Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-09, 04:20 PM  
hotncmom

Do we need to eat extra to compensate for calories burned when daily calorie allowance - calories burned is too low?

Example: If one is trying to stay around 1500 calories but burns off 400 at the gym, the net is 1100...too low. Does one need to eat extra in this case?

Is that OK to ask? If not, please PM me! I am trying to track my eating in Spark People but with that setting I get too weak if I exercise significantly.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 05:12 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
According to recent research, discussed by Jillian on her show, it doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you don't go over your allowed calories.
So true. The reason that we heard for YEARS AND YEARS that "eating after 7" or "eating carbs after 3" types of advice, and the reason it "seemed" to work for so many people is NOT because the time of day meant anything, it is because when we are eating at that time, many of us have already had our calorie limit for the day, so EVENING food is often EXCESS food. So sure, when we force ourselves to not eat in the evening, we are not munching while watching tv, and if we are not allowed 'carbs' after a certain time, well hells bells, most 'treats' are some form of carbs, so that eliminates THAT after your regular intake for the day.

But if you are not eating your calorie limit during the day, that 7:00 food is just food, matters not 'when' you eat it. (not for weight loss anyway, this does not apply to fueling for workouts).

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 05:23 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I think I totally ignore the fact that rest is just as important as working hard. I'm having a real hard time of not doing something for a day.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 06:39 PM  
Demeris

I ignored cardio, not necessarily intense but sustained. I've just, this week, added Leslie in every day, at least three miles. My job is very sedentary, and my favorite leisure-time activity is playing beached whale on the couch. So, regardless of my workout, I will get at least three miles in. That just might be a commitment. When I finish the June experiment, I'll change that up with Ellen and Petra and Kari, et al.

Also, last spring, I ignored the eating factor. I'm not eating any less, but I'm eating better quality. For the past five weeks, 85% of my meals came out of my kitchen (and of those meals, about 60% of those ingredients came from my dad's chickens/garden). I live alone, so there is absolutely NO CHANCE for denial when I know what went into the pan.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 09:13 PM  
Fidget Queen

I have ignored cardio for years. Since I had to stop running, my motivation for any kind of aerobic activity is pretty nil.

More importantly, though, I've ignored FUN. I am working on it, slowly, and learning that happiness, fun, and a desire to succeed is more important than any of it. Being sick for so long sucked the joy out of life and out of exercise. I'm slowly snapping out of it and realizing that I have to take time out everyday for something enjoyable, or make my exercise that enjoyable experience, or I will drop everything when I become overwhelmed and get nowhere.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 09:28 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post

More importantly, though, I've ignored FUN.
Yes!!!!! Two weeks ago, I took down all my workouts for which I had any dread factor and dispersed them among friends and family. I decided I would do only workouts I enjoyed, and this means almost no weighted work, nothing that moves too fast, nothing that makes me worry about my knees.

I'm 52 years old. I want to be healthy and active deep into my 90's and beyond, and that means, at the very least, moving every day, and enjoying that exercise.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:00 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I'm another who was "all intensity, all the time" and was amazed a couple of years ago to find that LESS intensity meant I dropped some weight (not on purpose, either).

I am just past the age where I can go all out all the time. I get achy and grumpy and start to dread my workouts. I make sure I mix it up; every week now I do a couple of intense cardios and a couple of much milder ones; one intense, pushing it strength workout and a couple of milder ones...

Seems to be working much better for me.

I guess what I ignored was the importance of cycling intensities rather than getting into all-out slug mode or all-out hyper mode. It seems easier, to me, to get into a rut than to mix it up. I don't know why that is!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:19 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I ignored stretching for years. Then I discovered how good it (and yoga) made my body feel!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 07:31 AM  
kat999

Put me in the camp of "I ignored cardio," too. That's the only thing that's ever done a thing to actually get me to lose weight, and yet because I get easily winded, I kept avoiding it, thinking that power yoga was good enough as cardio. Which it could be for some people, but not me. Only when I added back in Leslie and discovered Jillian did I actually see a weight deficit.

This is stuff I knew years ago when I belonged to a gym and would be on that treadmill for intense walk/jogs for at least 30 minutes at a time with good incline, but I guess I just allowed myself to blissfully forget that.

See, I love strength/toning stuff (weights, pilates, floor work, abs--oh my gosh, I LOVE any and all ab exercises, I don't even care if they're effective or not, they're fun for me), and I love stretching/yoga/ballet stuff, but I've just always hated cardio, hated how it made me feel while I was doing it, and only felt good after the workout was over. But I realize now that that which we hate is probably because we're not good at it yet and we must practice it more. So while I still let myself do all my fun stuff and frequently, I also go ahead and fit in the cardio and just power through it.

I am getting some fun out of running with the Wii Fit, though, gotta say. Something about trying to chase a cartoon will actually cause me to forget that I'm actually running/jogging.

Last edited by kat999; 06-25-09 at 07:31 AM. Reason: fixed typo
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 08:55 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I don't have a good answer for the main question at this time, but I've noticed the discussions of intensity: a happy medium looks nice.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plateau