Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-13, 10:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Cosgrove's Drop Two Sizes: Sub for High Pull?

I don't want to do high pulls. What would folks doing D2S suggest instead? Is there another option in her book?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:43 AM  
slysam

I have the book on my phone so I took a quick peak. I didn't see an alternative, it serves as the "power" exercise in that workout, so maybe dumbbell or kettlebell swings would serve much of the same intended purpose?

ETA: Or look at the Power exercise in the next phases to see if those are more suitable. In Phase Two it is a "Push press" which looks like a squat + shoulder press all in one motion and in phase 3 the book shows a box jump/jump squat in A and a Jump lunge in B.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 10:58 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

You could substitute another upper-body power exercise, like plyo pushups, kettlebell snatches, or med ball slams or tosses.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 11:30 AM  
momofcha

I did KETTLEBELL high pulls. A little different

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 11:57 AM  
shaka02

Hi,
I assume that you want to sub because you have a previous injury that you don't want to aggravate?

If so, then I would say that you want to pick an exercise that has a power component but is safer. I would add, in addition to some of the previous suggestions, to try the movement with no weights. It would be like a squat-jump but your toes don't leave the ground.

There is a Facebook group for D2S. Maybe you could ask for subs there as well.

Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 12:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I do a high push (up to a shoulder press) with light dumbells. You could also do the power exercise that she shows in workout B. Just do the same move in both the A & B workouts.
Old 07-07-13, 02:38 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions!

Deb, I don't belong to FaceBook. (I'm a dinosaur!)

I don't have any shoulder injuries. I just never liked high pulls. I used to do k-bell high pulls, but only with light bells. They seem like an accident waiting to happen for some folks.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 02:59 PM  
ellaenchanted

I have no injuries but don't want to do it either. I previewed and said "no way!" I would need expert instruction first. Maybe I'll ask a trainer at the gym to show me proper form.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 07:40 PM  
saffron

In Rachel's One Month to Muscles program the power exercises are medicine ball slam and medicine ball side toss.
In her Sleek Strong program she also uses kettlebell or dumbbell swings.
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 09:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Reviving Old Thread...

I'm reviving this thread b/c I thought I remembered seeing a question about high pulls when I did some research on D2S prior to starting the program. I'm now on the last week of Phase 1 (Week 4). Ever since I started the program, I have experienced some nagging discomfort in my right shoulder--it's actually like a knot on the back of my shoulder blade (on the inner part, closer to the spine), but I also have some feelings of discomfort along the right collarbone as well.

Up until now, I haven't been able to connect the problem with a specific exercise, but maybe it's related to the high pulls? Doing those two-handed, with heavy weights, and coming on to the toes definitely feels a bit odd to me (even though I'm fine with doing one-arm kettlebell high pulls). The high pulls only appear in Strength Workout #1 of Phase 1, and I only have one time left to do that one (tomorrow), but maybe I will try subbing the kettlebell high pulls instead.

I do think I am going to need to be willing to do more substitutions if I want to continue with this program--I haven't liked most of the core work, and all of the moves on the hands are starting to really bother my wrists.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, high pull, push-up substitutions, rachel cosgrove, substitution