Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-12, 08:34 AM  
Libby

Self-help for Baker's Cyst behind knee

Anyone know of any good self-help measures for this problem? It comes and goes so I haven't seen a doctor yet. I did talk to a chiropractor at a party last night and he said to take it easy exercising for a few weeks. I haven't iced it yet but I've been wearing a compression wrap around it a lot. And taking Advil occasionally. If I sit on the floor and get up, it will sometimes look like I have an egg on the back of my leg. It goes back down after awhile. I LOVE doing cardio but I am laying off of that for awhile. I would like to avoid having to seek treatment for it since it's not to a bad stage yet.

Any suggestions?
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 08:56 AM  
shoegoddess

I would at least get it checked by a medical doctor. If it looks like an egg after you sit on the floor for a while that can't be good for the health and future use of the knee. The worse the problem becomes the worse the prognosis and the longer the treatment. Get it checked.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 02:30 PM  
sandym
VF Supporter

Bakers cyst

I had one a number of years ago and had never heard of them. I woke up one morning and there it was and the size of an orange! I headed straight for my pcp scared out of my wits and she sent diagnosed it right away as a Baker's cyst and sent me to an ortho. Basically all he did was take an Xray, have me not exercise and rest it somewhat until the swelling went down, and take Advil for several weeks on a regular basis. It did go away and never returned. I personally wouldn't spend the money on the doctor unless it gets bigger or remains for more than several weeks. Or if you are in pain. My knee actually bothered me before the cyst came out and never again after.
sandym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 03:35 PM  
desderata

I had a baker's cyst after I tore the meniscus in my knee. I had it until I had surgery for the torn meniscus and for a few months after the surgery. I was told it is due to inflammation in the knee after injury -- the inflammation creates fluid and there is nowhere in the knee joint for the inflammation to go, so it creates a pocket behind the knee. It took awhile for the body to reabsorb all that fluid. I don't think there is anything you can do to speed this up.
From what I understand it is a symptom of injury, so maybe you should rest the knee?
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 04:54 PM  
Libby

Saw doc today for my knee

I saw a doc today for my knee. Said it looked good on x-rays but wants to do an MRI. Said if it's a torn meniscus he will probably do surgery which is a very easy surgery from what he said. Said I can keep on exercising, walking, treadmilling, using an elliptical (don't have one though) but said to avoid squats and lunges. Anyone else know of exercises that are safe to do while I wait and ones to avoid? The nurse said that the meniscus gets torn from twisting, turning and sitting down with your leg back to your side. That's when I first noticed it. I was sitting down with my knee to my side.

The info the doc gave me said that the surgery is just to relieve the pain, it doesn't make the tear heal any faster. I would like to just avoid the surgery if at all possible.

Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-12, 06:12 PM  
carolyn jane

Sorry to hear about your knee! I have the same thing - torn miniscus (on the right knee - Baker's Cyst on the left - what fun!)

Anyway the doctor didn't want to do surgery on the minscus because he said it could aggravate the arthritis in my knee.

But - I got Jill Miller's Knee Hab workout and did it faithfully for several months and it really helped!

Best wishes with your recovery!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kneehab