Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-17, 05:16 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Not yet, I just ordered it today but she’s already shipped it.
I see.

I am waiting for Mary to get Kelly Coffey's new one in, then she will ship them altogether.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 11:10 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I got this workout (Get Fit at 40+) from Mary yesterday and did it. It's divided into segments that you can mix and match (warmup, core workout, HIIT workout, full body workout, back stretch, cool down) but there isn't a matrix feature that allows you to string your chosen segments together into one workout, at least that I could see.

I did the warmup, full body workout, core workout, back stretch, and cool down, which clocked in a a touch over an hour. I haven't done the HIIT workout and may never; I'll have to preview it to see if it can be modified.

I can say that this workout is absolutely NOT for someone over 40 who has not exercised in a long time and/or has major physical issues that they don't already know how to make modifications for. It isn't that James doesn't give modifications; I just don't think they are enough for people new to exercise who have joint issues, etc. One example is mountain climbers. Those are not easy and he doesn't show a way to modify them. There are a good number of planks throughout the full body workout and core workout, for people who are plank-averse (although the planks are done on the forearms, for people with wrist issues). Also, there are lunges and squats in the full body workout so anyone with knee issues will need to modify them. He does give modifications, but they may not be enough for some people. If you simply can't do them you'll need to sub another exercise (wall sits, for example).

I too noted his comment that knees are supposed to go over the toes. I'll read the link that Betty Boop provided (thanks, BB!)

If you're already in top shape this DVD will not be challenging enough. The full body workout is the only one that uses weights and it is only 28 minutes long, for example ... but then, James didn't design this for people who are P90X grads.

All this sounds like I have major issues with this workout. I actually don't. I enjoyed James as a trainer--he has a very pleasant demeanor, I loved his accent, and he looks great. I really enjoyed the slower pace of the exercises in the workout. This allows you to heavy up your weights and concentrate on form. I felt nicely worked out, and today I am mildly sore in a good way. I'm glad I got it and will continue doing it.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 12-27-17 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarification about planks
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 11:21 AM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
. . . I enjoyed James as a trainer--he has a very pleasant demeanor, I loved his accent, and he looks great. I really enjoyed the slower pace of the exercises in the workout. This allows you to heavy up your weights and concentrate on form. I felt nicely worked out, and today I am mildly sore in a good way. I'm glad I got it and will continue doing it.
My thoughts exactly on this workout!
Old 12-28-17, 08:48 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I did the full body workout today and enjoyed it. Since I didn't buy the warmup from Amazon Video, I did the warmup from this Crossbell workout on Youtube.

I used 15 pound and 20 pound dumbbells and a 65 pound barbell for the deadlifts. (I think the whole workout can be done with a barbell.) I'm definitely going to buy the DVD. I'm really glad to see a workout for older people who are *not* new to exercise, but rather have to slow down and focus on good form on every rep instead of going to failure. Too many "senior" workouts treat them like idiots.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 12:35 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I did the full body workout today and enjoyed it. Since I didn't buy the warmup from Amazon Video, I did the warmup from this Crossbell workout on Youtube.

I used 15 pound and 20 pound dumbbells and a 65 pound barbell for the deadlifts. (I think the whole workout can be done with a barbell.) I'm definitely going to buy the DVD. I'm really glad to see a workout for older people who are *not* new to exercise, but rather have to slow down and focus on good form on every rep instead of going to failure. Too many "senior" workouts treat them like idiots.
This. I agree. I like the workout a lot for those reasons.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 02:54 PM  
laurajhawk

Reviving a slightly old thread (but hey, the workout is still on Mary's "New" page) to say I am really liking this one. I've only done the Total Body (weights) segment, with the w/u and c/d, and it's a great full-body workout in a half hour (39 min with w/u and c/d). As others have said, it is slow enough to go heavy - I used up to 25 lb dumbbells.

As a bonus, even though the instructor is quiet and sane, my grandson likes him! The Gladiator thing apparently gives him street cred with the 8-year-old crowd.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 03:07 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Reviving a slightly old thread (but hey, the workout is still on Mary's "New" page) to say I am really liking this one. I've only done the Total Body (weights) segment, with the w/u and c/d, and it's a great full-body workout in a half hour (39 min with w/u and c/d). As others have said, it is slow enough to go heavy - I used up to 25 lb dumbbells.

As a bonus, even though the instructor is quiet and sane, my grandson likes him! The Gladiator thing apparently gives him street cred with the 8-year-old crowd.
I just received this from Mary and previewed. I am going to try it soon
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 01:56 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I love the James Crossley weight workout, and I'm going to order the DVD from Mary. It's just what I'm looking for in a weight video. James' personality and style of instructing is just right for me, too. I can overlook the "bingo wings" and "lady's weights" comments (no worse than the script of a typical Firm)
I know what "bingo wings" are (if "Eskimos have dozens of words for snow," surely exercise forums have as many disparaging terms for body parts), but what are "lady's weights"? How much their bodies weigh, how much James thinks they can lift (cf. "girl pushups"), how much he thinks they should lift, or what?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 04:23 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
From another thread:
I know what "bingo wings" are (if "Eskimos have dozens of words for snow," surely exercise forums have as many disparaging terms for body parts), but what are "lady's weights"? How much their bodies weigh, how much James thinks they can lift (cf. "girl pushups"), how much he thinks they should lift, or what?
It's just how much James thinks we can lift. It's not extraordinarily low or anything - he tends to suggest "the ladies" use about what I find myself using. It's just that he'll go into an exercise and while telling you you can go heavier or lighter for this body part, he'll suggest certain weights for men & lighter ones for women aka "ladies".

He's generally low-key and very British and yeah, some bits sound about 10 years dated to my ears.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 05:24 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Yes, what Laura said. It's not a deal breaker, but I prefer Cathe's more gender neutral approach, such as "I'm using 10 pounds for this exercise, you use what's right for you."

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, get fit at 40+, heavy weight training, james crossley, senior strength training, slow weights