Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-16, 01:50 PM  
jerebo

Looking for a magic bullet--is it CS? Art Method?

Hello all!

So I'm looking for the impossible, as the thread title suggests--a magic bullet. Something that will give me toning, stretching, and fixes for my poor posture and the resulting pains (SI joint, TMJ, neck pain). Something that might rewind the effects of aging. I've read so many testimonials about Classical Stretch. Could CS be that magic bullet? If so, how do I start? What DVDs are essential? Should I get a whole season?

What about ART method? I've read good things about that, too. Or various types of Barre.

And, of course, I know that there is no such thing as a magic bullet , and that YMMV , but maybe you can enable me to indulge in a little vidiocy
Old 07-15-16, 02:01 PM  
cherimac

You just have to experiment. I tried various things and Pilates keeps me pain-free and pulled in.
Old 07-15-16, 02:06 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

For me the magic bullet is consistency. No matter what workout I do (and that changes a lot) if I do it consistently, I will get results and will feel great. I do have some issues you've mentioned but moving, stretching and listening to my body helps. I've done barre, yoga, pilates, HDM, CS/ESS etc, but consistency is the key - not the workout type. For me, anyway.
Old 07-15-16, 02:26 PM  
PennyK

Yes, Classical Stretch is my magic bullet!

I have all the dvds and find them equally essential, but will say for a newbie you may want to try the newer releases as they seem to get better and better.

The Aging Backwards series is for beginners and Miranda gives lots of form pointers that has helped my practice even though I had already been doing CS for awhile. Season 11 has great form pointers as well and like the name implies is for full body mobility. I am currently using season 11 episodes after a thirty minute Jessica Smith workout and feeling fantastic. The Ultimate Stretch is great and I have often used the 15 minute segments when needing to focus on a particular area. Sahra's Toning for Beginners would be another good one to start with.

I'm not familiar with their streaming, but that would be a good place to start with to see if you like them before making a larger investment. Some people prefer Sahra over Miranda, but I love them both!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 02:30 PM  
jerebo

Thanks for the replies. Cherimac and Usia, I'm sure you're both right--about experimenting and consistency. I'm good at experimenting, but not so good at consistency I think the two may be mutually exclusive! Penny, I think maybe I will give streaming a try, for a couple of months. Though I'd love to take advantage of the current sale...
Old 07-15-16, 02:37 PM  
Aunt Famous

Yo, Jen.

I got the original ART Method DVD in a trade, and I found it really hard on my wonky ole knees. If you would like the DVD, you're welcome to PM me -- I'd be happy to send it to you for a SASE or Amazon gift card.

You know, I really like Ellen Barrett. You may have to ignore some of her chatter ("I don't mean Scrawny Sculpt!"), but she has a really nice combination of weights, stretching, and movement -- with zero dread factor and absolutely no need for shoes.

AND if you find that magic bullet, for heaven's sake, let us all know.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 02:43 PM  
PennyK

Jen, if you do decide to purchase a CS dvd and don't like it, they are very tradable/sellable...just in case you need a little more enabling.

Seriously though, there are several CS/Essentrics threads going on right now that you can read others thoughts on. Also, I want to add that CS helps me to be consistent because they feel so darn good.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 03:33 PM  
kalliope999

I think Essentrics or Classical Stretch could help a lot with your stretching and posture goals. They tend to just make people's bodies feel better, looser, and more limber. I've gotten compliments on how I looked taller and like my waist was longer when I was doing Essentrics almost exclusively (a little Turbo Jam cardio and walking thrown in). A lot of that was due to improved posture (which was already good before) and the upward torso stretching moves, I think.

As for toning, it depends on what your goals are. You will definitely firm up a bit from the strengthening moves, and as long as you don't out-eat your movement you will probably get a little sleeker over time.

I'm only familiar with the Essentrics workouts since I don't really do the CS seasons, so others will have to pipe in with their CS recs. The streaming is a wonderful way to sample everything and figure out what you like. But if you really wanted to get a DVD during the sale, Toning for Beginners is a good place to start if you want toning but need to build up stamina and strength. Ultimate Stretch has great stretches and mild toning with both Sahra and Miranda. I think the Barre DVD is a little slower and therefore better for beginners than some others.
Miranda's Age Reversing Bundle might be a good choice, too.

Have you seen this page with recommendations for Beginners? It has tips, and then helps you select workouts based on your fitness and/or pain levels.

This Media collection page has links to all of their video clips, instructionals, and sample workout snippets on YouTube and Vimeo. There are videos with both Sahra and Miranda. A great way to try some things!
Old 07-15-16, 03:57 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am into balance and my magic bullets are low impact cross training and stretching. My cross training includes cardio, barre, Pilates, and swimming. My stretching includes hatha, restorative, & yin yoga and a little Essentrics. I think cross training works your muscles more evenly and stretching helps prevent injury.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-16, 04:25 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Sorry if this is in this thread already. You can stream their channel for a month and see if it suits you and your body. They have almost everything on there and lots of variety. It's like $15. Better than investing tons of money in seasons, at least until you have a better feel.

And magic bullet... in my dreams there is one out there for me . My body likes at least some intensity (but not impact) so I'm loving Bodycombat at the gym, it also likes spinning. My brain likes the intensity too. But none of that seems to help my weight- I do have decent muscles even though I'm overweight right now.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art method, classical stretch, terri walsh