Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-14, 07:59 AM  
andtckrtoo

P57 Revisted

Hi All -

A few years ago I did P57 as a rotation for a few weeks and noticed my thighs getting bigger. But I was doing P57 daily - following their rotation. I've been doing TA for a while, but as I have had knee surgery and really need to build up the muscle in my quads and hamstrings, I pulled out P57 again. First this I noticed was that after years of TA, P57 wasn't the killer workout I thought it was. The second is that when I finished I felt wonderful. I haven't felt that good after a workout since I did a round of yoga. Weird.

So, my question is - has anyone done a rotation of P57 that is not daily? I'm thinking of rotating cardio (Zumba or other dance, kickboxing, spinning...) and P57. Does anyone do that?
Old 12-01-14, 08:19 AM  
prettyinpink

I do a lot of barre, Ballet Body, P57, other things sometimes, but I have never used them as daily workouts except for a few weeks of a BB rotation where each day was a focus on one body area.

Usually it's 3 times a week with other stuff the other days. Four times max.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 08:21 AM  
andtckrtoo

Thanks, that makes sense, Pink.
Old 12-01-14, 09:30 AM  
topfitmama

You may still be able to try one of their streaming workouts for free. The offer runs through December 1st. I tried Strong And Lean this morning and I hope I can still do Physique Mat early tomorrow morning. The rental says I can use it until December 3rd.

I did P57 (only the 30 minute workouts) combined with Firm Express and walking one summer. I didn't bulk and my upper body and abs looked really good. My thighs are always bulky, but they didn't look any worse. They got harder and looked better.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 10:08 AM  
momofcha

Christine - when I was doing a P57 rotation I alternated it with strength, and P57 was my "cardio"

I did a strength/cardio/strength/cardio rotation.

For example:
Sun - P57
Mon - strength - kettlebells, CLX, Beast
Tues - P57
Wed - kettlebells, CLX, etc...

I think you get the idea. I was in the best shape of my life doing this rotation....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 02:07 PM  
slysam

P57 was the first barre workout I tried--I bought the volume 1 set without knowing that people approach barre differently than other strength training. I had some experience with live classes in Pilates, ballet and yoga as well as traditional gym workouts. I used as heavy of weights as I could (and didn't always do all the reps). At that time I had 5, 7 and 10 pound weights and would start with the 10 then drop when I couldn't do another rep with good form. Like I said, though I knew it was a mind/body type workout and applied what I learned from pilates, yoga and ballet, I didn't know about the small weights people typically use. Since I was treating ti as traditional strength training I only did P57 three days a week with cardio on alternate days. I had really good results with this and my legs looked really good. I got strong enough to do full on pushups for the first time in my life. I know my weights were low for traditional weights, but I was new to strength training again and never really stuck with strength training more than a few months.

I think barre can still work if it is only a few days a week. The only time I have done barre daily was a few weeks ago when there were free classes at the local barre3 studio (I went 6 days in a row). I don't see myself doing barre daily long-term because I am too much of a variety hound. The closest was when I alternated barre with TA, pilates and ballet workouts, I ended up doing some similar exercises daily but the overall emphasis was different with the different workouts. I could see P57 working really well alternated with cardio, lighter barre, or TA.

I never had any barre bulking or exercise bulking that I noticed. when I do challenging workouts I weigh a couple pounds more but I have never noticed it causing a tighter fit in my clothing. When I did the 6 Barre 3 workouts I gained a couple temporary pounds, but my jeans were fitting a little looser by the end of the week despite the gain. It was likely water swelling but just not in the waist (where my jeans felt looser). I think spinning and P57 would be too quad heavy--at least for me. It might be great for you. But I prefer dance and kickboxing (or drill) type cardio that involves a variety of movement paths and angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Hi All -

A few years ago I did P57 as a rotation for a few weeks and noticed my thighs getting bigger. But I was doing P57 daily - following their rotation. I've been doing TA for a while, but as I have had knee surgery and really need to build up the muscle in my quads and hamstrings, I pulled out P57 again. First this I noticed was that after years of TA, P57 wasn't the killer workout I thought it was. The second is that when I finished I felt wonderful. I haven't felt that good after a workout since I did a round of yoga. Weird.

So, my question is - has anyone done a rotation of P57 that is not daily? I'm thinking of rotating cardio (Zumba or other dance, kickboxing, spinning...) and P57. Does anyone do that?
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-14, 05:13 PM  
andtckrtoo

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas here!

Sue - I need more cardio, so P57 would be my strength. I gain muscles fairly easily.

TFM - I have a couple of the P57 teed up. I'm looking forward to trying them!

Slysam - I did Zumba today. I only added spinning in there because I have a spin bike and I enjoy it. I think I could get away it once or twice a week.
Old 12-02-14, 03:26 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas here!

Sue - I need more cardio, so P57 would be my strength. I gain muscles fairly easily.

TFM - I have a couple of the P57 teed up. I'm looking forward to trying them!

Slysam - I did Zumba today. I only added spinning in there because I have a spin bike and I enjoy it. I think I could get away it once or twice a week.
Sure, I think with cardio people should follow their bliss. Really with any workout, but I do strength training to enable me to better enjoy life not because I enjoy it. It may be different for someone who really enjoys strength training. I happen to enjoy a lot of cardio activities (especially dancing) so it is playtime for me and I think that helps with the exercise "high". So if you enjoy spinning--go for it! I usually don't prefer repetitive motion cardio because I get bored, it isn't for any aesthetic reason. I think if I had a machine at home I would use it while watching tv or films (or listening to great music) and would likely do more of that type of workout. I tend to think if you are doing an aerobic exercise a couple times a week it isn't likely to "bulk" (whatever that is--it means different things to different people I think). I think that is more of a "risk" with increased frequency. I sometimes wonder whether I don't feel like I ahve exercise "bulk" because I vary the activities so much that I am usually only doing one thing 1-3 times a week and the activities use a lot of muscle group so the water swelling is spread out enough I don't notice it. I see the temporary weight gain but have not yet noticed any size gain or tight clothing fit from exercise.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p57, physique 57, physique 57 rotation