Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-16, 05:47 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Unhappy

Guess I'd better hoard my dvds & vhs tapes. Living in the boonies without cell service & only satellite internet service makes streaming impossible. I'll stick with the oldies & goodies & forget about the new streaming only stuff.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:14 PM  
BunnyHop

The fact is, people who sell stuff want to make money on a regular basis.

If they sell you a dvd, that's it. Selling you a streaming service? If you want the product, you have to keep paying.

This business model serves the seller, not the buyer.

Long term, I wonder where this is going, and when the customers are going to wise up?

How many monthly fees can any one person reasonably be expected to pay?

Me? I have a VCR hooked into my fancy new cable box. The picture and sound quality aren't great, but they're good enough. All I really want to do is avoid missing my favorite shows.
Old 03-19-16, 06:19 PM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
The fact is, people who sell stuff want to make money on a regular basis.

If they sell you a dvd, that's it. Selling you a streaming service? If you want the product, you have to keep paying.

Long term, I wonder where this is going, and when the customers are going to wise up?

Me? I have a VCR hooked into my fancy new cable box. The picture and sound quality aren't great, but they're good enough. All I really want to do is avoid missing my favorite shows.

This is all true but several instructors offer downloads of digital products which only have to be paid for once like a dvd. So sticking to those instructors would serve the buyer more and may push more sellers to offer downloads in the future.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:30 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
This is all true but several instructors offer downloads of digital products which only have to be paid for once like a dvd. So sticking to those instructors would serve the buyer more and may push more sellers to offer downloads in the future.
Yes, I like downloads and have several of Jessica Smith's. She even has an option to send them to someone else so you can still trade them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I don't see streaming being much different than going to a class. If you keep going to classes you keep paying and, like streaming, you get more variety than with a few dvds. And don't forget all the free workouts many instructors put on YouTube. I think streaming is generally over priced (just my opinion) and will come down as it becomes more competitive with more and more instructors offering it. I have a two different full year subscriptions that I bought on Groupon and Black Friday deals, one for $29, one for $60. That's pretty affordable. I do still use my dvds, but not as much and have pared down my collection recently.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:32 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Hmm, I go to the gym and seriously, the millennials don't seem to have any different habits than anyone else. They may check their phone between sets, but they seem to jump back on. They aren't waiting 5 minutes between sets.

On occasion, someone uses a machine as a place to rest, but other than that, they seem to be working out. I do see plenty of really bad behavior, one being talking on the phone while in the middle of the gym. The younger people I know seldom talk on the phone and almost never just chat.

I went over to the dark side, and now I find having to go find a workout dvd a pain. Much prefer streaming. Circuits seem to be super popular and I find them boring as heck and I'm close to being a senior citizen.

Now! Get off my lawn!
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:52 PM  
halebop

For those that download...what is your preferred storage method? (Humor me - I'm just starting to "let go" of my need to have a physical dvd)

I worry that if my laptop bites the dust - my purchases will be lost. (unlike iTunes which I'd just reinstall on the next computer and be set). Do you use an external drive? Cloud storage? If you're using cloud - there's a monthly fee for that, yes? Thanks for any help as I maybe change my ways...
halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:53 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Hmm, I go to the gym and seriously, the millennials don't seem to have any different habits than anyone else. They may check their phone between sets, but they seem to jump back on. They aren't waiting 5 minutes between sets.

On occasion, someone uses a machine as a place to rest, but other than that, they seem to be working out. I do see plenty of really bad behavior, one being talking on the phone while in the middle of the gym. The younger people I know seldom talk on the phone and almost never just chat.

I went over to the dark side, and now I find having to go find a workout dvd a pain. Much prefer streaming. Circuits seem to be super popular and I find them boring as heck and I'm close to being a senior citizen.

Now! Get off my lawn!
You know what's worse? ... I remember certain gyms they would sing to the music audible only to them (earbuds) at top volume, as if they were auditioning for American Idol or The Voice

Um, I would say the same figuratively ... off my lawn ...

It had taken the better part of 3 years to come around to any subscription streaming ... (but non-commit - just like the Gen Y's ... some of the Gen X's)

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 06:58 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I don't see streaming being much different than going to a class. If you keep going to classes you keep paying and, like streaming, you get more variety than with a few dvds.
My thoughts exactly. I can't go to live classes because of time constraints and distance to most classes I WOULD like to attend. Streaming totally works for me and it's worth it. I'm a Boomer.
Old 03-19-16, 07:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post
For those that download...what is your preferred storage method? (Humor me - I'm just starting to "let go" of my need to have a physical dvd)

I worry that if my laptop bites the dust - my purchases will be lost. (unlike iTunes which I'd just reinstall on the next computer and be set). Do you use an external drive? Cloud storage? If you're using cloud - there's a monthly fee for that, yes? Thanks for any help as I maybe change my ways...
My only downloads are Jessica Smith's in Purple Player. I can access them through my account on any of my devices. I have a PP player app on both my laptop & tablet. So really I guess they stream, although there is a download option which I assume would put them exclusively on my laptop.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-16, 08:28 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

The videos that I download I keep a backup copy on an external hard drive as well as loading them on a high volume flash drive or SD chip that I then play on my laptop streaming to a TV.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon bust, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, external dvd drive, subscriptions