Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 01:01 PM  
marki64

Now that my daughter is done with school and has a FT job, we compete for the workout room after work. She is pretty good about letting me go 1st, but I always feel like I have to rush. (We just got an accepted offer on a house and we will soon have a few workout spaces.) I know she won't be living with us for more than a year or 2, but I miss my own space.

My husband has knee issues and recently got a spin bike. We'll see how long that lasts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 01:28 PM  
Pam

Duplicate post.
Old 09-10-19, 01:30 PM  
Pam

My Step Mom is 88 and still walks regularly and goes to exercise classes at her retirement community. Up until a couple years ago she ran the Bolder Boulder 10K every year.

My daughters gave me my first workout VHS, as they loved it. It was Buns of Steel, but I never used it. I was a regular at a gym then.

One DD does now Beachbody streaming almost everyday. She recently went on a trip and she double up workouts before she left, so she would be on track on her rotation when she return.

The other DD and her husband have a gym set in their basement. Her husband is consistent, but DD working FT, a baby and s 2 year old doesn’t often find the time or energy.
Old 09-10-19, 01:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

DH walks with me. He's more of a recreational exerciser...Pokemon, disc golf, regular golf.

Nobody else in my family or circle of friends work out and they all think I am quite nuts.

Although, I am becoming friends with people who take my classes. And I've developed friendships with the other Essentrics teachers who have attended events or teacher training.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 01:56 PM  
Lannette

I think it’s in our blood. My sister is an avid exerciser who is in yoga teacher training. Her husband exercises regularly too.

My adult sons both exercise regularly. My future DIL is a runner and works out with a personal trainer. DH runs, lifts weights and does yoga. Me? I live to exercise.

Since spring my DS, DH and I have been doing yoga together daily and cardio most days. We’re lucky that our home gym (used for my P.T. business) is big enough to accommodate all of us. I really love the time we spend together.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 02:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
My mom is an avid and disciplined exerciser. I don't remember a time in my life when she didn't work out and I'm very near 60. She is still going strong and can outdo me in some areas.
I hope to be able to continue working out like your mom, even if it's just light weights!

what sorts of workouts does she do? very inspiring.

in answer to Alta's question, just my DH. for a little while, my SIL used to do Tae Bo at home, and I shared some of my non-TB DVDs with her. she joined a gym a couple of years ago and was working out with a personal trainer. my SIL is someone who would be open to working out with me I believe.

my middle son will go on walks and uses the college gym regularly.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 02:28 PM  
Venus

I have one friend who runs and goes to the gym regularly. She's also likes and has done Insanity.

Some of my relatives walk, run, or go to the gym.

But most people close to me do not work out regularly.

I've tried to get my family interested in workouts before to no avail. I have even gifted some of them DVDs. I did a Jillian Michaels rotation with my SIL and had my dad try an Essentrics workout. Sometimes, my nieces and nephew will come over while I'm working out and they'll try to join me.

My family are pretty used to my fitness stuff by now, though they think I have more than enough DVDs. They mostly seem to indulge my peculiar habit.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 02:40 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Wow, Nice read.

for those that have family members appreciate the work they also put in. Encourage them to keep going, it is doing its work.

I feel like I'm from another planet because, I do not have 1 person to exercise with. No one to encourage me. No one to ask me what I''m doing today. i feel like an island with nothing but bananas to eat.

When I think about my situation, it makes me sad. I feel sad for the people that don't and sad because I'm a loner.

Don't plan on going to a gym because I don't like it there. That comes from young adult hood when men just stand at the machines and gawking at the women on the leg machines.. so, no I don't want to join any fitness center.

I just wish someone were into videos, or health along with me. or I could at least ask how their day went.

It's hard enough too exercise and keep myself motivated to do it.

be proud of your family and keep encouraging them. Fitness does come in handy when you're I'll which is not to often because you are healthy.)

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 03:57 PM  
patchworkpenguin

My mid 70's parents belong to ATC and go several times a week but only use the cardio machines.

My Hubby has a very physical job and so gets his exercise at work, but he's done or watched me workout at times in the past and has an appreciation for how hard I work.

Most of my friends are 10-30 years older than me and take walks or go to a gym/have a trainer. I think I'm the only one who uses DVDs.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 04:01 PM  
ellaenchanted

My parents go.to the gum daily and my mom often goes on after dinner walks with my aunts.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, physical fitness