Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-10, 04:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Dance off the Inches Cardio Hip Hop Jennifer Galardi - reviews?

i thought i saw a review here, and did a search, but couldn't find it.

i have most of her videos (don't have sweating sexy yet) but have pretty much everythin else, including ballet body.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 04:43 PM  
cpcathy

I wrote my thoughts back in September. I still have not done the video twice. Here is my cut and paste.

I tried Jenn Galardi's new DOTI workout--which I was really looking forward to and jumped at the chance to buy it at Target... and, well, the jury is out. I only did a few minutes of it, since I had worked so hard on Sunday and was really beat, but I previewed a lot more of it. First off, I can say the fun factor is not as high as her previous Hip Hop DOTI, which is one of my favorite workouts. This one has funkier music, a different vibe, kinda "street," if you'll excuse the expression. Jen is wearing a little t shirt with cutouts and capri jeans, and has two backup dancers. The set is not the living room set from last DOTI. There's a big orange wall in the back that I kinda hate. Some of the moves seem high impact, you're jumping your feet together and then apart, all the girls do it, no one is a modifier. I will have to keep trying this one, like I said I only previewed most of it. I had high expectations since Jenn's first DOTI is so much fun!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 03:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've done 15 min of this workout and i like it. i'll post my impressions of the rest of the workout in the next couple of days.

of the many dance workouts that i own, i tend to like Jenn as an instructor. i find that she has a good balance of dance ability, without it looking fake, mixed with athleticism. she has a good groove to me, and it gives me inspiration.

most dance workouts are either too dancer oriented (where you have to already be a good dancer) or too aerobics-looking.

in this workout, the moves are slightly more fancy than what she's done before. it gives me something to aspire too, yet it's not so complicated or so funky that i want to give up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 01-14-11, 03:30 PM  
cpcathy

I think I was put off by the amount of hopping or jumping. I still haven't done this workout a second time. I really should. I love Jenn as an instructor and basically bought this sight unseen, and I would do the same for any other videos she puts out. I've so been out of my dance mood lately.

Old 01-19-11, 02:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I think I was put off by the amount of hopping or jumping. I still haven't done this workout a second time. I really should. I love Jenn as an instructor and basically bought this sight unseen, and I would do the same for any other videos she puts out. I've so been out of my dance mood lately.
hi cathy - i finally finished the last 30 min of this workout.

it appeals to me because i found it challenging since the moves aren't as intuitive (i.e., more creative) and required me to pay attention. i didn't do the tutorial before doing it. i might just do the tutorial now that i've done the workout just to perfect my moves in case the neighbors see me trying to "pop" !!!

i hope in the future that they show Jenn really going all out and showing her dance w/o the purpose of teaching, just so that i can see her perform.

i have a fair amount of dance workouts. the hardest one i think i own is Paula Abdul (i had a belly dance one - Dance with Lisa Nunziella - was way too hard so i traded it). i'm trying to actually improve my personal dance moves, and my body movements (i don't plan to all-out dance) mostly for stage presence purposes (i'm in a band, and boy do i just stick with basic side to side, nothing fancy).

this workout is good if you want more creative moves from a good instructor.

for exercise purposes, the last slow segment before the c/d appealed to me a lot - i wanted to repeat that segment - it was so lovely (elongating, but upbeat).

Old 01-20-11, 10:49 AM  
cpcathy

I'm on a dance workout kick (doing Core Rhythms), and I think I will tackle this one.

Old 01-20-11, 03:52 PM  
killoffsonny

Bzar do you have any of Patricks? I bought two a few weeks ago and tried to do one. I find it very difficult. It will take me some time to get it. I"m sending the unopened one back. I also ordered one of Jenns but haven't given it a try yet.
Old 01-20-11, 10:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Bzar do you have any of Patricks? I bought two a few weeks ago and tried to do one. I find it very difficult. It will take me some time to get it. I"m sending the unopened one back. I also ordered one of Jenns but haven't given it a try yet.
bec - for the reasons you described, i am skeered of Patrick - saw one of his DVDs in the used bookstore, but shied away!!!!

the other series - So You Think You Can Dance - is not bad. they spend lots of time instructing, but i do the instructional part and really emphasize the moves to get a good elongation vibe going.

CosmoGirl Get Fit and Fab is a dance workout with Jillian Michaels - is also not bad - intermediate - and i kinda like this one - have only done it once. i like that Jillian is the "student" in this one, because me having no Dance Mojo makes me feel at home with this workout!!!

Tags
dance off the inches, doti, jennifer galardi