Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-17, 07:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Jeanne, I like the idea of practicing camel lying on your side. I sometimes have my students practice balance poses lying to get the shape of the pose without the balance element (like tree lying on the floor), but I hadn't thought of this with a backbend like camel!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:44 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Jeannine - I like the idea of a side lying camel, good idea! A favourite mod of mine is half moon against a wall.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 10:55 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Jeannine - I like the idea of a side lying camel, good idea! A favourite mod of mine is half moon against a wall.
great idea using the wall for half moon. the few times i've tried it, i would go really slow to get my balance in check.

when i was a kid, my friend taught me how to do a standing back bend using a wall behind you as you descend to the ground.

you could do the same with camel, with your back toward the wall. your head will reach the wall right before your hands touch your ankles - go slow so that you don't bump your head. your head can rest against the wall as you engage your other muscles for the pose.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 08:27 PM  
katmom

A favorite modification I use for camel is a block under my toes. This is hard to explain, but put the block on the lowest height under your butt, then position your toes on the block and flex your feet. This is a variation on flexing the feet on the floor and reaching for the heels of the foot except the toes are on the block which brings the heels higher and easier to reach. It was in one of the Yoga International newsletters (found the link!).

https://yogainternational.com/articl...s-to-use-props

In half moon pose and twisted triangle pose, I like to use a block under the bottom hand at any height (usually low or medium height). This gives a bit more space in the side body.

Tags
yoga, yoga modifications