Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-16, 10:50 PM  
Cybersparkle

So far, I have been 'safe' from having to transition to streaming subscriptions.

After searching, I have finally found my niche' & must do fav instructors - Ellen Barrett & Raviana.

Neither of them solely stream & either offer dvds or downloads.
I like Leslie, Travis & Bellyfit, but I don't have to have them. Leslie's still making dvds. Travis' ultimate yogi is more than enough for several years, I think. When I can afford the new Bellyfit, I'll try their streaming - no rush tho.

The youtube vids I dabble in here & there I download to my external drive for safe keeping. Like I love all of Befit's Denise Austin free stuff.

For sure, when Ellen streams permanently, I'll jump head first to swim in that stream & join the rest of modern society lol

Til then, I'm on the shore watching everyone else swim & taking notes for my turn

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 11:29 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Another reason I'm glad I have resisted the clutches of iTunes for all this time. My files are mine, to do with as I please, on any device. Except an iPhone or Pad, neither of which I have.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:13 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Another reason I'm glad I have resisted the clutches of iTunes for all this time. My files are mine, to do with as I please, on any device. Except an iPhone or Pad, neither of which I have.
Clutches? I uploaded original spoken word mp3s using iTunes, and tracks off of CDs where my boombox could not handle programming track #s in my preferred order, if the # was 20 or higher; back when I'd had glacial-speed (in these parts) DSL for 7 years. They'd somehow managed to be very good to me. Long before I could stream anything video worth a damn ...at the former wired speeds.

Yeah, I know. Spoken like a relic.

When it comes to audio ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:40 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Oh well, my methods work for me. And I'm probably older than you.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:56 AM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Your link does not work for some. Here is a more-supported link for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE
Thanks, mine was a mobile link. Too bad in our tech advanced world they don't convert automatically.

I can't say I agree wholeheartedly with the video but it's a fun little answer to all the bashing they recieve as the latest younger generation.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 08:27 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=BunnyHop;2620754

This business model serves the seller, not the buyer.

Long term, I wonder where this is going, and when the customers are going to wise up?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 1000%
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:10 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I don't understand. I've downloaded a good number of YT videos to my Apple laptop. I can even burn them to DVD if I want to. Same deal with the CDs I ripped to iTunes.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:10 AM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
DVDs are not the way to go with subscribers to simplicity (whether voluntary or involuntary). They have to be stored in a certain way; under certain conditions; they take up space; they become obsolete quickly in both content and technologically ...

Unless one lives hermetically sealed from fumes, pests, dust, humidity, odors, vibrations and other environmental encroachments, one could add on the costs and time involved in maintaining the furniture, items and spaces ... not to mention equipment ... and the actual DVDs/DVD covers themselves.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think the issue with DVDs is that they are fragile and require special, careful handling or are inherently perishable, both physically and in terms of their content. I have fitness DVDs that I've had for 15 years that I still use. The DVDs and covers are still in perfect condition, and the content isn't outdated. And I don't live in a hermetically sealed, pet-free home. I'm actually pretty messy. It's true that some instructors' workouts don't age as well because they wear trendy outfits, use trendy slang, or base their workout on whatever is most popular at the time. But for the most part if instructors are more interested in delivering a solid workout than being the coolest instructor on the block, their workouts tend to remain solid.

I think the main issue is just that with technological developments people have just changed the way they interact with media. Lots of people don't have television sets any longer - everything is done on a phone or tablet or laptop. Also, with the massive amount of information constantly available via the internet, people have increasingly lost their patience with repetition. Back in the day, we would do the same workouts over and over and over and over and over again for years and years. That's become less necessary but, more importantly, with the constant stimulation from the internet and endless opportunities for new things, new stimulus, I think lots of people are losing the focus required to stick with something over the long haul rather than always having something fresh and new. I don't think this is necessarily a generational thing, it's more a reaction to changing technology, regardless of people's age.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:20 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post

I think the main issue is just that with technological developments people have just changed the way they interact with media. Lots of people don't have television sets any longer - everything is done on a phone or tablet or laptop. Also, with the massive amount of information constantly available via the internet, people have increasingly lost their patience with repetition. Back in the day, we would do the same workouts over and over and over and over and over again for years and years. That's become less necessary but, more importantly, with the constant stimulation from the internet and endless opportunities for new things, new stimulus, I think lots of people are losing the focus required to stick with something over the long haul rather than always having something fresh and new. I don't think this is necessarily a generational thing, it's more a reaction to changing technology, regardless of people's age.
I agree with this.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 10:02 AM  
Chomper

Don't have much to add, just that I'm someone who is great with paying for Netflix and Hulu streaming, and I pay for a streaming music service too. But so far, I cannot get on board workout streaming services yet. We did the Les Mills steaming for about 6 months, but mostly because my husband wanted to, and then he got fed up with them and cancelled. Maybe Someday there will be an equivalent to Netflix that had such a vast catalog of workouts for a very reasonable monthly price, and I will sign up. But as it stands, the value for money is not there for me yet.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions