Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-09, 01:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what did you ignore?

i'm finally seeing a little results. it's probably all water loss, but heck, i'll take anything at this point to spur me on.

for the past 5 years or so, i was assuming i didn't need to be really intense, exercise wise. lately, i've pulled out my basic step aerobics videos and have added 1-2 runs a week. running is not "all running" but run/walk/run/walk just to mix it up.

part of what inspired me was that i need to raise my HDL, and IIRC for myself, running and step were the only things that improved it. also, i read some old, old threads someone said that adding back step aerobics got them past a plateau.

so in short, i ignored the fact that i do have to add in intensity. i'm not working out longer, just more intensely. my schedule is not allowing me the luxury of working out for 1 whole hour these days.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 01:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Jeannine - I have added the intensity back in during the past few months. Now, I need to acknowledge that I need to get downstairs to exercise early enough that I can fit in workouts longer than 30 minutes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 01:58 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Jeannine - I have added the intensity back in during the past few months. Now, I need to acknowledge that I need to get downstairs to exercise early enough that I can fit in workouts longer than 30 minutes.
good for you!

whenever people scoff at "beginners please follow libby...," i'm reminded that we have to assume the role of beginner more often than we care to acknowledge.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 02:08 PM  
pcramer

Yep....after a year of moderate cardio exercise and barre workouts with no weightloss, I finally embraced the fact that the only way I am going to reach my goals is to exercise INTENSLY (i.e. Jillian, Barry, Cindy with Insanity firmly planted in my future).

As soon as I made the switch, along with eating in a deficit, the weight has been steadily coming off.

It is the only thing that has worked for me after being stuck for well over a year. I still do Leslie but she is my secondary workout at lunch time!!!
pcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 02:29 PM  
ssgilby

I'm the opposite. For a long time I ignored the signs of overtraining - bloating, irritability, chronic soreness, fatigue, illness and no change in terms of weightloss or inches. Although I looked pretty good, I was kind of stuck and all the intense workouts I was doing wasn't helping me make any progress on my goals of trimming some belly flab, reducing my thighs and getting a bit more definition in my upper body. In January I switched to less intense workouts (lots of Leslie, barre/ballet/fusion stuff, low-no weight/high rep stuff) and finally I felt better and started looking better! It was the "feeling better" that was the most important. It felt so good to finish a workout and feel good rather than like I got run over by a train. It was also so liberating to me to realize I don't need to spend hours upon hours exercising and that moderation is key.

I also ignored how crucial eating is. I really cleaned up my diet in the past year or so but although I was eating healthfully most of the time, I had a problem with portion control. Now that I'm working on that and also omitting sugar and most processed foods from my diet I am again noticing changes (for the better) in how I look and feel!
Old 06-24-09, 03:26 PM  
Kyra

I ignore anything that doesn't make sense to me, or contribute to my overall goals.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 03:32 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I ignored the eating component. It doesn't matter how much I exercise if my main food group is chocolate, I will never lose weight. or see the results that I want.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 03:41 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I've been in sheer denial about the whole eating thing for the past year and a half and found over 30# I'd lost previously I've been working out, I've been active, but I was not minding my evening eating, no portion control...really. I'd do great all day and then in the evening...now I'm back journalling all day...even the evening. Most days I am doing a lot better. And even when I overeat, I'm still logging it all in. By the grace of God, I'm going to get back where I was...at least deflate this spare tire so I look and feel better
Old 06-24-09, 03:44 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
. I'd do great all day and then in the evening...
I looked over my food log last night are realized I eat most often after 4pm. Like constantly...

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 03:59 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchworkpenguin View Post
I looked over my food log last night are realized I eat most often after 4pm. Like constantly...
According to recent research, discussed by Jillian on her show, it doesn't matter what time you eat as long as you don't go over your allowed calories. I prefer going to bed with my stomach empty or I can't sleep.

This thread proves once again that mixing up your routine and cutting calories will give you weight loss.

Tags
plateau