Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-16, 04:44 PM  
bubbles76

Funny enough, the workouts that helped me with toning, stretching, and fixes for my poor posture and the resulting pains were Tracie Long's workouts. The ones she did on her own, minus the firm. I purposely put them on the shelf, along with Xtrain, so I wouldn't tire of them. These are the workouts that gave me the best results, along with Weider X-Factor ST.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 06:08 PM  
lorajc

I don't know how old you are but I'm 58 and have severe injuries and need surgery in my neck but refuse it........so I'm still healing a bit..but I've come up with TA and beginner Barre....like Barre 3.... also and light kettlebells are OK....all light weights while I'm on heal zone.... and I usually do 1 or 2 days of Wo and then a day of Ravi ana yoga which I modify and go slower....listen to my body. I also do Pilates fusion or use my Reformer.....which Rea!ly helps....i would look for one on Craigslist. Hope this. Helps!

Yes I agree with Traci Long.... she has a PT background and her workouts are great.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 09:32 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

CS/Essentrics has been my magic bullet. I've lost weight, my posture has improved, my back and hip issues are significantly better. I love how I feel after doing an episode or workout.

Now I'm teaching classes. One of my best friends who came to class as a skeptic is now the biggest Essentrics fan ever....her migraines from neck issues are much less frequent, and her sciatic pain much improved.

I say give it a try...if you do the streaming you can try a lot of workouts. If you decide to purchase dvds they are hold their value and are easy to sell or trade.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 04:30 PM  
jerebo

Hello everyone and thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try the streaming for a while first, but maybe I'll also try Tracie Long. Lorajc and Bubbles, which ones do you recommend?

Lorajc, sorry to hear about your injuries. I'm soon to be 44, but I have a torn rotator cuff that might need surgery, in spite of my refusal to do so! And the aforementioned hip and neck problems. I've got compressed discs in my neck (have had since at least my 30s), so I'm kind of a mess. I like kettlebells, but will have to go to lighter ones. And limit myself to swings rather than snatches, presses, etc.
Old 07-16-16, 07:35 PM  
lorajc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try the streaming for a while first, but maybe I'll also try Tracie Long. Lorajc and Bubbles, which ones do you recommend?

Lorajc, sorry to hear about your injuries. I'm soon to be 44, but I have a torn rotator cuff that might need surgery, in spite of my refusal to do so! And the aforementioned hip and neck problems. I've got compressed discs in my neck (have had since at least my 30s), so I'm kind of a mess. I like kettlebells, but will have to go to lighter ones. And limit myself to swings rather than snatches, presses, etc.
For some reason I find kettlebells to be a lot easier on my spine.....i limit the overhead movement and keep it to the shoulder...... modify....do cleans when they do snatces....i can do some presses the way skogg taught me........or I do alternating swings if they're doing an overhead movement.....easy to modify. I love Dasha kettlebell kickboxing body series.

For Traci...I like her half hour workouts and any of he 45 min workouts. The only ones I don't use that much are that first set that came out under her new studio....a bit hardcore.... everything after I thought was good...and she mixes med balls in for variety.

For Barre 3 I'm still using the prenatal one cuz it's easier and if I do another one from my set....I really have to modify. I also really like the beginner T DVD workouts.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-16, 07:42 PM  
bubbles76

Jerebo, I can't say which Tracie dvds would be best for your specific issues, but I really like her Stronger Longers the best. I think they have fantastic stretching throughout, but especially at the end. The pace is very deliberate, and I don't think there are any funky movements that could hurt you. Look at some clips to be sure.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 05:53 AM  
desie

For me the magic bullet has always been walking plus a stretchy routine.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 10:54 AM  
momofcha

As a late forty something who struggles with thyroid issues I will give my $.02. I have always been a strength gal by nature. Never cardio & never impact. I struggle with low energy from thyroid & recently decided to give Essentrics a true shot. Last month I started alternating hammer & chisel strength workouts with Essentrics. I had hip pain from sitting, but otherwise no other ailments other than energy. What do you know, after that month my body actually started to "crave" the Essentrics workouts. If I woke up & wasn't sure what to do, Essentrics it was.
I am now 17 days into my new rotation of Jessica & Essentrics & I'm finding I can no longer alternate. I need/want an Essentrics workout DAILY. I can't go a day without doing it. I'm alternating more intense Essentrics with lighter, stretchier ones. But I need them. After I finish this 6 week Jessica rotation I'm going to only do Essentrics for two weeks & see how it goes.
What I've noticed besides my body craving it, is my energy is much better. I can actually stay awake past 10pm, my hips are very much less achy, my posture is better, balance is better & ive actually lost about 2 pounds. Coming from not being able to lose at all, in fact, gaining with this thyroid issue - losing even a pound is a victory!

Good luck!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 08:52 PM  
StephE

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
As a late forty something who struggles with thyroid issues I will give my $.02. I have always been a strength gal by nature. Never cardio & never impact. I struggle with low energy from thyroid & recently decided to give Essentrics a true shot. Last month I started alternating hammer & chisel strength workouts with Essentrics. I had hip pain from sitting, but otherwise no other ailments other than energy. What do you know, after that month my body actually started to "crave" the Essentrics workouts. If I woke up & wasn't sure what to do, Essentrics it was.
I am now 17 days into my new rotation of Jessica & Essentrics & I'm finding I can no longer alternate. I need/want an Essentrics workout DAILY. I can't go a day without doing it. I'm alternating more intense Essentrics with lighter, stretchier ones. But I need them. After I finish this 6 week Jessica rotation I'm going to only do Essentrics for two weeks & see how it goes.
What I've noticed besides my body craving it, is my energy is much better. I can actually stay awake past 10pm, my hips are very much less achy, my posture is better, balance is better & ive actually lost about 2 pounds. Coming from not being able to lose at all, in fact, gaining with this thyroid issue - losing even a pound is a victory!
This just makes me all the more excited about getting even more Classical Stretch and Essentrics workouts in my rotation. I also struggle with some thyroid related issues (aches & pains, low energy to name a couple), so this post is very encouraging! I just ordered season 11 and can't wait to add those to the mix. I just feel amazing and so calm and stretched out after doing a Classical Stretch or Essentrics workout. And the more I do them, the more my waist seems to cinch in. It's just proof that you don't need to slay yourself with exhausting workouts to get results. And while it's great to see results like a smaller waistline, I'd do these workouts just for how great they make me feel! I'm hoping this is my magic bullet!

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-16, 09:26 PM  
Izzy

I am another person who craves/wants CS/Essentrics daily. Sometimes I miss a few days and I just don't feel good like I do if I do one first thing in the morning. I was a nay-sayer a few years ago and started with the Arm/abs workout and got hooked. I too have lost weight. I have had digestive issues the past year so it could be that but I think it's the combination of the Heath issue and doing the CS/Essentrics daily. I don't know how else to describe it. I just feel good. (Sheesh, I sound like a V8 juice commercial).
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art method, classical stretch, terri walsh