Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-17, 06:16 PM  
spotted zebra

Kym Johnson 5678 Fitness DVD & other DWTS inspired workouts

Which Dancing with the Stars workout DVDs are the best? I'm looking at Mary's clip of Kym Johnson's 5678 Fitness DVD released in 2016. A friend at work has Louis Van Amstel's LaBlast which I haven't seen, but I don't think I want to invest in a 3 (or 5) DVD set - I'd rather try a single DVD. Any favorites out there, or titles to avoid? This is Kym's:

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Kym...gram-p/884.htm
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 09:08 AM  
spotted zebra

I read in past reviews of other DWTS programs (on VF and elsewhere) Kym gets a good rating for being a decent instructor. Not all the dance pros do. So I went ahead and ordered. These look like fun routines to me.

As for LaBlast DVDs - they're OOP. Probably because (1) LaBlast is being taught in gyms now, and (2) you can do it online through the website. Great idea, to bring it to gyms.
Old 02-27-17, 07:50 PM  
Bluebelle

The clip looks fun. I've added this to my wish list. Thanks!
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 10:21 PM  
primrosecat

I am definitely interested in this! Yes, it looks fun, but I love the way the instructor, Kim, looks. She actually has a waist. I want this dvd.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 06:56 AM  
Cher

Let us know your thoughts when you try it out.....please!! This looks really fun to me!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 10:11 AM  
spotted zebra

I will. I doubt it will arrive before next week so others may get theirs earlier. Kym also has a new book on Amazon called The 5678 Diet: The 14-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss.
Old 03-11-17, 01:23 AM  
spotted zebra

So I've taken a few nights to both preview this DVD and do the exercises. I found the dances and choreography fun and straightforward to follow, and I forget that I'm "working out" just because they're so enjoyable. I also like how she includes the other fitness sections besides the dance routines. The clip at Mary's website represents the DVD well. If the clip appeals to you you'd probably enjoy the DVD. If you're iffy about the clip then it might be best to not get it as there are no big surprises. I like that it's completely different from my other programs. I like Kym. There's only one thing I'd change about the DVD if I could - unfortunately there's no "Play All" option on the menu. Just the list of sections which you can play one at a time, then when the section finishes it returns you to the top of the menu list so you need to scroll down to play the next section. But I got used to that after a while so for me it's not a deal breaker. The individual sections would work well as short add ons to other programs (like the Virtual hikes and runs I'm doing that are also so much fun!) I think the DVD is a keeper and I'm glad I tried it.
Old 03-11-17, 07:38 PM  
Bluebelle

thanks for the review
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 10:42 PM  
Cher

Thanks for the review. I've still been thinking abput getting it. How hard was the choreography for you to pick up?
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 12:30 PM  
spotted zebra

It wasn't as difficult to catch on to the choreography as I initially thought it might be. Kym demonstrates breakdowns slowly at first, then you speed up after a few repetitions. The one part I had to stop and repeat to get right the first time were turns in the Cha Cha. I think after a couple of times of doing the whole program most newbies would get the movements down, if not sooner as it's not overly complex.

My favourite parts are the Paso Doble and Salsa Samba Fusion, and I like the Waltz cool down. I enjoyed the Jive more than I thought I would. The Cha Cha was probably a good choice as the first dance to show some basics you use later in other parts.

As this DVD is for beginners to this type of dance, I wonder if Kym will make more advanced DVDs and turn it into a series. Once you get the hang of the basic movements and instructions you might want to work through them more quickly from the beginning to keep your heart rate elevated, or even move on to more complex choreography. I'm at the point where I appreciate the slower demos for each one and how basic it is as this is still new to me.

Kym is starting up her own business (a dance and fitness studio) so I wonder if this will be the last season she does DWTS on TV. For more info this is Kym's website: http://www.officialkymjohnson.com/

She has the cutest little white dog named Lola, who was at the DWTS dance studio one time when Kym was practising with Robert. Lola unfortunately doesn't make an appearance on this DVD. I was hoping she would!

Tags
dwts workouts, kym johnson