Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-14, 10:26 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
Oh my gosh, this is awful!

The sound is terrible, I can't turn it up to hear her without the music being too loud. That there is the deal breaker. Owning over 400 videos, I would say it sound quality and production is very unprofessional compared to most.

This is pseud-soft style. It is not true soft style, she does double-handed swings. That is NOT soft style. Just FYI. True soft-style swings are done with one hand only and not straight armed. So I don't want people thinking this is true soft style.

The workout I've previewed uses a kettlebell as a tool, it is not a kettlebell DVD. Kettlebells are a low-impact workout, this is anything but.

Not what I wanted.

It's choppy, she seems very nervous and uncomfortable in front of the camera.

The worst part for me is a mobility warm-up she did, she did NOT count reps and did uneven reps on each side, omitting a reverse ankle altogether. My OCD (that I don't have) kicked in big time!

Save your money.
Jo, thanks for posting. Between your comments and Mary's longer clip, I'm positive that this DVD isn't for me. IMHO every MMM DVD I've seen is poorly produced (echo-y sound, sloppy reps, questionable sequencing for the sake of making workouts longer, etc.), and this one looks to be the worst of a less than satisfactory (again, IMHO) lot.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 10:32 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter

I still haven't got the dvd but from what I read you might find Donica a bit nervous ( her first dvd, who would not be ?) or the production quality of the did to be not top notch but Donica is one of the most accomplished kettlebell lifter in the world, multiple time world champion, record holder not to mention a great coach and a very advanced athlete.
With all the respect, I seriously.doubt any one on this forum can even come close to her level of kettlebell ( or her general.fitness, this woman is a machine !) the number she puts up in competition speak for herself.
Soft style and hard style really should have never been mentioned to distinguish a basic form of kb from the advanced and correct techniques used also in sport and within the last group there are differences still, some also because of different body types
Love me some Donica
Old 02-13-14, 10:48 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by editstein View Post
I still haven't got the dvd but from what I read you might find Donica a bit nervous ( her first dvd, who would not be ?) or the production quality of the did to be not top notch but Donica is one of the most accomplished kettlebell lifter in the world, multiple time world champion, record holder not to mention a great coach and a very advanced athlete.
With all the respect, I seriously.doubt any one on this forum can even come close to her level of kettlebell ( or her general.fitness, this woman is a machine !) the number she puts up in competition speak for herself.
Soft style and hard style really should have never been mentioned to distinguish a basic form of kb from the advanced and correct techniques used also in sport and within the last group there are differences still, some also because of different body types
Love me some Donica
With all due respect, it's irrelevant whether any of us can come close to her level of kettlebell skill or general fitness.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Old 02-13-14, 10:56 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
With all due respect, it's irrelevant whether any of us can come close to her level of kettlebell skill or general fitness.
Meaning she knows what she is doing. And also that to get to certain levels.you need to train a lot and you can't train a lot and accomplish what she did if your technique is not on point.
Old 02-13-14, 11:03 AM  
Messe

Quote:
Meaning she knows what she is doing. And also that to get to certain levels.you need to train a lot and you can't train a lot and accomplish what she did if your technique is not on point.
Knowing what you're doing and being able to design safe, effective workouts for consumers who may not be as proficient as you are isn't necessarily the same thing. Again, IMHO, but we're probably going to have to agree to disagree about this.

Old 02-13-14, 11:31 AM  
noodles

I'm glad we all enjoy different styles and this ciruit style with elements of high impact plyo is something I truely enjoy and finish feeling that I've had a thorough workout. Since I missed the special pricing on totalfitnessdvds I'm hoping someone will put this on the trade list as I hate to admit I don't enjoy my Lauren Brooks Kettlebell Lightening - sorry I know many of you love her style it's just not for me.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 12:06 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jo View Post
Everybody's body is different. I cannot reach my hip. You "reach for" your hip. You want your elbow on your body, though. Mine is a few inches above my hip. Here's a clip that shows how to do it. You lean back, your hips are forward and when learning it, it feels like you're lying back. This is Ksenia Dedyukhina, the world-record holder in snatch. She is stronger than men and amazing. She's doing the jerk here. You can google her for other videos. You can see how she goes back. She is the one to watch for form, she's perfection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6086GEIWI
thank you!
Old 02-13-14, 12:10 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Knowing what you're doing and being able to design safe, effective workouts for consumers who may not be as proficient as you are isn't necessarily the same thing. Again, IMHO, but we're probably going to have to agree to disagree about this.
I agree with this. The internet is a great training ground for would-be instructors. I'd suggest to Donica and others like her to start out making short Youtube or Vimeo videos, getting feedback and tweaking teaching technique before putting out a DVD.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 12:12 PM  
Just_Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
I don't think the intention of this DVD was to represent any of the styles. It is definitely a hybrid workout, and the combinations of the moves are proven to be effective.
Honestly. I don't think anybody will buy this DVD in order to learn the true and one and only soft style --if there is such a thing. Donica is an amazing athlete and coach as well. She is a world record holder, so probably she knows a few things about kettlebells and competing. Definitely more than anybody else on this forum.
So you can criticize harshly the quality of the production, but to jump on the style so quickly is not fair.
I know her personally and I can vouch for her amazing and incredible achievements. She may come off a little nervous, but the content of this DVD is good.
Not fair? I was only commenting that this is not soft style. I know it's a hybrid, but I don't want people to think that it's soft style when it's not. That's completely fair. I was not the one who brought styles up, I was responding to a post which I have every right to do.

I have watched many of her videos on You Tube. I know who she is and what she can do. I never said she wasn't an amazing athlete.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 12:18 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Love me some Donica
Amen to that.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bell babe kettlebell, kettlebell, kettlebells, my mad methods