Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-15, 09:33 AM  
desderata

Quote:
Muscle imbalances lead to more injuries than people realize and it is SO easy to overwork the front of the body and forget about the back. Even if you think you are working your back enough, you probably aren't working it as hard as your front. Really, the back should be stronger than the front, not the other way around. I keep my focus all the time on remembering to work the posterior chain hard: glutes, hamstrings, low mid and upper back, posterior delts and I try to include exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff as well. I know that has helped keep my knees pain free and it has helped prevent shoulder pain with my Horizontal Conditioning workouts.

Great advice, thanks. I'm sure I need to work on the posterior chain more.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 09:58 AM  
Sara1000

Originally Posted by desderata View Post
"One more thing - a couple of years ago when I decided to increase my level of fitness and strive for more advanced/intnese workouts, I focused on patience. I lifted a little bit less weight and did a little less high impact than I thought I could. I very gradually increased poundage, impact and length of workouts. It took about 6 months to get to my goal in terms of level of intensity, but I did it without a single injury and without feeling beat up in the process. If I woke up one morning and felt sore all over I chose a lighter workout than planned and sometimes just called it a rest day and only stretched. Keep in mind that I was in my early 50s, so someone in their 30s or even early 40s might not have to approach it so gradually."

And from eyefit: "This is exactly how I got to my current level of fitness...SLOWLY. We're talking a couple of years of slowly ramping up my workouts and I'm still working on pushing myself further just to see how strong and fit I can get. I take back off weeks as well to foster recovery and then get back to pushing myself. I was in my late 30's when I decided once and for all to get fit. I really do believe that slow and steady wins the race.

The other SUPER important thing that I'm convinced has helped keep injuries at bay for me: working my posterior chain. Muscle imbalances lead to more injuries than people realize and it is SO easy to overwork the front of the body and forget about the back. Even if you think you are working your back enough, you probably aren't working it as hard as your front. Really, the back should be stronger than the front, not the other way around. I keep my focus all the time on remembering to work the posterior chain hard: glutes, hamstrings, low mid and upper back, posterior delts and I try to include exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff as well. I know that has helped keep my knees pain free and it has helped prevent shoulder pain with my Horizontal Conditioning workouts."

This IS great advice! This is the approach I have been taking for months and I AM making progress but it DOES take patience. However, anyone who has experienced an injury from too much too soon should be motivated to work out the slow and steady way.

This is of course the opposite of the approach some trainers seem to advocate
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 10:04 AM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

I watch my form very carefully, don't do moves that I know stress my body and take at least 1-2 days off per week.
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 10:07 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You've received excellent advice. I think I would do Leslie right now. She has a recent dvd that includes resistance training with weights as well as her usual cardio. Concentrate on your kids and be active with them. Take them for walks and to the park. It will instill good habits in them for later life and help you as well. You are to be commended for doing what you're doing. Best wishes to all of you.
Old 09-22-15, 11:27 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've redefined what fitness means to me. Done with "results" in terms of getting skinny, etc.

I'm getting older and of course I want to look good but more importantly I want to feel good. Being a workout warrior and hurting for days after doesn't enhance my life.

My goals are to continue to enjoy an active lifestyle, maintain/increase mobility, and manage pain. Looking good and feeling good is a great added benefit.

I've stuck pretty much to the same rotation for years now: CS/Ess, Qi Gong, walking, Ellen, a little yoga. I love to ski in the winter.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 11:56 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I am loving the ART Method @ Home videos (20 free workouts on YouTube). Last year I was doing the full mat workouts and they were just my speed. Then I took some months off from working out. As I build my strength and endurance back up, these videos have been a lifesaver to my workout program. These progress in difficulty incrementally so you can do what was suggested here and build slowly (do each one for a week or until mastered then move to the next).
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 02:26 PM  
Alan

As others have said, take it SLOWLY. More slowly than you think is reasonable. Tendons and ligaments take a lot longer to strengthen than muscles do and doing too much too quickly can injure them. I have a history of tendonitis and I typically take 3 times longer to complete a rotation than what is normally suggested.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 02:54 PM  
Aunt Famous

You have gotten some great advice. I will add two things.

1) I get a massage every month. I had years of cervical and lumbar pain. Regular massage has helped me avoid recurrences -- especially with the cervical pain, which is terrible.

2) I make a point of changing shoes regularly. I aim for every six months, or sooner, if my feet start to hurt. I went to a local running store to get fitted for the right walking shoes, and it made a huge difference. I bought the first pair there ($120 -- OUCH), and thereafter resupply with Amazon (just paid $45 yesterday for my latest pair).

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 03:04 PM  
BunnyHop

I seem to be in a perpetual cycle of on again, off again fitness routines, and I've found that when I start back up again I simply MUST start slowly even if I only took a break of a week or less.

For example, after my dad's recent surgery I took a few days off because I spent so much time helping him that I thought an actual workout might be too exhausting. Once I started up again, I kept an easy pace, and was careful not to over do it. I'm still not back into the routine I had before that, but I am going out walking every single day, and my muscles are kinda sore, so I guess I'm doing something right.
Old 09-22-15, 03:53 PM  
videofit

I listen to my body. I know from past injuries when to back off or risk making things worse. I've also gone from heavy weights to endurance style workouts.

Tags
injuries, injury