Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-19, 04:48 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have some videos that I haven't done in so long, they may as well be virgins! I have to look them up in the VF reviews.
This is me, too. Sometimes I'll watch clips to jog my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I also struggle with how to work them in especially now since I don't really feel like doing much of anything other than stretching.
This is also me. I've only been wanting to do stretching or yoga lately.

Noel, you could try doing one virgin workout per week. Dedicate a specific day for the purpose of trying a new workout.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 06:59 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
No virgins here. I have small bookcase that holds all my dvds and I do them all. I’m too picky these days and don’t hang on to a workout that cause dread or boredom. Nope, not a virgin in sight and proud of it!
Same here Muggle. I don't own hundreds of dvds and only keep what will fit in my dvd case (about 60-70). Every year I go through and get rid of any workouts that don't grab me. But, I do pretty much every dvd I have. I don't know how people order tons and and leave them unopened on a shelf. Seems like quite a waste of money. When I buy a dvd I have to do it right away.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 07:11 PM  
bubbles76

Not a waste of money. I'll get to them eventually

To keep the thread on track, I believe there was a check-in for this very purpose. The Virgin Workouts Check In or Declutter's Check In?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 08:40 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Not a waste of money. I'll get to them eventually

To keep the thread on track, I believe there was a check-in for this very purpose. The Virgin Workouts Check In or Declutter's Check In?
I was thinking there should be a Virgin Workout Check in too, Bubbles! I know there's a Dust Bunnies one.

I'm another who has waaaaay too many virgins. When I injured myself 10 years ago and couldn't workout fully for about 10 months I kept buying workouts and eating junk like I always had. I ended up 15 lbs heavier and with a ton of virgins. Before my injury new workouts didn't stay new for more than a week. For a while I tried hard to get through them but it started to feel more like a stressful chore. My buying has slowed down a lot at least. I just tell people I can't die as long as I have untried workouts.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 08:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i was considering starting a similar thread because i had an idea!

1) tack a virgin on after your "main" workout (similar to what FirmDancer suggested)

- i know everyone is thinking "but i have very limited time to do just my "main" workout. you can just do maybe 10 min of the virgin and stop, then resume another time from where you left off. see #3 below for a different version of this.

2) play the virgin workout while you're doing something else, like washing dishes or sewing.

-i have a portable DVD player for this purpose. This at least lets you know that the DVD is OK and not defective.

3) play a short block of the virgin BEFORE your "main" workout; (similar to #1).

4) designate 1 day a week for virgin day.
- choose the virgin ahead of time so that you don't flake out on it.

5) read VF reviews about it to motivate yourself into doing it. if there are no reviews in the review section, do a search or start a thread about it.

6) play the entire thing or part of it and just march in place - set a kitchen timer to quit at your pre-selected cutoff point. this allows you to get in extra walking steps!

7) similar to #6 - play the virgin but do your own stretching while watching it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 08:47 PM  
alisoncooks

Nice ideas! I always watch new-to-me DVDs while I fold clothes.

I keep a small collection but I currently have a LOT of never-tried workouts. Maybe that should be my next rotation!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 08:48 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have some videos that I haven't done in so long, they may as well be virgins! I have to look them up in the VF reviews. And then, sometimes I found that I reviewed them years ago.

I really need to reexamine my collection.
I love this comment! :-)
Old 09-08-19, 09:55 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

So many great ideas! Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful responses.

I have a limited amount of time to workout, so I really want and need that time to be productive. That's the frustrating element of devirginating. I'm spending my time fumbling around trying to learn movement patterns and/or figuring out weight selection and not getting much of a workout.

So I think, like many of you have suggested, I need to add the virgins to my weekly rotation as extra workouts. Even if that means spreading segments of a new workout over the course of a week or two.

As far as hanging on to duds, I feel as though my collection is pretty well tailored to my tastes. I've become fairly competent at determining if a workout will be a good fit. When reviewing new workouts, I'm generally pleased (and excited) by my selections, and all of these awesome workouts need to be put to good use!
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 06:59 AM  
sherry7899

If there were a thread titlted "tackling virgins" on any other forum there would be raised eyebrows On here, everyone knows what it means. I love that!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-19, 09:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
If there were a thread titlted "tackling virgins" on any other forum there would be raised eyebrows On here, everyone knows what it means. I love that!

Sherry
So true!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fomo, virgins