Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-14, 10:13 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I listen to my body. The body warns you when it's not happy about something, so if there is a twinge of pain while you do a movement, it's best to stop.

I build up gradually. It's important to do less than you think you can, when you first begin a new exercise program, and gradually add intensity to future workouts. I apply this rule to strength and cardio.

I do a variety of workouts. I don't do the same workout on consecutive days.

I allow enough rest after intense workouts. Especially when it comes to strength workouts, I allow my muscles to recover before working them again.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 09:10 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I avoid overhead presses and upright rows, knowing I have shoulders that haven't reacted well in the past to those moves (and knowing that lateral raises, front raises, reverse flies and rotator cuff moves can all be combined to keep my shoulders healthy & yes, it's okay to substitute moves in a routine!)

I also try to do Pilates side series-type floorwork at least once a week to keep the all those little muscles in the butt and such in good shape to prevent knee pain, ditto doing squats and lunges once a week with good form to keep those quads and everything else contributing to healthy knees.

And I forgive myself for not doing push-ups on my toes & doing one rep for every two reps of push-ups on my knees (if the moves are going fast in a video routine) since I don't want to kill my wrists with sloppy form. I also forgive myself for taking a 15-second rest when Cathe & her crew are powering through a few more reps of dips, etc. and my triceps are about to collapse...

And cross-training is key -- mixing up yoga with strength training and cardio so it's all more fun & overuse injuries are mitigated!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, injury, injury prevention