Old 01-20-19, 07:13 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

I like intense but not joint hurting

I’m 53
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 07:50 PM  
sunday

I will be 54 in a matter of weeks, and I’d like to add that I love high intensity workouts, but I do not believe these workouts have to be high impact.

The hardest I ever worked was during yoga teacher training, doing Ashtanga primary series for 90 minutes a day, six days a week, for months on end. I was in my late 40s and the oldest in the class, incstructor included, and I pushed myself every day. By the end I was able to out-plank my USAF officer DH on any given occasion.

That was super high intensity but zero impact.
And yes, I loved it but suffered numerous injuries from it by the time I graduated.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 07:53 PM  
ADoll

I’m 53 and still like high intensity workouts. Not too much high impact though. Yesterday I did a 45 minute 90’s hip hop spin using the Peloton app and I loved it! What a sweat fest!
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:23 PM  
prettyinpink

I am late 40’s. I like to challenge myself with higher intensity but a couple of times a week is enough. I try to work in som higher impact regularly regardless, because I know it is good for my bones and my joints are fine. I just try not to overdo it and don’t feel the need to push so hard that I am wiped out the rest of the day. That level of intensity isn’t worth it.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 08:50 AM  
Juice

I’m 58. My approach to workouts sounds much like what Lurdes posted. I feel blessed that I am still teaching fitness classes 2x per week and doing Cathe and spin the rest of the time. I had a partial knee replacement two years ago (trauma and anatomy-related, not due to my workouts). It took awhile, but I am more or less back to my pre-surgery activity level. I did Cathe’s new Rev’d Up Rumble workout and Calorie Crush with my 15-year old athlete niece yesterday...flying jacks and all!

I find that I need to me more mindful of recovery time these days, and limit the high-impact stuff to no more than twice per week, but otherwise, bring it on!!!
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 10:46 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
The hardest I ever worked was during yoga teacher training, doing Ashtanga primary series for 90 minutes a day, six days a week, for months on end. I was in my late 40s and the oldest in the class, incstructor included, and I pushed myself every day. By the end I was able to out-plank my USAF officer DH on any given occasion.

That was super high intensity but zero impact.
And yes, I loved it but suffered numerous injuries from it by the time I graduated.
I love Ashtanga and power yoga too, but rarely do them now because I injured my shoulders from the endless chatturangas. David Swenson's Yoga Short Forms is Ashtanga-lite and is just the right amount of effort for me at this point.

I've done several 30 day Bikram challenges (90 minutes, 6 days a week, at home with a space heater). It's definitely high intensity and I really enjoy it, but the Bikram Yoga sequence is pretty unbalanced, in my opinion, and I would never make it my sole yoga practice indefinitely. (Plus Bikram himself is incredibly sketchy).

My intense workout now is powerlifting in the gym 3 times a week, with accessory exercises (pull-ups, for example, plus additional core exercises). I do a bit of cardio (Concept 2 rowing machine, walking, and bike riding). I'm lifting heavier than I ever thought possible, eating more than I ever thought I would, and looking better than I did years ago. But most importantly, I am stronger than I've ever been.

PS I am 62.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 01-21-19 at 10:48 AM. Reason: PS
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 11:05 AM  
deineira

I'm going to be 45 this April and I'm still exercising with intensity. I went through a period of backing off a bit, but I was finding my workouts a bit unsatisfactory. I still do Cathe regularly, Ilaria and LMOD. I'm also adding in more things like Tracie Long too, as I think she focuses on functional fitness. I also do kettlebell workouts, and am getting into spinning. So, my intensity is still high, and I'm still doing high impact, but maybe a little bit less of the latter. Fortunately I have no injuries and am still able to pretty much do anything I used to be able to do.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 12:46 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I'm 56 and I like really intense workouts. I like to push myself to my limits and enjoy workouts like Bob Harper, Les Mills Grit, Insanity, etc. Although it doesn't need to be mega-high impact but I do like high intensity.

And I like to lift heavy. Really HEAVY! That's where I really push myself.
Although I have to admit if I can make it through a wicked Insanity workout that pushes my cardio limits, I feel quite empowered.

Also lots of functional fitness and I would not be able to do any of it without my YOGA!!! So as long as this ol' bod keeps cooperating, I'm going to keep pushing it. I fully expect to be lifting weights when I'm 100!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-19, 02:21 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Oh yeah! 60 is definitely middle aged!

I'm 62 and do HIIT classes twice a day, 4 days a week. I end up with 10 classes a week, doing only one on Friday and Saturday and none on Sunday. I also run about 10 miles a week and do two strength sessions (upper and lower) on 2 days. My HIIT classes are intense! 45 minutes long with my heart rate staying in the high range almost all the way through.

I am very fortunate that so far I don't have any joint issues to stop me. I will say that my heart is in better shape than most of the young people in my classes. We wear heart monitors that show our stats on TV monitors throughout the gym.
Old 01-21-19, 02:32 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I aim for 2 higher intensity cardio workouts a week and perhaps 1-2 heavier weight workouts, and the rest are more intermediate and functional. So it's a lot of Tracie Long/Jessica Smith most days and then Cathe/KCM for higher days. Also, I try to do a CS/Essentrics stretch 4 times a week to keep limber. I found that I have to do some sort of more challenging work to keep the perimenopause weight down or else it's all just futile...

It's funny to think that I used to teach step on an 8-inch step (I'm short) for an hour or more with pretty tricky choreography and really high impact in the early 90s! But I think that's why I can continue to be active now in my late 40s -- I can't imagine just starting out with working out now if I hadn't kept it going all these years.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts