Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-16, 10:03 PM  
bex

Deltafit + ???

Spurred by all the recent excitement about Metashred, I just acquired Deltafit Speedshred and tried the first workout of Phase 1.

I was delighted to discover that doing the workout 'as is' - not modifying up or down - is exactly right for my current level of fitness.

But, at 30 mins, it's a bit short. I'm used to 1 hour workouts - and since I use them when I go to the gym with my husband, I need something to fill out the rest of the time while he's working out.

I'd probably do it after DF because I like the way BJ uses the first circuit as a functional warmup.

Possibilities include:
- RKS KB workouts (which I'm also just starting but I've found to be moderate intensity, could add endurance)
- SUAT - I could take advantage of the range of KBs available at the gym and go heavy
- Gilad QF or Karen Gentz XTF Toning - Conventional weights organized into splits, 20-30 mins to fry one body part each workout.
- Yoga. I'm a yoga beginner but would like to start a regular practice. The only problem is that most yoga workouts seem to be either 15 mins or 1 hour. I don't know how I'd create a 30 min practice.

Thoughts?
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 10:10 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

You could add on one of the HEAT or kettlebell workouts from the set.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 10:15 PM  
bex

Thanks dutchgirl! I was hoping you'd drop in.

I haven't tried them yet but the 2 of the 3 HEAT workouts are more than 30 mins and I suspect would be too intense after I've already done the metabolic workout. Ditto the advanced and cardio KB workouts.

I think I read you used DF as add-ons after you completed the rotation - what did you usually add them after?
Old 03-13-16, 10:57 PM  
Chomper

When I did Delta Fit, I added on as I felt like it. Sometimes,

A couch to 5k run (about 35 min), then a delta fit
A delta fit, then a 20, 30 or 45 minute yoga, depending on the day
A delta fit, then a half hour cardio

There are actually quite a lot of yoga that is 30 minutes. The Element DVDs are usually all 2 30 minute practices, and if you have access to YouTube in your workout area, the possibilities are endless. At the time I used Nicki Doane power yoga, which was available on YouTube and I have since bought the DVDs.

I can't remember if I ever did this, but I know others have stacked two delta fits back to back. Wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes of rest inbetween first!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 11:48 PM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I can't remember if I ever did this, but I know others have stacked two delta fits back to back. Wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes of rest inbetween first!
Hah! That would probably kill me right now. If I make it through the rotation, it's a good idea for a 2nd round....
Old 03-14-16, 06:49 AM  
bubbles76

I haven't done DeltaFit, but like Chomper said there are plenty of 20 and 30 minute options to do yoga afterwards. Why not do that? Off the top of my head:
  • Rodney Yee AM Yoga for Your Week
  • Rodny Yee Ultimate Yoga
  • Rodney Yee Yoga for Your Week
  • Rodney Yee Daily Yoga
  • Sara Ivanhoe has a 20 minute set that escapes my memory right now. I believe it was with Natural Journeys.
  • Rainbeau Mars has a power yoga set that escapes my memory right now - Pure Power, Pure Sweat, Beginners, Tranquility
  • Gwen Lawrence has a dvd that was actually repacked under two names. It has two or three 20-minute practices on it.

So yea, lots of choices for yoga!

There may be a thread around here that lists shorter yoga practices. If I find it, I'll link to it here.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 07:37 PM  
bex

Chomper and bubbles, thanks for the recommendations.

Why I am not surprised that your suggestions would lead to me checking out (and possibly buying) more DVDs? I should have seen that one coming.....
Old 03-14-16, 07:42 PM  
bubbles76

Haha Bex! Actually, try some short yoga workouts on youtube first, if you have access. There are some excellent ones on there.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 03-14-16, 10:47 PM  
bex

Yeah, unfortunately, youtube isn't really an option in China.

You US folks don't know how lucky you are....
Old 03-19-16, 10:03 PM  
bubbles76

Sorry Bex

Oh, I just thought of some other short yoga workouts - Tara Lee Element of Yoga - there's a Fire, Water, and Earth. And the shorter Yoga Zone workouts.

Tags
bj gaddour, deltafit, nicki doane, rotation ideas