Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-19, 08:31 AM  
laurajhawk

(Re)discovering older instructors

Have you rediscovered an old favorite, or have you finally tried older videos that you now love?

I had never done a Gilad workout until a couple years ago. Bought two of his from VF Roost out of curiosity, having read about him here forever. I love Gilad! I must have at least a dozen of his DVDs now and he's a mainstay of the light-weight/high-rep aspect of my collection. I especially like his Total Body Sculpt circuits - they have a similar effect to Slim Series (well, OK, they would if you did 'em for an hour and a half ) but with scenery.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 09:10 AM  
bubbles76

A year (or was it two?) ago I finally tried Margaret Richard. I never tried her videos before because I thought they were too expensive. I was saving all my money for Cathes lol! Also, I figured that I already had enough high rep, low weight workouts, what could the difference be? Well, when Margaret had her sale, I scooped up a few, just to see what I had been missing. I'm so glad I tried her out! I love her dvds! Her soothing voice, the soothing music, the floorwork, the 80's 90's nostalgic feel. It's all so relaxing for me, and I love them

A few years back I also bought the FitPrime and Kickbutt workouts, and all the Benson Firms I could get my hands on. Again, they were always out my price range. But a VFer had SASEd me Firm Tough Tape 2 I think, and I fell in love with the music and vintage look. I had to have all the Firms after that! Good thing they had come down significantly in price.

I also scooped up some older Gin Miller, Karen Voight, and Kathy Smith dvds. I'm loving all those vintage workouts. The pacing of later workouts is so fast, it's nice to slow down a bit. Also, the music is generally better in the vintage workouts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 09:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I hadn't done a Jane Fonda video in so many years, probably not since late 80s or very early 1990s. They started to feel dated, old fashioned, then we ditched the VHS.

I stumbled across a workout on Youtube and ended up collecting every Jane Fonda workout that's been released on DVD and the "new" workouts from 2011. I love everything about them (except for the background exercisers emoting in some of them). I love her voice and clear cuing.

I even bought the Workout book on Amazon Marketplace, just for nostalgia.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 10:10 AM  
Gams

I just looked at my workout log for the past week and of the 18 DVDs I did, only 3 were made in the last few years. Some of my older favorites that I did were Kelly Coffey Meyer Plateau Buster, Kathy Smith’s March to Fitness, Cardio Fat Burner and Project You Foundations, Gilad Beginner Weight Loss and Michelle Dozois’ Walk Your Way Slim. I love my older workouts, mainly because most of my favorite instructors aren’t making workout DVDs any longer.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 03:11 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
A year (or was it two?) ago I finally tried Margaret Richard. I never tried her videos before because I thought they were too expensive. I was saving all my money for Cathes lol! Also, I figured that I already had enough high rep, low weight workouts, what could the difference be? Well, when Margaret had her sale, I scooped up a few, just to see what I had been missing. I'm so glad I tried her out! I love her dvds! Her soothing voice, the soothing music, the floorwork, the 80's 90's nostalgic feel. It's all so relaxing for me, and I love them

I also scooped up some older Gin Miller, Karen Voight, and Kathy Smith dvds. I'm loving all those vintage workouts. The pacing of later workouts is so fast, it's nice to slow down a bit. Also, the music is generally better in the vintage workouts.
I am a newbie to Margaret Richard too! I also maxed out on her sale and have several DVDs although I've only tried a few so far. I love the endurance work and nostalgic feel! Also like Buzzer said, vintage workouts tend to have good music! And the price is usually right for old workouts now (used).

I recently acquired some step workouts from Gin Miller, Gilad, and Kathy Smith but haven't tried them yet. I'm excited to though!
Old 09-17-19, 04:41 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Another Margaret newbie! I picked up a couple when she had the DVD purge sale and found I really like her so ended up ordering more. I haven't done them all, but will when I have a better workout space.

I like Kathy Smith, Karen Voight, and Tamilee Webb as well. Those were the big names when I started with at-home workouts and I still like them, but I do wonder about some of the newer instructors.

I've been eying some of the Gilad DVDs but haven't ordered yet.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 10:45 AM  
BigBadBetty

I fell off the fitness wagon and got back on 6 months ago. I rediscovered Kathy Smith's Secrets of a Great Upper/Lower body. I like that there are no creative moves. Maybe some creative camera angles. The cheesiness makes it more fun. It's easy to make it more difficult by going up in weight. It is also not too long so I can fit it into my schedule. Kathy Smith introduced me to using weights many years ago.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 11:53 AM  
marki64

Cathe's Cardio Kicks. I forgot what a great workout that is.

Sharon Twombly- Athletic Step Jam
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 01:34 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Another Margaret Richard new fan, too. She's first on my list for a new seasonal rotation I want to start.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rediscovering workouts