Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-19, 01:05 PM  
Vantreesta

Positive self-talk or pep talks

When you don't feel like working out or feel like bailing before a workout is complete, what tricks do you employ or things you tell yourself to get it done?

Last night when I ran it was after 6:30 PM, 82 degrees, 87 real feel and I think 65% humidity. I am a total snowgirl and hate temps over 65. I was only a mile in when I found myself giving my usual pep talk that normally comes around 4 1/2 miles: you got this, you can do it! I did finish the run, drenched in sweat but proud of myself.

The things that make me keep going are that little affirmation, listening to Twins baseball or Zombies Run when I run. Other times I hear Tony or Chalene telling me I can do it, sometimes I think about how many games the Twins play without a day off or how Kid Rock puts on high-energy shows night after night and I think surely, I can finish this workout.

So far I'm not so good with the stuff to make me not blow off workouts if I'm feeling lazy though.

What gets you moving and keeps you pushing forward?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 02:13 PM  
Donatella
VF Supporter

I give myself a pep talk similar to what you wrote, and also remind myself how great I'm going to feel once the workout is over. Generally once I'm into it for a few minutes all is OK; it's just hard getting started sometimes. I may swear at the video from time to time, but I'm always glad I did it afterwards.
Donatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 02:20 PM  
killoffsonny

I wish a pep talk to myself could motivate me to keep going but for me it doesn't work. I either have it or I don't. Thats the main reason I have a gym membership. Just being in a class setting is what motivates me when I'm not motivated.
Old 09-21-19, 07:46 PM  
bubbles76

I mostly remind myself of a time when I wasn't able to work out during injuries or I tell myself "at least it's not basic training." If that doesn't work, I'll usually grab Tiny Bubble and he pumps me up, telling me how strong I am. Sometimes he'll join me. It's great to have your own cheering section
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-19, 08:00 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I use the 10 minute trick, if I can't get excited and energized in the first 10 minutes, I can stop! Of course, 99.99% of the time, all it takes is the first few minutes to get me super excited about my workout.

I think only once or twice when I was really feeling rundown, I'd say "oh well" and stop after a 10 or 20 minute workout, and that's okay!
Old 09-21-19, 08:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Hubby and my brother are sometimes what can make me run when I don't want to. Or on Monday it was Migos asking me: Are you gonna do this or what? You gotta do it! And keep on doin' it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 01:31 AM  
Anny

I tell myself 'You can do this' or 'You've got this' or similar affirmations. Reminds me that I don't want to let myself down.
Old 09-22-19, 07:58 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I tell myself what's in my signature below. "Something is better than nothing" gets me moving and then usually I do more than I thought I would before I started.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 08:34 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I consider the people that would love to workout but can't because of health issues/physical limitations. Telling myself that it's only 30-60 minutes of a24 hour day helps put it in perspective too. I'm also hell bent on staying out of a nursing home in my old age.
Old 09-22-19, 12:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
When you don't feel like working out or feel like bailing before a workout is complete, what tricks do you employ or things you tell yourself to get it done?
Sometimes, I think to myself, "One day, I may not be able to do workouts." I think about how stupid I would feel remembering how I could have been active and I wasn't.

This works most of the time...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affirmations, pep talks, positive motivation, self-affirmations