Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-19, 09:43 AM  
pharma_gal

Local Gentle Yoga class and Meditation

There is a wellness center near my place that is starting a gentle yoga class and meditation once a week. I am thinking about it. I know I can still do yoga at home but it will be a new experience for me. For those who take classes, do you think it’s worth the price for a live class? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:33 AM  
bubbles76

I have signed up at my job to take a weekly yoga class. The instructor comes to us and we practice yoga in the training/conference room. It's definitely worth it to get that break in the middle of the day. I think if I had a studio by me, classes were reasonably priced, and I could make it to the classes at convenient times that I would definitely pay for a yoga class. The instructor can correct your form and help you learn meditation. There are so many little things that I've learned by taking a live class that improved my form. Plus, if you are struggling with form, you can probably ask the instructor about it after class for a minute or two. It could be just a small tweak that could make the pose click for you.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:33 AM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Disclaimer: It's been YEARS since I did a yoga class but....

My experience in a couple of different states and in maybe 10 different yoga studios is that the teacher makes all the difference in the world.

The last studio I took classes at brought in a new instructor for my level at the time that was then convenient for me and he was creepy. Just generalized creepiness, I never saw him do anything inappropriate but I could not stand to have him touch me to adjust my position. I'd never felt that in any of the studios and I just could not bring myself to go back.

I ALWAYS got more out of studio yoga than doing it on my own. Just having an instructor do even slight adjustments makes a huge difference. They can see what you can't feel.

I generally enjoyed meditation classes, again, the instructor makes all the difference.

I'd try it and see how you like it. The studios I went to had different rates but you could pay class by class or by the month with a slight reduction in cost per class. I'd want to do class by class until you see if you like it.

~Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:34 AM  
laurajhawk

Yes, I absolutely think it's worth taking (and paying for) live classes. The "vibe" of a group practice is lovely, and getting the personal attention on form etc. is also really valuable. I admit that since I take several live classes a week, I don't do my yoga DVDs at much - I focus on other workouts mostly during my AM workout time - but the balance works really well for me. I think you should give it a try!

ETA - I do agree with Pam that the teacher makes all the difference. I can't remember ever being sorry I went to a class, but there have been teachers I decided not to go back to. So I also agree with paying by the class if that's an option, until you see how you like it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:34 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I agree with Laura. At first I resented having to pay for a live class, since I have so many darn videos at home, but..... I buy a block of classes and just don't think about it. It's definitely a different (enhanced) experience to be in a live class.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 01:50 PM  
pharma_gal

Thanks guys! I am going to try it out. Never been to a live class. I will keep you posted.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 03:22 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm late to the discussion, but since I recently joined the local Y specifically so I could have access to their yoga and meditation classes, yes, I think it's worth it.

On the other hand, as others have said, the teacher makes all the difference.

I'm finding that I like only one of the yoga teachers because her instructions are always helpful. She leads the class in such a way that I never inadvertently wind up doing something painful before I get things adjusted to suit me.

When somebody has to substitute, it's never as good.

In terms of meditation, I first learned some useful info from an instructor years ago.
I do think being able to hear someone else lead you through the process is very helpful, so even if audio is all you have, that's generally enough for me.

At home, if I'm weary, I'll listen to an mp3 recording. Keeps me more focused than I might be otherwise.

Tags
live yoga, yoga