Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-14, 11:46 PM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

DDP Yoga and injuries

I am interested in the DDP Yoga set, as the inspirational video of the man recovering from his injuries makes me believe that it might be an option for me as I recover from a chronic SI joint/hip/hamstring problem. For those who have tried the set, how intense is it, and is it easy to modify and use when recovering from injury? Also, what are your general thoughts on the program?

Thanks for your help.
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 12:14 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

DDP Yoga is a solid strength based yoga program. DDP always has a modifier in his workouts and I certainly think you could adapt the program to meet your needs. My 11 year old will do the basic workouts with me!

I have some chronic injuries and really progressed through the program and had amazing strength gains. I think that his rotation is lacking in recovery workouts and would add in some stretching or Yin yoga. Also, I found that as the rotation progressed, doing strength based yoga every day was detrimental to my injuries; 3x/week was enough for me, alternating with Classical Stretch or Yin yoga. YMMV.

I love his attitude; he always says to "make the DDP Yoga workouts your own; modify them however you see fit".

I bet they go on sale again for Black Friday. They did last year.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 01:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I agree with Jackie. DDP is an excellent program to build strength and improve balance. But it does lack in recovery and stretching and I think yin yoga would compliment it well. I love yin yoga, have my favorite poses that I do almost every day.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 11:59 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I like DDPY, but I "make it my own". I do it a few times a week at most.

For my taste there is way too much emphasis on lunge positions where you are on the toes of your back foot. In fact, there is so much time spent in that posture in the various workouts that it started irritating the bottom of my feet. I starting doing a regular yoga lunge (back foot down) and no more problems.

I also ignore the constant exhortations to "engage". I understand that raises your heart rate, but I don't do yoga for cardio. I found my neck and traps were getting really sore and tight by constantly engaging the muscles, so I stopped.

I think this is a very good body weight strength routine. It can also improve balance. It's easy to modify the postures; there is always a modifier. I agree that there should be more recovery workouts where you spend a lot of time actually stretching. DDP cues well and is a motivating instructor, and the DVD participants are all regular folks who have been doing his program. I'm on the Team DDP forum and there are numerous people who have lost substantial amounts of weight and greatly improved their health by following the program. They make me want to stand up and cheer.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-14, 03:31 PM  
Orlita

I'm really interested in getting this set. Does anyone remember what the Black Friday discount was? There seems to be some sort of discount already on the site, but I imagine that's just par for the course.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 08:33 AM  
dsa3

I have been doing DDP for a year! I basically stopped doing my weight workouts and have exclusively done yoga - I added in Short and Sweet workouts by Travis Eliot for the last couple of months. For cardio, I walk.
Before doing these workouts, I was very skeptical that could stay strong and in shape with just yoga.
What I find is that my body feels so much better after I do my workouts. I will wake up and have some stiffness. When I am done with yoga, I am aligned, painfree and feel strong.
I have made it my own, have better posture and feel so much better - and I was in pretty good shape before I started these.
I got them before the black friday sale last year but they are so worth it.
Cheers!
dsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-14, 08:40 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa3 View Post
I have been doing DDP for a year! I basically stopped doing my weight workouts and have exclusively done yoga - I added in Short and Sweet workouts by Travis Eliot for the last couple of months. For cardio, I walk.
Before doing these workouts, I was very skeptical that could stay strong and in shape with just yoga.
What I find is that my body feels so much better after I do my workouts. I will wake up and have some stiffness. When I am done with yoga, I am aligned, painfree and feel strong.
I have made it my own, have better posture and feel so much better - and I was in pretty good shape before I started these.
I got them before the black friday sale last year but they are so worth it.
Cheers!
My sister does Power Yoga classes twice a week and hikes several miles on the weekends. That's all the exercise she gets, and, at 60, she's in the best shape of her life (she's not the tiny-waisted, slender thing of her 20s, but she's stronger and more flexible now than then).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 07:50 AM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Thanks again for all of the replies. I am watching for a Black Friday sale - fingers crossed!
Old 11-28-14, 10:05 AM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

There is a Black Friday sale, in case anyone is interested. I ordered the set.

Tags
ddp yoga, diamond dallas page, injury, si joint, yrg yoga