Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-14, 10:46 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I really like my dvds. I also don't have great internet service and the freezing with streaming is so frustrating! I also really like having something tangible for my purchase, and wonder if the service I subscribe to would delete any workouts that I really enjoyed.

DVDs are so easy.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 01:21 AM  
starbelly

There is a sort of Netflix for fitness-- Fitnessclass.com. That site has a fairly low price ($10/month when I was a member) and has a large variety of workout styles and instructors. You can search by several different variables and if you have an apple device (I don't) you can download. A quick look at their site shows nearly 500 different workouts and more than 70 instructors. They also have free workouts so you can see if their streaming works well with your device.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 02:13 AM  
Calistro

After reading this thread I went on Amazon to look at purchasing another dvd player.

The day streaming becomes the norm is the day I stop buying workouts, and no I do not want to change.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 03:19 AM  
Cybersparkle

I like dvds but I think I will be pushed over only when my favorite instructors start streaming only and I have no other options.

When Ellen Barrett, Belly Fit and or some Leslie's start streaming only, I WILL figure out a way to get access!

Starbelly I checked out Fitness class and they have Ellen's Fat Burning Fusion for free

I cant seem to get a specific link to post here - I just searched Pilates and checked the free only box.

Guess that's a sign, I will be streaming soon lol
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 05:23 AM  
Tanja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
I hope not. Just having access to what I buy and not being able to own it gets a big thumbs-down from me.
Yeah that!
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:03 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I have not embraced streaming yet since I don't think one site will have everything that I like. For example, I like kettlebells, kickboxing, dance, TA/Yin, MMA-type workouts. That's 5 genres multiplied by monthly subscription multiplied by 12. That's a lot of money. At the end of the year, I don't own anything.

I like suzy's comment though about considering the fees as buying experience. I pay my son's basketball trainer $30 per one-on-one session.

Nobody has mentioned this yet but I still prefer the crispness or picture clarity of DVD content over streaming. Just a preference.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:18 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
I have not embraced streaming yet since I don't think one site will have everything that I like. For example, I like kettlebells, kickboxing, dance, TA/Yin, MMA-type workouts. That's 5 genres multiplied by monthly subscription multiplied by 12. That's a lot of money. At the end of the year, I don't own anything.
Like you said, DVDs do have better picture quality. But here is a site that, if they do it right, will address our concern about not having all our favorite genres or instructors in one place. Go Flaunt It looks like it has potential. And if they don't do it right, maybe an entrepreneurial VFer will create something.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:26 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I will hang on to DVD's and do downloads. Streaming works mostly, but I don't have a TV that I can attach anything to in my workout area for streaming, which means more $ to invest in upgrading that I don't have an appetite for at the moment. Plus I feel for those who do not have high speed internet. I have been there and it sucks.

I can attest that people who live in bedroom communities around here who do not have access to broadband - and there is little hope of it coming to them soon. The telcos and cable TV companies have zero reason to invest in upgrades to their infrastructure when the population density does not justify it. Believe me, if they could make a buck doing it, they would have already done it. Instead they wail around about how they need government money and incentives to do the investing and then still only cherry pick. It's sad. Plus the FCC has broadband defined at such a low speed that live streaming is often not reliable. Satellite often won't work either and heaven forbid if there's any atmospheric interference.

I hope that, until broadband penetration reaches a higher level, DVD's or some other form of media will remain available and viable for those who cannot get broadband.

I agree with Mizach... paying multiple sites for streaming fees will be more costly than what I pay for cable and internet, which is atrocious.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 06:48 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
Like you said, DVDs do have better picture quality. But here is a site that, if they do it right, will address our concern about not having all our favorite genres or instructors in one place. Go Flaunt It looks like it has potential. And if they don't do it right, maybe an entrepreneurial VFer will create something.
Go Flaunt It looks promising indeed! Seems like they have not officially launched yet. How did you discover them?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 07:00 AM  
akaAnnie

My choices out here in the country are dial up or a hot spot limited to 5g a month. If everything goes to streaming I won't be doing any new workouts.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, digital storage, downloads, dvds versus streaming, end of dvds, streaming