Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-19, 12:34 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
In a way, I sort of feel really lucky that people of our age got to experience workouts that had exceptional production value, great music, interesting sets and really fun, outstanding choreography. Younger people (Garrie excepted) probably don't realize what the older workouts offered. They only know drill-type cardio and the less than stellar production of a lot of the newer offerings.

Kim
Very good pount!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 01:02 PM  
Calistro

What is a little sad for me is I never thought we would end up having this discussion, and even if my subconscious knew it, I perhaps did not realise it would be so soon.
Like we have come to the end of an era.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 01:20 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

We'll always have video fitness (and Video Fitness, I hope )...however you get your video content!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 01:45 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am actually enjoying a little hype.....I'm anxiously looking forward to Ellen's new "Ballet Sculpt" on her streaming. Essentrics also has been posting teasers on Instagram....showing photos of new workouts and behind the scenes stuff.

Like anything...it's change. I think it's ok though. Nothing we can do about it so may as well embrace it.

I don't think that all the streaming is necessarily poor quality. I love what Essentrics and Ellen Barrett are doing and think it's just as good as the dvds they have produced or even better.

You can't compare free YouTube content to professionally filmed and edited workouts...streaming or not.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 01:59 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I certainly miss talk about new DVDs, especially being a relatively new vidiot (started in 2012). What I miss especially are the heavily choreographed step and hi-lo workouts. It seems as if everything is drills, drills, and more drills to repetitive techno/EDM music. Yawn.

Nothing gets me going more than complex, dancy choreography with spins, rhythm changes/syncopations, and cross phrasing. All done to decent music. I keep waiting for Leslie Stewart (aka Lethal Leslie) to make the advanced step DVD she was born to do.
YES exactly! TOO MANY DRILLS!!! I blame Jillian Michaels but really I"m over it all and it's time to move on. I did an old Jenny Ford step workout on Youtube yesterday (thanks to Video Fitness, I had previously never heard of her...) and it made me really miss both the straightforward steady state athletic step style and the dancey choreographed style of step. Also miss Firm-stlye AWT, barre workouts, fun workouts like Turbo Fire, super fun and easy workouts like Yoga Booty Ballet, even Tracy Anderson workouts (and I was not a fan), all the kickboxing workouts, etc. Please someone do something different!!!
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 03:25 PM  
Floren

new releases let us do the workouts together

The thing I really enjoyed about new DVDs coming out is how so many people would do them together when they were shipped. So you could talk about the workout that you were doing and there would be a lively discussion with many people and opinions, and ideas on how to use it. All the comments were immediately relevant to the workout I was doing that day.

That’s why I enjoy challenges or check ins where people are doing the same program, or the same DVD, at the same time. It’s really fun that someone shared what you did that day, and really “gets” how you stumbled changing weights at that one particular time, or how one of the backgrounders made you giggle. I only know a few people IRL who can relate.

When I’m about to start a new set or DVD, I also read old threads about it to get myself psyched up to do it. It makes it fun to shop in, and get re-excited about, my collection.

What I won’t miss is wading through the “New DVDS coming out” thread, pages and pages of “did you get it yet, where’s mine, did you get it yet?” to get to the first reviews.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 05:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I am actually enjoying a little hype.....I'm anxiously looking forward to Ellen's new "Ballet Sculpt" on her streaming. Essentrics also has been posting teasers on Instagram....showing photos of new workouts and behind the scenes stuff.

Like anything...it's change. I think it's ok though. Nothing we can do about it so may as well embrace it.

I don't think that all the streaming is necessarily poor quality. I love what Essentrics and Ellen Barrett are doing and think it's just as good as the dvds they have produced or even better.

You can't compare free YouTube content to professionally filmed and edited workouts...streaming or not.
I feel the same Jackie. I also like the downloads I’ve bought recently....Jessica Smith, Barlates, BellyFit to name a few.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 09:04 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
The thing I really enjoyed about new DVDs coming out is how so many people would do them together when they were shipped. So you could talk about the workout that you were doing and there would be a lively discussion with many people and opinions, and ideas on how to use it. All the comments were immediately relevant to the workout I was doing that day.

That’s why I enjoy challenges or check ins where people are doing the same program, or the same DVD, at the same time. It’s really fun that someone shared what you did that day, and really “gets” how you stumbled changing weights at that one particular time, or how one of the backgrounders made you giggle. I only know a few people IRL who can relate.

When I’m about to start a new set or DVD, I also read old threads about it to get myself psyched up to do it. It makes it fun to shop in, and get re-excited about, my collection.

What I won’t miss is wading through the “New DVDS coming out” thread, pages and pages of “did you get it yet, where’s mine, did you get it yet?” to get to the first reviews.
I don't think this is reflective of dvds vs streaming....I think it is reflective of VF becoming a less active forum .

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-19, 11:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Well, that’s the thing, Sue. I was hoping Kathy and Tamilee would do something like Debbie Siebers did. Kathy did Moving through Menopause - now we need Moving toward Medicare!!! 😁😁😁
Not quite, but almost - Kathy posted some short videos on the AARP site.
https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-...et-moving.html

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 07:04 AM  
Floren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I don't think this is reflective of dvds vs streaming....I think it is reflective of VF becoming a less active forum .
Or perhaps of timing, when the DVDs come out people on the forum (even if less) are excited about the same DVDs at the same time. Like when Cathe LITE just came out, a bunch of people were doing those at the same time. It was fun to read new posts on what I was excited about at that time too.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds versus streaming, vintage workouts