Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-13, 01:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have a D2S ?

I've been doing the phase one workouts for almost three weeks now. I find that I can increase the weights each workout, but that I often need a slower pace and longer rests than what is shown in the dvd.

This, of course, makes the workouts take up more time, which I don't like. My question is: should I lighten the weights I'm using in order to keep pace with the dvd, or should I just accept that I need to go at a slower pace if I use the heaviest weight I can?
Old 08-26-13, 02:04 AM  
starbelly

I just started D2S and I think that phase 1 is higher rep/lower weight than phases 2 and 3. You could choose to go heavier and do fewer reps in order to stay within the time frame on the DVD. The DVD is a guide, but you can choose to alter it to suit your goals. If you want to heavy up and gain strength then go for fewer reps. I really like the shorter workouts and am pleased with the set so far.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 06:48 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It seems to me that some of the moves in phases 2 & 3 require lighter weights because more balance is involved. That's why I wondered if I should go as heavy as I can in this phase.
Old 08-26-13, 09:38 AM  
MKEMom

I don't know if it's the better thing to do or not, but I chose to lighten up a bit so I could keep pace with the video. I'm sure decreasing the reps would be fine too.

My biggest problem was with the step-ups in Strength 2. My grip would wear out long before my legs did. I tried it with a barbell, but I didn't like it.

Like Starbelly said, I would go with whatever seems to match with your goals. If you're looking to really build strength, then I would go heavier and do fewer reps.

I start Phase 2 today, and I don't think I'll be upping my weights much based on my preview.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 10:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEMom View Post
I start Phase 2 today, and I don't think I'll be upping my weights much based on my preview.
That actually makes me glad to hear--I'm using 12s and 15s in phase 1. I have up to 20lb. dumbbells and I really don't want to have to buy a heavier set!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 10:51 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm not in favor of a barbell on step-ups unless you have a spotter around. I think it's too easy to lose your balance and tip sideways. Holding a barbell on your shoulders gives you a much higher center of gravity. Hopefully, your grip strength will improve.
Old 08-26-13, 11:54 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I've been doing the phase one workouts for almost three weeks now. I find that I can increase the weights each workout, but that I often need a slower pace and longer rests than what is shown in the dvd.

This, of course, makes the workouts take up more time, which I don't like. My question is: should I lighten the weights I'm using in order to keep pace with the dvd, or should I just accept that I need to go at a slower pace if I use the heaviest weight I can?
I am not sure which is better it probably depends on your goals. But if you are wanting to work on strength, I guess I would use the heavier weight with fewer reps then work on upping the reps a little each workout if your form/control allows. When I use to go to a gym I briefly went to a trainer that wanted me to either increase weight or reps every workout or two. I started a t a weight that I could do for 12 reps and when I was able to do 15 reps it was time for a higher weight and then I would drop down to however many reps I could do with good form at the higher weight. I think the goal with phase 1 is a little different, but I also think it may be assuming the user is new to lifting or heavier lifting (i.e. the talk of starting with a similar weight to your purse sounds aimed towards those new to strength training). I know some trainers like to start beginners with highish reps (not barre/TA type high reps but 12-15 reps) and relatively lighter weights while they are learning form to get it "into muscle memory" and because a lot of newbie gains are from improved coordination between brain and muscles too. I am not sure how all that applies for people who have been strength training for a while unless they want to work on endurance. ???
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 12:35 PM  
MKEMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I'm not in favor of a barbell on step-ups unless you have a spotter around. I think it's too easy to lose your balance and tip sideways. Holding a barbell on your shoulders gives you a much higher center of gravity. Hopefully, your grip strength will improve.
Yeah, that was exactly how I felt... not safe. By the time I did them the last time, it felt easier on my hands. I have Powerblocks, and I think the grips are larger than on a dumbbell, plus I have stubby fingers

I did Phase Two Strength One today and I kept my weights about the same for everything. Adding in the balance elements kept me from going heavier, at least for now.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, grip strength, rachel cosgrove