Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-19, 02:05 PM  
Negin

OT - Cervical Spondylosis

I am 51 and have recently been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis (also known as cervical osteoarthritis or neck arthritis).

I'm relieved to finally know what I have, since the tingling and numbness in my hands has been driving me nuts. At first I thought it was carpal tunnel syndrome. Right now, I can barely hold a book or Kindle or anything. It's frustrating since I love to read.

My doctor put me on Celebrex for one week and told me to avoid swimming, lifting anything heavy, too much cooking (Yay! A break from cooking!), lots of rest, stretching, and physical therapy (which I did last year for the same symptoms and I really don't want to do all that again). I have a long way to go to heal. I've had some very rough nights and it's hard to sleep because of the pain. I read that cervical spondylosis is very common and worsens with age. "More than 85 percent of people older than age 60 are affected by cervical spondylosis. Most people experience no symptoms from these problems. When symptoms do occur, nonsurgical treatments often are effective."

I have also read to avoid any moves that are sudden and sharp. I think that some of the Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith walks may have aggravated this. You know the ones where you turn your body to the side? Those types of moves.

I'm in a hurry to order a few things to hopefully help with neck pain and posture. We live outside the U.S. and a relative will be visiting to help bring down whatever I order. Here's what I'm looking at. I am open to any and all suggestions.

The Janice Novak - Posture Book - should I order the book, DVD, or both?

The Miracle Ball Method

Jessica Smith Gentle Yoga - simply because I love Jessica

Yoga for Seniors - just because I love Jane Adams - but I don't know if this has any neck moves

Lee Holden - since I keep hearing about him here.

Yoga for Stress Release

Heal Neck and Shoulder Pain

Treat Your Own Neck

Pain Free

I have almost every CS and Essentrics workout that there is. I think that from here on out, my focus will be mainly on yoga, CS, and gentle walking.
Old 08-27-19, 03:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry about your condition!

I have most of the items on your list. a few comments:

Janice Novak - my favorite. I borrowed the book from the library - it's pretty good. but I like the DVD better - bought it from ebay. you can feel an immediate improvement, and these are moves you can do at anytime. love her "hitchhiker" analogy.

Heal Neck & Shoulder pain - if this is the Cain Carroll one, I highly recommend it too. he has 2 segments, about 25 min each, and they're both really good. he has a few demos on youtube that you can look into.

Lee Holden - yes. I have 7 min of magic. very good.

Yoga for Stress Release - if this is Barbara Benagh, yes. very gentle and calming.

Pain Free - Peter Egoscue - I have the DVD and some of his books. I have yet to try the DVD. his books are good though.

good luck on your journey and recovery.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 03:46 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
sorry about your condition!
Pain Free - Peter Egoscue - I have the DVD and some of his books. I have yet to try the DVD. his books are good though.
Jeannine, thank you so much for your very helpful feedback.

I didn't even know that Peter Escogue has a DVD. Maybe I should get that instead of his book. I'll look into it.
Old 08-27-19, 05:40 PM  
Demeris

The signature T-Tapp moved, Primary Back Stretch (PBS), which is on every single workout, has some great neck stretches.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 05:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Jeannine, thank you so much for your very helpful feedback.

I didn't even know that Peter Escogue has a DVD. Maybe I should get that instead of his book. I'll look into it.
this is the one I have - I found it in a used bookstore:

https://www.amazon.com/Egoscue-Pain-...27174922&psc=1

some clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_uXYAbR1XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioOYj6GxB4Y

I also tagged this thread with "egoscue dvd" so that you can see VFer's comments about the DVD. his books are different than the DVDs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 03:13 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I also tagged this thread with "egoscue dvd" so that you can see VFer's comments about the DVD. his books are different than the DVDs.
Thank you again. I ordered this last night. Thank you for tagging this thread. I'm off to read all the other comments.
Old 08-28-19, 07:57 AM  
gladgirl

I sure hope you find some relief.

I had a pinched nerve in my neck that created pain along the shoulder, down through the arm and into my fingers after a hurricane cleanup day. It was so miserable and painful.

Best of luck to you finding your solution.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 09:12 AM  
BunnyHop

Years ago I really got in to the Miracle Ball Method. It was all I had at the time in that vein.

Since then I've been using Melt Method and basically abandoned the Miracle Ball stuff.

Wish I could tell you how they are similar or different, but the technicalities are beyond me.

OTOH, Melt Method is good stuff. I do think it's an effective practice that keeps me more comfortable than I would be otherwise.

Oh, and in a general way, years ago I had neck pain that I couldn't seem to attribute to any particular problem. I sorta thought it might be my pillows, so I upgraded to memory foam and haven't looked back. For me, the actual Tempur-Pedic memory foam pillows are by far the best, but even the cheap ones are more comfortable than the regular sort, IMO.

Best of luck finding some relief.
Old 08-28-19, 02:46 PM  
warriorprincess

I have a recurring neck/shoulder problem.

My favorite ball size for massaging it is Jill Miller's Alpha ball 3.5".
https://www.tuneupfitness.com/alpha-ball

The double balls work nicely too, but you have to put them on something like a yoga block to reach your neck. Bonus, they're amazing for the spine.

Kassandra has some nice yin yoga neck sessions free on youtube.

I have the 30-day challenge of Lee Holden's, each of which is ~7 minutes. I've been doing one every morning after coffee for 1.5 years. Not neck specific, but nice gentle movement that always feels good.

If you strengthen your neck muscles, you can possibly take some strain off of the bones. You would have to see if it makes it better or worse for you. I love this youtube video for that. Don't let the clickbait title scare you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgNGiDMS2DE

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 04:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

here's Debbie Sieber's neck practice from total body solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XocUMhdlNM
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, cervical spondolysis, egoscue dvd, janice novak, neck tension, posture, yoga