Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-19, 06:09 AM  
Lannette

So is Streaming really a Greener Option?

This seems to be the newest reason bandied about for the demise of DVDS. When I heard that from the first instructor to proudly spout it I immediately thought; “Nice Spin.” That instructor just put out a DVD.

THIS ARTICLE shows that it’s not that simple.

There are a lot of variables. But I think that it definitely shows me that my ancient DVD collection that resides neatly on two shelves is more or at least as green as streaming 2-4 fitness sites would be.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 06:29 AM  
dmlarue1

Smile

I kind of thought the same...production costs dont really change versus method

I do wonder about the garbage option. I know DVDs are not that big or heavy but I wonder how many end up in landfills. I know a lot of people donate them if they dont want them. But I think that should be a concern as we are dumping so much garbage in our oceans and many landfills are filling up

Now if you are someone who keeps your DVDs forever this wouldn't apply to you . If you think about it us vidiots have been very green by trading and share the wealth our dvds
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:03 AM  
Lannette

That’s a really good point about landfills and DVDs - and the merits of trading/ selling. They apparently can’t be recycled, though our recycling center accepted the cases. You could make JEWELRY from them. or a MOSAIC MIRROR, and who doesn’t want a retro DISCO BALL in their workout space?

I just think that those of us who are still using our DVDs should be allowed to do so free of being shamed for not being progressive enough, not minimalist enough or green enough.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:04 AM  
pcdoctor01

I guess the same thing could be said about books vs ebooks.
Treadmill/elliptical/bike vs walking or sneakers.
CDs/records vs MP3s.
I think the green way is just being too greedy for some companies.
Is collecting things not green?
People collect DVDs, LPs, CDs, books, coins, stamps, toys, cars, jewelry, etc.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:12 AM  
Vantreesta

This question always makes me think of Christmas trees. Do we cut down living trees to decorate or do we use artificial ones that will eventually end up in landfills not degrading?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 09:14 AM  
starbelly

Most of the studies regarding streaming vs. DVDs are about single viewings. If you factor in multiple uses (as is the case for many exercise videos), it would seem that DVDs (or downloads) use less energy(see here and here). Streaming uses a lot of energy so those who say that they have switched to streaming to be green need to consider how often a typical video would be watched. To be really green, downloads should be made available.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 12:04 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Every time I see this topic, all I can think about are huge industrial disasters, like what has happened with oil rigs or nuclear power plants or gas compressor stations, etc. It seems to me those entities would do far more environmental damage in one go than any of us can do collectively in an entire lifetime.

I know every little bit counts when trying to be kind to the environment, but at some point, I realized that for me, I had to pick my battles on doing what I can live with and letting the rest go, including any shame or guilt the green movement marketing or sales pitches would have me feel!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 01:52 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Not sure about carbon footprint. I do know that it costs far more to produce a dvd than stream video. All the plastic as far as cases, etc. The shipping expense is very real, also, to package and pay postage.

Some companies or instructors went to different types of cases or putting in foam padding inside the case to reduce damage to dvds. Replacement costs to mail out a new dvd also add up.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 02:05 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

In cleaning out our home office recently, I found a bunch of old CDs we had used to store photos & other things. I looked into it & CDs & DVDs really do just sit in the landfills & take forever to degrade. They are hard to recycle, but here's a place that does it:

https://www.cdrecyclingcenter.org/recycle-now/index

You mail your CDs to them & they send them to a special recycling place.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 06:22 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

There are so many variables to consider when trying to decipher what is more 'green' than something else.... I did a barre3 video on my iPad this morning... out on the deck on a beautiful summer morning... but I digress... I can say certainly that running my iPad for 30 minutes uses WAY LESS electricity than firing up my TV, stereo receiver and speakers for 30 minutes... but I can't say that I am swayed in my purchasing decisions by this fact. I think sometimes it's just a marketing ploy to tout one modality over another as being more 'green.'
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds versus streaming, steaming vs dvds, streaming vs dvds