Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-14, 02:03 AM  
PrairieGem

Question Stitches + tetanus and flu shots...?

So tonight I sliced my finger open (beware pumpkin pie filling!! ) and ended up at urgent care for 4 stitches and a tetanus shot. While there, I also got my flu vaccine. I'll take it easy tomorrow (my arms--not to mention finger!!--are pretty sore from the shots), but I'm wondering if I should skip a couple more days, too. Dr. said I'm OK to run whenever, but lately I'm more & more mindful of overall, systemic stress & not overdoing it. I've been running pretty hard this week, in nasty weather (it was kind of awesome.).

What would you guys do? I already can't sew, stitch, type/write, or cook....

Thanks!
Old 12-12-14, 06:06 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I had to get a tetanus shot this past spring, and I hadn't had one since I was a teenager (so, 25+ years ago). I was so utterly sick from it that I didn't work out for nearly two weeks, and could barely do activities of daily living. I went to work, took care of my kids, and that was it. After about 10 days, I was better, but it something that I don't want again anytime soon!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 08:15 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
What would you guys do? I already can't sew, stitch, type/write, or cook....

Thanks!
Well, since you already can't do basic things, then it makes sense to take off couple of days from workouts - until your arm feels better.

I never had any problems with tetanus shots (last one 2 years ago), but I had major swelling, discomfort and yes - a mild case of flu - as a result of a flu shot. I had to have a flu shot twice in the past, and won't get it again - unless I'm forced to.
Old 12-12-14, 08:41 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I have never had a reaction from the flu shot or my most recent tetanus shot (don't hold an avocado in your palm while pitting it with a sharp paring knife, duh), but I agree that it's best to take it easy when you're dumping another task on your immune system. How about an easier run or walk?
Old 12-12-14, 09:12 AM  
laurajhawk

I agree with the notion of a lighter workout, but NOT more days off. For me, that danged tetanus shot ache doesn't go away unless I get my heart rate up - I think it helps the (whatever it is) get distributed through my body and not sit there at the injection site. But because of the systemic and immune-system stress, I'd do something indoors and not stressful - maybe a good long stretch or yoga?

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-14, 12:44 PM  
PrairieGem

Thanks, everyone! I'm no worse than excpected today, thank goodness. Those are some scary stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Well, since you already can't do basic things, then it makes sense to take off couple of days from workouts - until your arm feels better.
Well, it's more a matter of needing that finger to do almost anything *but* exercise, than the injury itself laying me flat, and I'm sore & bored silly. The shots feel like DOMS right below my delts; not too bad. Finger... finger feels like I nearly sliced the tip off with a tin can lid.

Quote:
I agree with the notion of a lighter workout, but NOT more days off. For me, that danged tetanus shot ache doesn't go away unless I get my heart rate up - I think it helps the (whatever it is) get distributed through my body and not sit there at the injection site.
Laura, that makes a lot of sense! And I have the perfect light day w/o for this sort of thing: KCM's Start Here. It's a nice, short, totally-non-stressful cardio that *always* makes me feel happy & energized after. I'll see how i feel tomorrow, and whether or not I succumb to DH's (running buddy) wheedling!

Tags
injury, stress, vaccines