Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-11, 07:05 AM  
beatchica

Impressed with the excellent advice here, but thought I would add my two cents too.

As a personal trainer I can tell you there are a few things that you will have to be vigilant about to lose the last few pounds.
- As a few folks already mentioned, I know we are not supposed to say this... But what you eat is about 75% of the equation, not so much the actual calorie count, but the types of calories. Keeping a food journal can be helpful.
- Also as others mentioned, mix up your workouts. Add intervals to your routine, this can really help get the metabolism going.
- Cut salt. Make sure you are sticking with a whole foods based eating plan. Salt can cause the body to maintain water, which makes it hard to shed pounds. Salt is sneaky, even things like organic breakfast cereals and organic pasta sauce are loaded with sodium. Go with whole oats, fruits, salads and veggies. Try to get the majority of your carbs from fresh vegetables.
- Adequate sleep and stress reduction, it is hard to lose weight, even when exercising, if you are stressed and not getting enough Zzzs!

Most important... You have done a wonderful job thus far, be sure to give your self credit and take pleasure in where you are at in this very moment, and be proud of your excellent accomplishment!
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:33 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucia View Post
Someone posted some great links about metabolism/food chemistry here a while back and I took them to heart and have been doing great ever since. I eat WAY more calories than I expend.

Good luck!
Do you have the link? Thanks!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:51 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucia View Post
That said, I respectfully disagree with the strict calories-in calories out thing. I know we can't discuss diet here but I seriously wonder if some people are not eating enough when they are trying to lose weight...it is all about quality of food for me.

Good luck!
Agreed.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchica View Post
Impressed with the excellent advice here, but thought I would add my two cents too.

As a personal trainer I can tell you there are a few things that you will have to be vigilant about to lose the last few pounds.
- As a few folks already mentioned, I know we are not supposed to say this... But what you eat is about 75% of the equation, not so much the actual calorie count, but the types of calories. Keeping a food journal can be helpful.
- Also as others mentioned, mix up your workouts. Add intervals to your routine, this can really help get the metabolism going.
- Cut salt. Make sure you are sticking with a whole foods based eating plan. Salt can cause the body to maintain water, which makes it hard to shed pounds. Salt is sneaky, even things like organic breakfast cereals and organic pasta sauce are loaded with sodium. Go with whole oats, fruits, salads and veggies. Try to get the majority of your carbs from fresh vegetables.
- Adequate sleep and stress reduction, it is hard to lose weight, even when exercising, if you are stressed and not getting enough Zzzs!

Most important... You have done a wonderful job thus far, be sure to give your self credit and take pleasure in where you are at in this very moment, and be proud of your excellent accomplishment!
As always, I find myself agreeing 100% with your posts, beatchica. Nicely written!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 10:00 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post
Do you have the link? Thanks!!!
Well, I've tried searching for the thread...can't find anything. The link was to a really good website with articles about fitness and body chemistry. I think they were all written by one person (I think he is a doctor). Some of the articles were really detailed & scientific. It may have been when we first had a lot of discussions about HiiT workouts here?? Maybe around when CLX came out?
Old 02-15-11, 10:27 AM  
rede2bfit

Lyle McDonald? http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
rede2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 11:43 AM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rede2bfit View Post
Thanks!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:59 PM  
marmalade

I was going to guess Lyle McDonald too.

Here's a link to one article in particular that I have recommended in the past to people (not on VF) and that they found very helpful -- it explains the calories in-calories out thing, and why it sometimes seems to people like it's not working for them:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-equation.html
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:07 PM  
poohpeggy

My personal experience is, if I eat more calories then I burn I get fat. Peggy
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:27 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
I was going to guess Lyle McDonald too.

Here's a link to one article in particular that I have recommended in the past to people (not on VF) and that they found very helpful -- it explains the calories in-calories out thing, and why it sometimes seems to people like it's not working for them:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...-equation.html
That's a great article. I wish other trainers would explain the energy balance equation so well. There are other good articles on (more science-oriented) sites that talk about the importance of things like sleep and NEAT when it comes to weight loss.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, multiple workouts per day, plateau, sparks, weight loss