Question for those with bad knees

Or perhaps you have recovered from a knee injury. I know that any advice given does not consistute expert medical advice.

My knee has been bothering me (clicking when on stairs, no pain but I haven't been pushing it), so I am going to follow a rotation of Strong Knees and Jill Miller's KneeHab (and then add on other lower body exercises that don't involve squats and lunges like Pilates and V-Core).

Do you think my best course of action is to stick with this toning program until my knee stops clicking (and see doctor if not successful after 4-6 weeks) or can I add some cardio? I would love to do five miles of Leslie on Saturdays and Sundays, and three miles of Leslie during the week (for fat loss -- and yes, I know fat loss starts at your mouth).

What kind of cardio workouts do you "bad" knees VFers use?
Old 09-26-11, 02:17 PM  
cpcathy

So it doesn't hurt at all? Is it stiff? Swollen? I'm not a knee expert, but I have RA, and know that my knees need to be coddled! I'd be super careful--unless it's only clicking and not swollen at all. I would do something low impact until I got to a doctor to know for sure. Don't mess around with your knees! I hear knee replacements are painful!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 02:24 PM  
Carb8985

When my knees bothered me (about three years ago), I found that walking (outside, not Leslie) would make them feel great. Lots of walking and lots of foam rolling on my IT band really "loosened" up and realigned my knees. I too had a knee that would click with any deep knee bends.

I think Leslie for cardio should be ok, then, but I'm not sure if there was something to the outside walking for me that helped.

I should also add that barre has done wonders for strengthening my knees and has kept them pain-free.

I know many people love Strong Knees and swear by it, but in my experience Strong Knees did not help my knees at all. In fact, my knee clicked and hurt more after doing that DVD. I've found that weighted (but gentle) quad work (as seen in barre workouts) is what "fixes" my knees.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 03:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Do you like the water? Swimming, deep water fitness classes, and deep water running are excellent non impact cardio. I did a lot of swimming and deep water running when I was recovering from a ankle fracture a couple of years ago.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 06:02 PM  
HRCFitness

Just went to the doctor and found out that I have basically worn down the cartlidge in my knees. He says it's from all the high impact/plyo stuff...yes I love insanity. I'm 40 years old and I am so upset.

He says I have to take it easy for a while and then I can do low impact workouts. He told me not to do any pounding stuff.

I also think my problems came from doing those high impact stuff on my basement floor that only has a carpet on it.

Good luck...but I think your best bet is to go get it checked out.
HRCFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 06:15 PM  
Tugger31

Nothing helped my knees more than doing some serious YOGA 1-2 times per week! It helped strengthen the quads with isometric poses and really stretches the hamstrings. Tight hamstrings can put some backward forces on your knee, yoga also helped the hip joint which in turn helped with my knee alignment. I had been hearing that yoga helps but kinda poo poo'd it. I wish I wouldve done yoga years ago. I also did alot of walking and kickboxing for cardio and incorporated more floor work such as Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout and the ball/floor work from Cathe's Legs & Glutes.

Good luck!

P.S. Jeanette Jenkins' Power Yoga is my favorite!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 06:53 PM  
Demeris

T-tapp

Seriously, I keep my knees in tip top shape with t-tapp. Any t-tapp move, done in good form, will bring my muscles/cartilage back into perfect alignment.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 07:47 PM  
Jewels5

I injured my knee a couple years ago and the best cardio for me was low impact kickboxing and modifying floor aerobics to low impact. But I also went through physical therapy and they basically had me doing stuff I could do at home with my DVDs (mostly strengthening the quads and hamstrings). The ironic thing was my doctor told me not to do lunges or squats and the PT had me doing just those! But I'm sure it depends on the injury/pain you are having.

One thing you might want to consider if you haven't already, is getting your shoes fitted properly. I didn't realize my feet were pronating, and I needed orthotics and better fitting shoes. Because of the pronation my knees were not aligned properly and it was adding to my pain. Also, stretching the IT band was a huge help for the pain.

My doctor suggested swimming and the elliptical for cardio, but both seemed to bother me. Again, I'm sure it depends on the injury/pain.

Good Luck! Knee pain is no fun!

Julie
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-11, 09:22 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I've had knee surgery and the best rehab for me was the exercise bike. Low to no tension and lots of revolutions. It was great cardio and really strengthened the muscles around the knee cap.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 01:16 AM  
bee1forfitness

I really like Jill Miller's Knee Rehab, and those little ball she uses really worked wonders on my knees, I swear by this video and those "Tune Up Ball" Since using this DVD, my knees are so much better. Also I would see my DR...I've found that strengthen my knees has help also...I don't use the lotus position as much as before, before I lived in the half lotus and full lotus position for years.
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clicking joint, knee friendly, knee strengthening, kneehab, knees, strong knees