Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-14, 03:14 AM  
bigtree

Anyone get lower back pain with PiYo?

I've only really been using two of the PiYo workouts - Drench and Sweat - they're the only ones I think are ok (not really feeling the love for the set at all) although I've done them all (apart from the ones with the gliding disks) but for the last few weeks I've developed really nasty lower back pain and I've never ever had lower back pain in my life. Initially I thought it was because I just needed to improve my flexibility so I did them more often but then I started to think hey, maybe it's the PiYo workouts themselves that are actually causing the pain. Dunno - down dog open hip split never really felt quite right to me. Not sure if the back pain is a coincidence or whether it's related to PiYo. Anyone else experience this?
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 01:39 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree View Post
I've only really been using two of the PiYo workouts - Drench and Sweat - they're the only ones I think are ok (not really feeling the love for the set at all) although I've done them all (apart from the ones with the gliding disks) but for the last few weeks I've developed really nasty lower back pain and I've never ever had lower back pain in my life. Initially I thought it was because I just needed to improve my flexibility so I did them more often but then I started to think hey, maybe it's the PiYo workouts themselves that are actually causing the pain. Dunno - down down open hip split never really felt quite right to me. Not sure if the back pain is a coincidence or whether it's related to PiYo. Anyone else experience this?
Looks like you might not be the only one; I found this discussion on Team Beachbody: http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect...sage/434216942.

Last edited by Betty Boop; 10-05-14 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Betty Boop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 04:30 PM  
bigtree

Oooh...very interesting! Thanks for the link.
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 08:07 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Um, me. I like the two defines and sort of Sweat. I'm finding that the workouts really bug my lower back. Drat.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 06:00 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Looks like you might not be the only one; I found this discussion on Team Beachbody: http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect...sage/434216942.
Perhaps I am alone here, but I caught a whiff of "no one else is complaining; you must be doing it wrong" from at least one post. Yeah, maybe ... but it could also be that the exercises in this particular program are problematic for lots of people. For example, there have been numerous reports here on VF that PiYo hurts their wrists.

I'm sorry this is happening, bigtree ... it sounds like an appealing program, but not if the exercises in it cause back pain for you.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 06:06 AM  
PhyllisG

I thought the same thing after reading the posts. Also the idea that the pain could be the result of being tight in your lower back and this might be that area loosening up and thereby causing discomfort. I don't think so. If it hurts, don't do it is my belief.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 06:55 AM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Perhaps I am alone here, but I caught a whiff of "no one else is complaining; you must be doing it wrong" from at least one post.
Based upon that person's name and some of the language, e.g. "It's good to get this kind of feedback. Thanks for providing it," I'm thinking he may be Beachbody staff. Also interesting is the first post from a BB coach who is wondering what to tell customers. Whew! No wonder all exercise videos post disclaimers.
Old 10-06-14, 07:22 AM  
raeven

Sorry to hear about your back pain! I would say stop doing piyo and do some other gentle exercises till the pain goes away. Then start piyo again and see if the pain comes back. Then stop at the first sign of it if it does!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 03:31 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I only did about three weeks of PiYo and began feeling some discomfort in my lower back, so I backed off. I do sprinkle them in to whatever else I'm doing, just for some variety as I find I do like most of the workouts. I'm just not going to do a PiYo only rotation. I have too many other interests.

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 08:18 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

The reason I sold PIYO was that Chalene really didn't have many Pilates moves that strengthen your back and the yoga moves were mostly forward bends. Heavy on the planks and just didn't feel the love. I like what I have found on Youtube but those are mostly short programs. Too bad as the set could of been great.
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piyo, piyo reviews