Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-11, 09:37 AM  
F1mom

OMG! I pulled up the South Park version. No way I'm working out with that, that, THING.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:03 AM  
Sissy B

You're right - the SNL commercial is priceless. I don't watch South Park so I pulled up the You Tube clips.

I wanted to take one of these as a Dirty Santa gift to a Christmas party this year - I thought it would be hysterical - but they cost more than our gift limit.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:27 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I actually bought a Shake Weight , tried it , then took it back. I can see how the movement might have some benefit, especially for someone who is out of condition, and to focus on arm-toning, but it felt uncomfortable in my hands (like if I used it much at all, I'd get blisters---but I have narrow hands. Also, there's no progressive resistance possible (unless you go on to buy the 'men's' version), so you'd just have to do more and more to get the same benefits.

The other day, I was using a battery-free flashlight that I have that works by shaking it (in the same way you do the SW) so that a magnetic or something passes back and forth between another thingamajig to make stored energy. From what I recall, it felt very similar to a Shakeweight (and it has more than one use!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:37 AM  
mle777

I received one of these as a surprise gift from my parents for Christmas. My mom was trying the Shake Weight and then suddenly stopped, put it down and said "oh that's nasty" lol. Right after that, my sister walked up and started trying it and she said "I could do this all day" which drew quite a bit of laughter The one that I got didn't come with the Jennifer Galardi workout, which is to bad b/c I really like her.

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 10:53 AM  
lorajc

Sigh.....I love Jen....and I was actually shocked when I noticed her on the commercial. ???? what was/is she thinking?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 11:54 AM  
michl43

Smile

I bought it and have used it several times... It does seem to do provide some resistance/ works the arm muscles in a way that is more "stress relief" than toning, and even the core a little.. It seems worthy of $20 to me.... good to do while watching TV once in a while. myself I would be interested in seeing the Jen Galardi dvd, but i wouldn't pay more than a few dollars for it.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 11:58 AM  
BeChi

Don't watch programmed TV that much, so South Park, SNL, Jimmy Kimmel are null and void in my life. I do however have a Shakeweight. Got it 2009 when there was a $10 Target giftcard with purchase. Never really used it enough to get any type of true benefit. I was sorely disappointed that it wasn't motorized! When I first pulled it out of the package was was looking for the ON switch.

The ad that makes me laugh is for the men's version of the Shakeweight. My man won't even touch it in the store.

Maybe I'll commit to using it every day next month and give a report.
BeChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 10:31 AM  
Sissy B

BeChi - If you think the actual Shake Weight for Men commercial is funny, search You Tube for the parodies. They are hysterical.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jennifer galardi, shake weight