Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-19, 05:02 PM  
mtngoat

Which workout/instructor surprised you MOST after previewing?

Well, as a thread-killer, I am taking a big risk. Please don't make this a 1-posting thread!

Is there a workout or instructor who/which really surprised you when you actually did the workout after previewing? It could surprise you for a number of reasons: easier than it looks, harder than it looks, you thought you'd love it (but hate it), you thought you'd hate it (but love it), etc..

For me, it is Margaret Richard. I looked at her workouts and thought that they were way too easy for me (this was many many years back). I had minor surgery and couldn't do my regular workouts so tried some of hers. (Being a Vidiot I had purchased some). They were WAY harder and more effective than I thought they would be. I did about 8-weeks of mostly MR and think, if anything, I got fitter!

Do you have any good 'vidiot was surprised' stories?

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 06:25 PM  
Kitten

I do have a "vidiot was surprised" story.

I'm currently working through a virgin system.
Metrx 180.

Previewed cardio tactics 1. Not my kind of workout.
Went ahead and tried it and loved it. The modifier is amazing! And on days I'm short on time I just do the warm-up, first set of cardio, and the stretch. Comes in at around 20 minutes and the stretch is decent.

OTOH, I tried the kickboxing workout from the system and hated it. I am on a kickboxing kick right now, but throwing some punches and then getting on the floor for pushups?

Hard pass.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 06:29 PM  
bubbles76

Lori, Margaret Richard for me too! I actually was able to do a pull up after doing her workouts for six weeks. I don't know how, but there you go. And no pain! They were harder than expected, and though I was sore, none of my twingey areas were affected.

Fit in 10 Belly Fix really surprised me. So far, I'm loving this set. The workouts are varied enough that I'm not bored. It's also intense enough that I am feeling it but not too intense that I feel defeated.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 06:29 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

The one instructor that surprised me most after previewing was Leslie. I was surprised how much her Walk Away the Pounds made me sweat! I've always discounted walking workouts as fluff, but I actually found them to be effective and fun. Leslie is OK too....in small doses.
Old 09-22-19, 07:07 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
<snip for comment>

Fit in 10 Belly Fix really surprised me. So far, I'm loving this set. The workouts are varied enough that I'm not bored. It's also intense enough that I am feeling it but not too intense that I feel defeated.
That sounds really good to me right now! I may end up with new workouts to try...

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Old 09-22-19, 07:14 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
I do have a "vidiot was surprised" story.

I'm currently working through a virgin system.
Metrx 180.

Previewed cardio tactics 1. Not my kind of workout.
Went ahead and tried it and loved it. The modifier is amazing! And on days I'm short on time I just do the warm-up, first set of cardio, and the stretch. Comes in at around 20 minutes and the stretch is decent.

OTOH, I tried the kickboxing workout from the system and hated it. I am on a kickboxing kick right now, but throwing some punches and then getting on the floor for pushups?

Hard pass.
I have a small pile of virgin workouts - I have a feeling Metrx 180 may be one of them. I'm going to have to check - the Cardio Tactics sounds fun. The KB workout not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
The one instructor that surprised me most after previewing was Leslie. I was surprised how much her Walk Away the Pounds made me sweat! I've always discounted walking workouts as fluff, but I actually found them to be effective and fun. Leslie is OK too....in small doses.
Usia, Leslie was another of my surprises. I have several of her DVDs - I think I'm going to pull them out this week. (Bonus: for some reason, DH will do a Leslie workout with me. Maybe it's because she keeps the steps fairly simple so he can "feel success' (as Jari would say).)

Old 09-22-19, 07:46 PM  
kristiep

Thought I'd hate them, but loved them: UFC Fit and Katami 4x4 systems. I am not sure why I thought I wouldn't like them. Maybe I was just in a weird phase. I sampled the first workout from each set from Kineticflix, loved them, then ordered both sets.

Thought I'd love them, but did not like: Peak Fit workouts. Michelle Dozois is great, and I like the concept. But they move too fast. I never tried all of them after sampling the cardio ones -- maybe there are one or two that I would have liked.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 07:59 PM  
wendug

Brazil Butt Lift with Leandro. I found the set used for little money. Not my usual workout fare, but I was experiencing some hip pain and knew I needed to work on strengthening my hips. Yes, he is cheesy, but the workouts were solid. I did a 30 day rotation and my hip pain disappeared!
Old 09-22-19, 09:16 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiep View Post
Thought I'd hate them, but loved them: UFC Fit and Katami 4x4 systems. I am not sure why I thought I wouldn't like them. Maybe I was just in a weird phase. I sampled the first workout from each set from Kineticflix, loved them, then ordered both sets.

I haven't tried these. I've been interested in Paul Katami but have never tried them. (He has some kettlebell workouts too, right? I think I need to get back into kettlebells.)

Thought I'd love them, but did not like: Peak Fit workouts. Michelle Dozois is great, and I like the concept. But they move too fast. I never tried all of them after sampling the cardio ones -- maybe there are one or two that I would have liked.
I tried these and felt the same way. I bought a couple of downloads at a reasonable price so I was glad for that!

Old 09-23-19, 06:55 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Josée Lavigueur, I recently tried two of her DVDs (Plus ferme que jamais 2, and Cardio step et tonus), I thought they looked good on preview, but they are actually great workouts, and way more challenging than I thought they would be, the first time I did them I was breathing hard and thinking... Wow, I love it!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, josee lavigueur, previewing workouts