Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-15, 11:51 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Can someone help me understand why I "need" one of these? They are so popular but I can't reconcile the purpose in my mind? I workout with a heart rate monitor 5-7 days a week, so I know I'm getting good exercise. What will a fit bit do for me that a heart rate monitor doesn't already do ?
Motivation. Like others have said - seeing the step count makes me get up and move. I just have the cheapest model - the FitBit Zip. It's basically just a pedometer.

I've made my goal at 12,000 steps a day, working up to 15,000. But I've broken it into segments, so that I don't sit all day and then rush to get in all the steps at the end of the day when I'm tired. I aim for at least 3,000 steps before I sit down at work for the day. I try to get 3,000-5,000 more throughout the workday. Then my evening walk or workout needs to make up the difference.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 12:22 PM  
dbclark44

I too have the Fitbit Zip and love it.

It motivates me to be more active throughout the day vs. one single workout a day. My goal is 5 miles a day and I have no problem hitting that M-F but the weekends are where I fall below. But it tells me that's an area I need to work harder at.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 01:41 PM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I monitored my HR on a random time too, just sitting around, or when I was walking. It was constantly in the 80 range. I'm back to my ONE and it's working, so I'm not sure why I wanted a different one.
Maybe you got a bum one then.

To the original poster, congrats on your new gadget! I also have the One and love it as well. You clip it on and never have to worry if you are getting extra steps on arm swings or anything. It's a solid little device!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-15, 01:47 PM  
raeven

Also a heads up for anybody else interested, Best Buy has the Fitbit One on sale for $80 as well. Plus, for anybody that doesn't know, you can always price match at Best Buy to amazon or other places if you find a cheaper price. Just show the cheaper price to them on your smartphone. I do it all the time there!

Also, they have the fitbit zip on sale for $40. The fitbit flex for $80. The regular fitbit Charge (non-hr version) on sale for $100. I have no idea when the sale ends.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit