Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-05, 12:04 PM  
Mary09

Thanks! I'm ordering! And I'm ordering the Karen Voight set for $24.99 that Amazon had to flash on screen, too!
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 12:06 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Does anyone know if rebounding is considered "weight bearing exercise" within the realm of bone health/osteoporosis prevention? My rheumatologist is always harping that for weight bearing exercise to be effective, the foot must strike a hard surface. Walking/running on a treadmill - thumb's up. Elliptical - great for joints but thumb's down for meeting the weight bearing criteria.

I'm very interested in rebounding but wonder if the bounciness subtracts weight bearing benefits.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 12:26 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58
Does anyone know if rebounding is considered "weight bearing exercise" within the realm of bone health/osteoporosis prevention? My rheumatologist is always harping that for weight bearing exercise to be effective, the foot must strike a hard surface. Walking/running on a treadmill - thumb's up. Elliptical - great for joints but thumb's down for meeting the weight bearing criteria.

I'm very interested in rebounding but wonder if the bounciness subtracts weight bearing benefits.
In some ways, it may be even more weight bearing cuz you are always going against the pull of gravity. I use light weights when healthbouncing and found out quickly not to go too heavy cuz the extra gravitation pull can make 2 pounds have the effect of much heavier weights on the joints. I definitely feel the weight bearing effects when doing plyos on the rebounder too.
Treadmills do absorb some of the impact of running and is still a thumbs up workout according to your post.

Barb S
who believes there are just more options of how to modify a workout upwards or downwards in intensity as well as impact on a rebounder than without one
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 03:51 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I had ordered a rebounder once, and sent it back unused, because I had read that rebounding can cause nerve damage in the legs, or something of that nature. I guess it's similar to that shaking motion that can cause damage also. I don't want to believe it, because it sounds like a great workout, one that I might really enjoy. Does anyone have any thoughts on this nerve damage situation?
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:15 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmee57
I had ordered a rebounder once, and sent it back unused, because I had read that rebounding can cause nerve damage in the legs, or something of that nature. I guess it's similar to that shaking motion that can cause damage also. I don't want to believe it, because it sounds like a great workout, one that I might really enjoy. Does anyone have any thoughts on this nerve damage situation?
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have done a lot of high impact aerobics in my years! I have a rebounder, & it feels far more gentle on my body than aerobics & plyos on the floor. I have a hard time imagining that it would do a lot of nerve damage unless you were bouncing with great force off of the rebounder...and landing on a very hard floor. I can't imagine why someone would be doing that though!

Again...no expert. Just speaking from my own experience.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:21 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmee57
Many rebounding pioneers continue to rebound for over 20 years with no such documented problems. I, myself, have been rebounding for several years just about daily and my knees are better now than they were 20 years ago but I do a more gentle bounce most of the time than the UR style of pounding the feet into the mat which my joints do not enjoy.

Barb S
who vaguely remembers such a claim made because of a possibly defective cheap rebounder but not sure
ETA: I rebound barefooted as well as Michele Wilburn of Starbound, Carol in Carol's Healthbounce, Holly in Air-O-bics 1 & 2 and another rebounding workout so think shoes or no shoes is a personal preference
(I do have to wear shoes when the YogFlex is tilted for uphill and downhill running though)
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:34 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Nerve damage? Perhaps because of barefoot rebounding and the repetitive stress on the bottom of the unsupported foot?

I'd like to have more info on it (studies, references).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 04:38 PM  
antbuko

I vaguely recall a JB Berns story of someone rebounding on one of the cheap models, the spring broke, the person fell and suffered nerve damage. Very vague memory, not entirely sure if it's accurate.
Old 12-11-05, 05:06 PM  
getstrong

The nerve damage comment was Dave Hall, about his father:

Quote:
Because of my enthusiasm, my father bought a “typical” rebounder; the kind you can buy at sporting goods stores. “Typical” rebounders use cheap, often weak tube springs, a sagging mat, and a weak frame. Within one month on a “typical” rebounder, my father was permanently disabled, suffering nerve damage. Since I was younger and more resilient, my body could better tolerate the jarring effect. However I often found the rebounder would hurt my back. But now my father was seriously injured, he was crippled. I was dazed and angry. People were getting hurt and I felt I needed to warn them. The same year my Dad was injured, Dr. Morten Walker, in the Townsend Letter for Doctors, warned that the jarring affect at the bottom of each bounce can be dangerous. The same year I introduced a whole new concept in mini-trampolines.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-05, 05:16 PM  
antbuko

Aahh! Thanks, getstrong.

Tags
rebounding, success stories, success story